Kyle Hutton on twitter

I always thought that the young players who got signed by senior clubs was because they were talented,they could trap the ball!,they could pass the ball!,they could win the ball!,they could beat a man!,they could score goals!,ie: they were better than the other players they played with/against!,and then they went on to get proper coaching to enhance their natural ability!,and practice practice practice. The basics really are missing when you see some players.

I'm not overly surprised at this.

When I played for Dundee Utd, the first team players would usually roll up about 9.30am for a 10am start then leave after being provided with lunch in the canteen around 12.30pm. The younger players would be in earlier and have to do their chores (usually involving cleaning) in the afternoon.

In pre-season, it was slightly different in all players would often do the hard fitness work in the morning before working with the ball in an afternoon session, Generally though it was up to the individual what they did in the afternoon - many did work out in the gym but most buggered off to the bookies or played snooker in the corporate suites.

Even then the management felt any more than 2 hours a day would cause injury problems and/or players would become jaded so all this was seen (and still is seen) as normal.

The manager at the time? Jim McLean - so hardly someone who'd allow players to take the p!ss.

I agree that pre-season fitness levels may need to be bolstered with extra slog-it-out training but once the season kicks in and players are playing every weekend and possibly through the week then skill training is enough. Try playing 3v1 for any length of time. It creates almost all fitness and skill factors you will need. Also things like passing from the halfway line to a player on the edge of the area who passes to you to shoot at goal. You have ran about 30 yards as you would do in a game and practice your shooting\kicking skills. All fitness training should be made fun to do and not a slog. I don't believe in this running on a treadmill with electrodes attached and an oxygen mask on. To be honest I think it is a lot of crap and we have certainly not improved since we have had a fitness scientist or whatever he is called.

More ball work is definitely needed after what we have seen all season, set pieces is another as we have been terrible for years at both ends, tactics etc is all down to the management sorting this out not the players. OK they should/could stay back to train themselves but how many do and not just at Rangers?

The reaction has been way over the top for someone who has been told he can go home by his club and all he said was he was going to watch a DVD. I would have loved the chance to have the facilities they have available to them but I doubt I would feel like doing extra training everyday.

As Frankie mentioned some used to choose the bookies or pub and probably still do, maybe worse with drugs. He probably didn't think before his comment on twitter and it's certainly not the best time to do it giving our recent results but it's over the top IMO.

The players should be @ MP for 8 hours a day ie. Full time!!!!

How those hours are broken down can vary from day to day. Maybe have one day that is more focused towards fitness, have other days for tactics, ball control etc When the players aren't out on the training pitches, get them into a classroom and have them analyse games - some of their own, and other top teams. The more they watch how it should be done, they more likely they will actually try it on the pitch.

I was watching the Barca/Milan game last night, and realised that our players simply could not last at the pace Barca play for 90mins. The players are constantly chasing the ball when the don't have it, and when they do they are constantly moving into positions to make/receive a pass.

I think Ally should start to increase the time spent @ MP. Telling the players why they are doing it etc (they should already know...). If they perform well on match day, they get home a bit earlier, poor performance, they stay later.

The players should be @ MP for 8 hours a day ie. Full time!!!!

How those hours are broken down can vary from day to day. Maybe have one day that is more focused towards fitness, have other days for tactics, ball control etc When the players aren't out on the training pitches, get them into a classroom and have them analyse games - some of their own, and other top teams. The more they watch how it should be done, they more likely they will actually try it on the pitch.

Yeah spot on. As they play on a Saturday they're day offs can vary whether it be a full day or 2 half days. But being full time should entail full time hours, and as you say it doesnt all have to be physical.

If players are being paid to rest, id have them resting at Murray park half the time. You see players in the past injuring themselves at home tripping over coffee tables.

As is stands with those hours we're the real part timers in Div 3 while the rest are full time plus some as they do day jobs and training. And it has shown in quite a few performances.

Edited by Gribz

Tell me any other professional sportsman who only works on his technique for 1hr a day?

It took hours and hours everyday as they grew up to get to the level they are at, you need to keep that level up or you just fall backwards.

When did 1 hour come in? It was 2.5 hours was it not?

This is something I touched on in another thread. It's fine having all the fitness coaches in the world, but if the players aren't doing what they've been told or aren't doing it with maximum effort, then its pointless. What was surprising when talking about this with the doctors is just how much of the gossip we've been reading is true - many professional players seem to have a real problem with the amount of training they're being asked to do. I was hearing about a specific example recently where an spl team were called-in for double training the morning after a defeat and they turned up, moaned from start to finish and put in a completely half-arsed effort.

Younger players are worse apparently and even now in this day and age of so much information on fitness and nutrition being available, its not until their late 20s that many of these guys realise they should have worked harder and looked after themselves more. Clubs need to do more to educate players and also do what they can to make sure players are actually following the advice and its ridiculous that they accept players coasting through training sessions or not following rehab plans when coming back from injury.

You also have some older players who are intelligent enough to "get it" and comprehend the science side of things but they aren't interested because they know what level they need to attain to just get through games and they've also seen some of the recent generation of players who have been part of a drinking culture around the game although the game is played at a faster pace these days and those guys from 20 years ago had arguably much more natural talent to start with so the drinking had less of an impact on their performance.

The only way we're going to change this (which was always my suspicion but has been confirmed by speaking with these guys) is by having a complete change of management & coaching teams and a whole new approach to how our players train and how they look after themselves at the club, away from the club and when they're fit or injured. Which was of course what a certain Mr Le Guen was apparently trying to do.....