Objectionable fan banner against Ashley

You might recall a few months ago we had a discussion on here after another banner was displayed, quite possibly by the same group.

It singled out a politician for fairly robust abuse. At the time the majority on here didn't have much problem with it, indeed a fair number were defending those who displayed it and their right to display it. It got quite heated on here, indeed at least one poster left the board shortly after it.

The point I made at the time was that different banners will upset different people. Because a number on here agreed with the basic sentiment of the anti-Salmond banner they happily defended it. Because some disagree with this sentiment it's being criticised. Who is the arbiter of taste here, who decides what can and can't be displayed?

The way I see it we either need to ban them all or none at all.

As for the banner it is very misguided, Ashely, however objectionable he comes across isn't the villain here, he's buying, the subject of their ire should be whoever is selling.

The answer should be relatively straight forward, but unfortunately it isn't. When it comes to banners within the stadium, the arbiter of taste and the one who primarily decides what can and can't be displayed should be the club. The club doesn't want to upset the fans by denying them their freedom of expression though, so the club's unlikely to ban banners which are critical of the club itself, the owners/investors or the manager etc.

To complicate matters further we have the new offensive behavior policing stopping certain banners, scarves and all sorts getting in (or displayed if it slips through), but that policing wouldn't cover banners aimed at the club, owners, management etc.

That essentially only leaves us with the fans having to self-police on the matter of banners and their content, but that's something which is fraught with issues and problems, so ultimately it's unlikely to go further than discussions such as this. Circle complete. ;)

I'm not a fan of Black but that would be unacceptable as well, he's a legitimate club employee.

But it's football related and a legitimate point of view. I've heard Rangers players hounded by supporters, jeered and booed, I've heard managers get the same. It seems to me people have an issue with the medium rather than the message. What's the difference between a chant or a banner, or indeed a post on a messageboard?

Also you said reflects 'poorly' on us, why do you say that, what's 'poor' about it?

But it's football related and a legitimate point of view. I've heard Rangers players hounded by supporters, jeered and booed, I've heard managers get the same. It seems to me people have an issue with the medium rather than the message. What's the difference between a chant or a banner, or indeed a post on a messageboard?

Also you said reflects 'poorly' on us, why do you say that, what's 'poor' about it?

As i've said, I think shouts and songs have a huge heat of the moment element to them.

Same can't be said for banners.

As i've said, I think shouts and songs have a huge heat of the moment element to them.

Same can't be said for banners.

So if it's given a lot of thought, consideration and effort you object to it, but if it's a knee-jerk reaction that's okay? It's a fairly unusual stance I think.

its not how I would do things. as I say everyone should at all times remain dignified.

I understand where you are coming from GS - Dignity and this club go hand in hand.

But the situation is not normal, and for years a dignified silence has worked against us. I think I would rather have CG speaking out, albeit at times saying nothing may be the better course of action, than not have anyone speaking for us at all.