walter returns to rangers

What kuznetzov is looking for is not to be found this side of Saturn's rings, so the day s/he will be satisfied with mangerial-things Rangers is a long way off.

I would hope that Walter is back to make sure that the club is never ever been placed in a position like those we had under Murray/Lloyds and Whyte. And hopefully he will be one who conveys a supporter's view in these board meetings. (In the short term, no doubt about that, his appointment will help us with the share issue.)

What some people want is something that is very difficult to deliver. They want a manager that can consistently beat all other managers. There are few in the world that come close and none are infallible. Man U have been very lucky in having probably the best manager ever over an incredibly long period of time - although it has helped that he has had top money to spend on players (maybe he hasn't been that good after all). However, he did a fantastic job at St Mirren and Aberdeen on a much lower budget.

Mourinho is another very consistently astute manager but he rarely stays long at a club and also needs top dollar to do his magic and we couldn't supply him with what he needs.

But who else is there? How do you guarantee perennial success against your financial peers as well as playing a level above your financial inferiors plus punching well above your weight in Europe?

I don't really see how it can be achieved unless you are really, really lucky and end up with a Struth or a Stein as well as a couple of generations of highly talented local players.

Outside that you would expect in the marathon of the league that a club should expect to beat teams with far less resources over a season - and in the last 30 years we failed to that completely just once. Cup games tend to be a bit of a lottery and to win one you the OF also have to beat their main rival and peer or have them slip up to someone else that then has to be beaten. However, we've done not too badly there either.

So you really have to wonder, what it that the most critical of fans actually expect realistically?

http://t.co/WXvZDJkM

Walter Smith last night returned to Rangers for the third time in his career after accepting an invitation to become a non-executive director.

The former Rangers manager will be joined by the businessman, Ian Hart, who has agreed to a similar offer. Both men will take up their positions with immediate effect.

Smith has been considering the offer for several weeks, and was adamant that he will not play any role in the football operation, since he does not want to overshadow his friend and protege, manager Ally McCoist.

The board appointments are also significant since they represent a show of support and commitment to the current owners ahead of the launch of a share issue. Roadshows with potential institutional investors will begin this week, before fans are invited to buy stakes in the club.

"Serious constructive efforts are being made to rebuild Rangers after a very difficult period in the club's history and if I can play a part helping that process, I am willing to do so," Smith said. "Apart from being a former manager, I am first and foremost a supporter, and am no different from the many thousands of other Rangers fans who have shown they're willing to do what they can to ensure Rangers rise again.

"I must make it clear, however, that I will not be playing any role in the day-to-day running of the club or the team. It's the manager's job to run the team and the chief executive's job to run the club's affairs. The role I will fulfil is to bring my experience of Rangers and football in general to the board table. The people who purchased the club have shown over the last few months they are serious in their intentions to rebuild Rangers and I am happy, as many other fans have done, to lend my support."

Hart is a close friend of Douglas Park, the businessman who was a prominent member of the Blue Knights group whose bid to buy the club was scuppered last May by Charles Green's consortium. Hart was initially named as one of Green's investors after money he previously donated to the club's youth department was transformed into shares, and he has been assisting the new owners in recent months.

"The board felt there was a need to bring in people with background and experience in the west of Scotland," said Hart, who is now retired. "I have been a supporter of the club and youth development programme, in particular, for a very long time and this is an area that will become increasingly important to all clubs in years to come."

The Rangers board now comprises the chairman, Malcolm Murray, the chief executive, Green, the finance director, Brian Stockbridge, plus Smith and Hart.

"It is extremely important to have a board that has the respect of investors and Rangers supporters," said Green. "The consortium I led to buy the club are not Rangers people but there could be none better than Walter and Ian to fill that void."

The return of Smith, who guided Rangers to the club's nine-in-a-row success, then won a further three titles in his second spell in charge from 2007 to 2011, will be reassuring to supporters ahead of the share issue, with fans able to buy into the initial public offering at a minimum of £500, or through the Rangers Supporters Trust Buy Rangers scheme, which was launched last week.

"The board and management are delighted that Walter and Ian are joining," said Murray. "They bring integrity, wisdom, experience and excellent contacts, and will ensure the highest standards of ethics and governance are maintained."

the basics done well.

taking games to inferior teams, showing initiative.

a decent to good signing record.

one who refuses to bow to jobs for the boys.

allowing players to express themselves.

not showing respect to mediocre opposition.

competing, at least competing with any other 11 men from any other team.

showing no fear.

an exciting attacking philosophy.

ambition befitting our club.

not cry to press about the need to spend money when they know we dont have any.

i dont think that is asking too much. even mentioning mourinho and ferguson is deluded and embarassing. no one is asking for anything like that.

... no one is asking for anything like that.

Honestly, in this day and age, you're doing exactly that. Keep reminding you of: Scotland, SPL football, relative anonymity when it comes to international managers looking for players etc. ... and think not only of players wanting to "suffer" this (in this day and age), but also managers. Managers capable of fulfilling your agenda that is ...

Honestly, in this day and age, you're doing exactly that. Keep reminding you of: Scotland, SPL football, relative anonymity when it comes to international managers looking for players etc. ... and think not only of players wanting to "suffer" this (in this day and age), but also managers. Managers capable of fulfilling your agenda that is ...

I would disagree, is it really asking too much that we have a manager who fits the earlier description. We should have coaches/managers who are able to take ok players and make them good, good players and make them great.

Rangers have not done this for a long, long time.

Rangers should also be able to go out and get ok prospects and make them good prospects through training and coaching.

We are only doing it now because we are being forced to. I can't tell you how many times I sighed when we went out and signed players like Beattie, Ostenstad, Bernard or Maniero.

Had I been a young player at Rangers during these times I would be thinking how shit am I? If I can't get a game before these guys and then to make matters worse we would then spend even more money paying these guys off

honestly, i am not. i have put up above what i expect of a football manager. the bare minimum. 90% of the managers in the spl are more tactically ambitious than walter ever was, and with a tiny fraction of the money walter had to play with too. that goes for ally as well. far too cautious and boring and lacking any real ambition or savi(sp) on the field of play.

Edited by kuznetsov

I would disagree, is it really asking too much that we have a manager who fits the earlier description. We should have coaches/managers who are able to take ok players and make them good, good players and make them great.

Rangers should also be able to go out and get ok prospects and make them good prospects through training and coaching.

We are only doing it now because we are being forced to. I can't tell you how many times I sighed when we went out and signed players like Beattie, Ostenstad, Bernard or Maniero.

Had I been a young player at Rangers during these times I would be thinking how shit am I? If I can't get a game before these guys and then to make matters worse we would then spend even more money paying these guys off

completely agree. that links to the utter mismanagement i was speaking of before too.

There can't half be some sugar coating after a few good results.

We're top now and won three league games in a row with a great display vs alloa in the middle so I've toned down my criticism somewhat, but it's still a joke to suggest we can't expect more than the dross served up in our first four away matches.

Worth noting we still only have one away league win, the next two are away so I really want to see us at least winning them both to prove a corner has been turned. The performances are another issue but results really are the bare minimum for where we are.

Edited by simplythebest

The only point remains that if there are so many ... i.e. 90% ... managers in Scotland who are that much better than Walter ever was, how come that they never succeeded where Walter did? (I sense a strange argument coming up like: "Walter was saved by the quality on the park!" Why would that be strange? Because if we talk McCoist, the lack of quality on the park is usually dismissed.) You can only work with the material you get, and that refers to both, the manager and the players. Sure Walter's way of playing is not exactly one that would take Rangers forward, in a football sense. But to deny him the experience to create a successful team within Scotland is ridiculous. In any case, people should relax as we won't see Walter looking over McCoist's shoulder any more than he has done so far this season.

that is obvious. money. for every 1 hundred thousand the average spl manager got to spend, walter got 2 million. for every 500 pound per week player the average manager got in the spl, walter got a 15-20 thousand pound per week player. walters second stint at rangers saw him spend almost £40m, incredibly all the while our debt was becoming critical and still he felt he needed more and regularly spoke of needing to spend money. good manager? not in my book.