Slightly concerned about feedback from Green's NI trip

I'm finished with this mate I've had enough with everybody on gods earth telling me, me and mine we are the scum of the earth without having to come on here and listen to the same shit because somebody asked for an Orange top ffs.

I don't anyone is scum for for wanting an orange top.

I don't think anyone is scum for being in the Orange Order.

I just don't think there's any need or long-term benefit from cashing in on our historical connections to the orange order.

I'm not denying our history, I'm merely saying that it is history and isn't relevant today.

I'm not scared of offending anyone, I just think it undermines any attempt to take politics and religion out of football.

And I do strongly feel that that is the way forward for our club. It should be about football. Nothing more.

Edited by Thinker

Its very disappointing indeed GA.

In particular I find a prevailing attitude expressed throughout that the OO = sectarian particularly disappointing.

Either you are totally misreading the posts or you are just making it up to get offended.

I haven't seen anything about the OO being sectarian. What people have a problem with is hijacking a religious order you don't really give a shit about, just to noise up another religious order. How is that behaviour that should be celebrated?

I've read before that the OO are actually against that kind of crap an d that it tends to be the hangers on that cause most of the trouble on their marches.

The whole thing is hypocrisy as it's all supposed to be about following the teachings of Christ, worshipping your god and living a good and just life. I really don't see any of that coming through in any of the false idol worshipping of who would be considered heathens by the protestants of the 17th century.

If you're into the OO, why not join it and follow its teachings instead of forcing a load of false crap onto the supporters of a football club so you can have a go at others? Just which of Christ's teachings are you following? "Love thy enemy"?

And there in a nutshell is the problem with this thread, some on here coming very close to calling Rangers Fans bigots because they want an Orange Top and should bugger off to the other bigots in the working class sites.

Hang your heads in shame the lot of you, this place has just dropped a little in my estimations over the course of this thread.

Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Anchorman chose to play the 'class' card and project his on prejudices onto others. He has no idea the background or social standing of the people he chose to insult on here, class snobbery is vile whether it is inverted or traditional.

If those who want an orange strip can't take fellow supporters questioning it then fuck knows how you'll do when the 'outside' world asks the same questions.

Grow a set for fuxake.

Don't really want to get involved in this particular debate....however...

I would like to think that given the amount of split opinions about a particular colour of strip, CG & co would really think about what they plan to do next. If they feel that there is sufficient justification etc for opting for ANY colour then they go for it, if there is any doubt, they should opt for something else.

Rubbish, utter rubbish.

Anchorman chose to play the 'class' card and project his on prejudices onto others. He has no idea the background or social standing of the people he chose to insult on here, class snobbery is vile whether it is inverted or traditional.

Ha ha ha ha - What complete and utter shite and you fuckin know it!! The 'class' card was played when someone suggested we pander to the middle classes who are staying away as 'we don't have our PR right yet'. I said fuck them as Rangers is not and never should be divided into classes. Read the posts before posting inaccuracies, but why let the truth get in the way?

I didn't know there was a class structure in Rangers boards. If someone could explain it to me, I would be egregiously platitudinous in their direction for a considerable series of twelvemonths.

Are you George Galloway's love child? I do admire your indefatigability !!!

Either you are totally misreading the posts or you are just making it up to get offended.

I haven't seen anything about the OO being sectarian. What people have a problem with is hijacking a religious order you don't really give a shit about, just to noise up another religious order. How is that behaviour that should be celebrated?

I've read before that the OO are actually against that kind of crap an d that it tends to be the hangers on that cause most of the trouble on their marches.

The whole thing is hypocrisy as it's all supposed to be about following the teachings of Christ, worshipping your god and living a good and just life. I really don't see any of that coming through in any of the false idol worshipping of who would be considered heathens by the protestants of the 17th century.

If you're into the OO, why not join it and follow its teachings instead of forcing a load of false crap onto the supporters of a football club so you can have a go at others? Just which of Christ's teachings are you following? "Love thy enemy"?

Oh really ?

Then perhaps you would do well to look a bit harder next time before you suggest Im either "misreading" or "making up posts to be offended"

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE View Post

Great thread - I'm in the Max and Mr Steel camp. I deplore any links that the club has to the sectarian OO. Just my opinion.

I have in front of me an official Rangers LP (album for the younger ones) from 1968 called Follow Follow Rangers sung by The Blue Boys Of Ibrox. [it's the one with the big Rangers rosette on the front with the little good luck horseshoe in the middle]. On the back is a summary of our history to the point in time. There is also the paragraph - "The songs are from the past. Tunes of glory. Melodies that ring out with the romance of Rangers. Words that spin out the glittering parade of their triumphs. They are songs of the people because Rangers are of the people. In a city where the harsher facts of life are known to most men, Rangers help to provide the alchemy that can dust a dull life with golden promise. For no deeper reason than that they will follow Rangers, and sing their praises. THESE ARE THE ANTHEMS". The songs on the LP include The Sash My Father Wore, No Surrender, Orange Lilly'o.

To say that the Orange Order has (or has had) nothing to do with Rangers doesn't show the whole picture. In fact it is very much open for debate, and possibly with no 'right' answer to be found. For generations of families who remember Glasgow life back then will remember they were very close cousins [and have remained so in many peoples eyes]. To dismiss the link now is to dismiss generations of beliefs among many fans, particularly in Glasgow. It is a very emotive subject as this thread proves and I don't think anyone is in a position to take the moral high ground.