Keith Jackson in today's record

Given more time for negotiation and to assess alternative options, you may well be right. But my argument is consistent, we didn't have the time to do those things. We had both hands tied behind our backs until just a couple of days before our first game. We then had a situation where some our heaviest salaried players that remained wanted to go: Broadfoot, Goian, Boca.

Now, if you were to say we could have had plans B, C and D in place to mitigate against this then fair enough, but I'd further content that there wasn't enough time to enact them.

That's all fair points, but I would ask why did we need to be running around paying those kind of wages when we could've been running around finding guys in the lower leagues and paying them a faction of the wages offered to the SPL 4.

That's all fair points, but I would ask why did we need to be running around paying those kind of wages when we could've been running around finding guys in the lower leagues and paying them a faction of the wages offered to the SPL 4.

There were so many variables to contend with. We also had no idea what would happen in terms of league reconstruction, there was plenty of talk about only being in the wilderness for a season or two, so anyone we were able to bring in was supposedly to be of sufficient quality that we could compete until the Jan 2014 transfer window.

The accounts will also be flattered by the inclusion of two sets of season ticket monies in one accounting period which will make things slightly opaque.

The 2nd set should surely be accounted as revenues received in advance and be consigned to the balance sheet though - they shouldnt go through the income statement as they will relate to a future period.

At the time very few were complaining with the signings of Sandaza, Shiels, Black and Templeton (personally I didnt want Black and was vocal at the time).... yet here we are with hindsight complaining that we bought SPL standard players when we should have been buying lower division journeymen. I didnt hear too many looking for that scenario last August......

There were so many variables to contend with. We also had no idea what would happen in terms of league reconstruction, there was plenty of talk about only being in the wilderness for a season or two, so anyone we were able to bring in was supposedly to be of sufficient quality that we could compete until the Jan 2014 transfer window.

I'm not arguing mate, but there was a cheaper way of doing it.

At the time very few were complaining with the signings of Sandaza, Shiels, Black and Templeton (personally I didnt want Black and was vocal at the time).... yet here we are with hindsight complaining that we bought SPL standard players when we should have been buying lower division journeymen. I didnt hear too many looking for that scenario last August......

We would all have looked a bit stupid if we had actually won a cup, which I still think was the main reason behind the SPL4.

But that has failed so questions have to be asked if that was the reason for the so called quick fix.

We would all have looked a bit stupid if we had actually won a cup, which I still think was the main reason behind the SPL4.

But that has failed so questions have to be asked if that was the reason for the so called quick fix.

I was under the impression that the "so called quick fix" of the SPL 4 as there was an inherent belief that we would only be outside of the SPL for a single season as they would shoe-horn us back in next year... and with a transfer embargo in place until Jan 2014 we needed SPL players in case that indeed did happen.

As an aside GA.... what happens if there IS reconstruction and we ARE invited back into the SPL ? With your scenario of journeymen we would be lucky to obtain enough points to keep relegation at bay until the embargo is lifted.

Oh ma heid....please tell me we are not paying Alexander 16k p/w!

Yup.

I like Alexander and think he's been a loyal servant but that's an example of where we could easily save half a million £'s per annum.

Agree.

no one would listen. too many were too busy trying to get one up the spl teams including the manager and ceo thinking they were smart bringing in a couple of sl players. common sense could have told anyone we needed battlers who could play a bit and people to play for the jersey. we didnt need prima donnas and over paid journeymen.

I'm sure we'd all like to think so, but my gut feeling at the moment (call it a hunch) is that the accounts will probably raise more questions than they answer.

I also think it should perhaps be taken into account that ST renewals are going to come along before the accounts do and with an increase in prices that's going to equate to the fans being asked to cough up a LOT of cash before seeing the first season's (sketchy?) financial details.

We renew season tickets out of loyalty (and if we can afford it personally of course). We've never asked for or expected an annual financial report as a condition.