Objectionable fan banner against Ashley

he was gone like road runner either way.

frankly the banners were spot on he was the last thing we needed. he wanted to pay up the purchase over 4 years. he was volunteering for liquidation essentially and we know how that went. he didnt have the cash to keep us afloat.

i may not like green much but he is at least head and shoulders above miller.

Did Green not use a loan to buy the Rangers assets?

It's a one year contract he's selling not turning us into the Emirates or Etihad.

Maybe if they had acted like adults instead of wee weans throwing their toys out the pram they would be taken seriously.

Maybe a banner like, "Better Ways To Raise Cash Think Again Green" we would be talking about better ways instead of debating a F#*k Off banner.

How did they throw their 'toys out the pram'?

By changing the language we might have that debate or we might have looked up, noticed it, nodded and gone back to reading the Sky Sports app. The language used was a big part of the message.

Something to consider....

What would happen to you if you unfurled that Mike Ashley banner in the middle of Argyll street??? There is a good chance you would get lifted by the polis & yer knuckles rapped.

So, why is it suddenly different when you are within a football ground???

It isn't suddenly different, you've always been able to get away with behaviour at a football match you would get lifted for anywhere else. If anything you get away with less at the game these days than you once did.

NB: Not everything in my reply was aimed at you.

The policy would be simple, as it is over here at the Olympic Stadium (be it Hertha's games or German internationals) or e.g. the O2 World (basketball and ice hockey). No banner will enter the place that is offensive or uses inappropriate language untowards the place, the team, the management, the players and the opposition. You have a hundred ways of telling your opinion in strong words that are not inappropriate and usually common sense prevails even with the club and the stewards here. I gave examples above, examples you will find all over the place.

Who owns Hertha Berlin mate?

So is swearing banned in German football stadiums, is that how it works?

no contradiction at all. It's quite simple. Any non-football related banner should be prohibited on the grounds that the display of such a banner is likely to divide the support and thus harm the club.

no football related banner should be prohibited unless, as in this case perhaps, offensive language is used, in which case it's a matter of changing the vocabulary rather than banning the sentiment sentiment.

So something like 'Ashley you're not welcome here' would be okay? That's still going to divide the support though, not every agrees with that sentiment, however politely phrased it is.

The problem last time round was the people with the banner thought it was football related. Who decides?

ban booing? who's talking about banning booing? I'm saying that, imho, no fan should ever boo a Rangers player. Not only is it counterproductive, it's not, again imho, the Rangers Way.

The answer to your question is that a chant or a banner is the result of like-minded people working in unison to express an opinion; a post on a message board is not.

I've not explained myself clearly. You are suggesting that non-football banners should be banned and football banners with 'offensive' language, which I assume means swearing, be banned. So i'm asking what the difference is in swearing on a banner and swearing in a song or chant and having a banner on a non-football subject and singing a song or making a chant on a non-football subject. Should they be treated the same?

It isn't suddenly different, you've always been able to get away with behaviour at a football match you would get lifted for anywhere else. If anything you get away with less at the game these days than you once did.

Why do folk think it is OK to do it at a football ground then????

They know if they were to display the banner anywhere else, they would get into trouble.....but believe it is fine to display it at a match - doesn't make sense to me.

What makes this worse for me is that fact that the banner was displayed at a reserve match, where possibly there would be a larger number of young fans compared to a 1st team match. The club appear to be trying to encourage more young fans to attend, but if banners with offensive language are displayed I would think twice about taking a youngster.

Who owns Hertha Berlin mate?

So is swearing banned in German football stadiums, is that how it works?

A chap called Gegenbauer is president ... which tells you next to nothing (I could suggest Wikipedia). That does not matter a bit. As I said, somesuch is simply a no-go at nigh any sports arena in Germany. And more often than not, common sense prevails even amongst the most notorious ultras.

You can swear inside German stadiums to your hearts content ... but risk being lifted by the police or the stewards if it goes over the top. As has been said above, there is no reason why you should be allowed to show inappropriate behaviour at a football game. You usually get away with more - given the nature of the game - than you normally would, but there are limits. The Scumhut and their morons apart, how often have you seen such banners like that shown on Tuesday in any British stadium?