Is Ally the Man for the job? - The McCoist Thread

I'm just concerned about him as manager, it stretches back to this time last year when he struggled from the offset. With the squad we had then we should have won the SPL even with the 10 point deduction.

I am concerned about him as manager too. But last season and this are very, very different. If we had the same squad right now as we did last season and achieving the same results and performances then it would already be time to go. But there was a complete overhaul needed taking place.

Yes, we should be beating these teams. But we have had no pre-season, a completely new team in place and almost ALL of these players would have been wondering if they would even be playing football this season.

I am by no means coming out in full support of Ally, but I just think that there are so very few similarities between last season and this when considering personnel. Performances perhaps, but personnel means it is a new team and we need to remind ourselves of that.

Of those in the team yesterday only Boca and McCulloch had any significant playing time last season as 1st choice players. Little came in post admin and even Alexander was bit-part.

...in fairness to Bluenose80 five of those guys will be 30+ in three years time.

Really ? That wasnt what Bluenose suggested though, was it ?

In fairness the whole team will be over 30 in 12 years time. It is a silly suggestion IMO.

You cant throw out a statement of "we have bought a bunch of 30+ year olds" and then say "well, actually, they will all be 30 in 3 yrs time". Come on guys.

if we are going down that route then, in fairness, more than a third of our team yesterday were in their early 20's or younger, whilst a further third of them were coming into their "prime years" and only the spine of the team (Alexander, Boca, Cribari & McCulloch) were the wrong side of 30.

I would contend that a third of experience, a third heading into their prime and a third in their relative infancy (pre-prime years if you like) is a pretty reasonable balance.

I wonder if we would be getting the same responses if we fielded an U19 team yesterday and got gubbed ? I doubt it. It would be "where is the experience".

Guest Bluenose80
I am concerned about him as manager too. But last season and this are very, very different. If we had the same squad right now as we did last season and achieving the same results and performances then it would already be time to go. But there was a complete overhaul needed taking place.

Yes, we should be beating these teams. But we have had no pre-season, a completely new team in place and almost ALL of these players would have been wondering if they would even be playing football this season.

I am by no means coming out in full support of Ally, but I just think that there are so very few similarities between last season and this when considering personnel. Performances perhaps, but personnel means it is a new team and we need to remind ourselves of that.

Of those in the team yesterday only Boca and McCulloch had any significant playing time last season as 1st choice players. Little came in post admin and even Alexander was bit-part.

You're right that the personnel has changed however our approach to games has not and this is the main problem. I would say its still a bit too early to fully judge where we are as we too many players who are new or coming back from injuries but even Ally himself said today the performance should have been much better as it appears the players attitude is not what it should be and the question is why?

You're right that the personnel has changed but the football philosophy we are using clearly hasn't. It didn't work with old players and is not working with the new players. Ally said at the end of the game he was very unhappy but he has said this before and not acted on it, this time he needs to take action and should not simply be a case of replacing the younger players with older ones which is generally how Ally makes changes. I would make the changes below:

1. No more McCulloch in midfield he has never had a remotely good game there, Kyle Hutton should be there next game or we should be told the reason why he's not

2. Perry is no RB which showed today put him in the middle with Boca

3. Little and McCulloch up front as the goal today was a great example of how they should play together. Sandaza has not impressed in the games he's played as he wastes too many of the opportunities he gets.

But we dont know if he has acted on it or not. Just because they are playing the same way doesnt mean he hasnt tried to deal with it. I am saying neither. The squad isnt filled yet and he doesnt have a great many options. The issue that we are all seeing is the ball being lumped from back to front, right ? Well if that is accepted as the case then he needed to play an injured Boca yesterday because of lack of options - yes, I know Hegarty is there and Cole is there but would you have played Hegarty, Cole & Perry in the back 4 ? Or maybe Faure ? Only just arrived, would you honestly ? Or big Jig back there ? I dont think ANY of us want that.

He had Boca half-fit, Wallace and Broadfoot out injured and 3 guys who have only just arrived. Which is why I am still in the "give it time" mode. This squad is evolving.

Now, hopefully, he will be telling every single player to get it on the deck, we dont know if he is or isnt but if the long ball persists then we will have no option but to assume 1 of 2 things : he is telling them to play that way or they arent listening to him. Either will likely result in his resignation or dismissal.

Did Ally not bring McKay on the other week to great effect ? Did he not bring Crawford on yesterday ? Not every replacement is a young guy off and an old one on. In fact, many have been screamoung out for the young guys to get a game, so if what you say is true he is giving the young guys the game time we wanted them to get. I am truly confused as to what we want.

Re your numbered points.....

1. I agree completely. Big Jig was somewhat of a revelation up top post-admin. My preference would be for Jig to play up top and for Kyle Hutton to play in midfield or I would be just as happy playing a diamond formation with Black anchoring and McKay at the top of the diamond.

2. I agree - I could be wrong but I reckon Faure would have played there yesterday if he had been with us a bit longer. Also, McCoist probably went with the "devil you know" - Perry has done OK in that position in the SPL but it clearly isnt his preferred position. Play him CB or not at all.

3. Again I agree although I would be as happy having Shiels play up top with Jig. Little recently has seemed to have that "Naismith knack" of arriving late and nabbing a goal from the right side of the pitch.

Sandaza should come good but he, like most others, will need time to get used to his team-mates. We have far more options up top than we had this time last year with Jig, Shiels, Sandaza, Little, Kyle and even McKay can play there.

We need midfielders and a settled defence, a defence which starts the play with the ball at their feet.

What is most frustrating for me, more than ANY of this, is yet again the complete lack of tempo. McCoist said our fitness should be superior than these teams - but that only works if you actually WORK the other team by pressuring them and also keeping possession and forcing them around the pitch without the ball. We havent done that for a very long time.