yet another , nail on head article , from the guys at CRO.org

No More Excuses, Ally

by Andy McKellar | Deputy Editor

Rangersâ?? entry into the SFL Third Division was exuberantly heralded as the opening of an exciting and thrilling new chapter in the glorious tale of our Clubâ??s history. In the aftermath of a hateful and turbulent summer the loyal supporters rallied behind our fallen institution in what was to be the beginning of the quest to restore Rangers Football Club to its former glory. It was utterly remarkable, quite bizarre but beautifully heart-warming to witness the strength and passion of our fans. We boldly set sail into uncharted waters filled with joy and optimism. Somewhere down the line however we appear to have run aground.

The procrastination, incompetence and negligence of the football authorities meant that preparations for this campaign were far from ideal. Rangers started the season with just six players, were denied any sort of pre-season and were hamstrung by the uncertainty that surrounded our league status. Eventually though things began to come together. With season-tickets hastily being sold in record numbers, and in record time, we were able to assemble a squad which pleasantly surprised the fans and which was set to begin its ruthless assault on the lower leagues of Scottish football with considerable style.

While Iâ??m sure the vast majority of supporters would rather be challenging for the SPL title and competing against the top talents from the continent in the Champions League, there was a realisation that we had been inadvertently presented with a uniquely glorious opportunity to rebuild, rebrand and revamp the Club in a less demanding, less cut-throat environment. It was a chance to improve our scouting, our youth development and our training methods. It was a chance to bravely move our club forward, to produce a football philosophy and ethos that would lay the foundation for decades ahead. Unfortunately though it is one which we are letting slip through our fingers and Iâ??m not even sure some people at Rangers realise it.

The latest calamitous performance and result came yesterday afternoon against Stirling Albion. Once again the team left the field of play to a chorus of boos, something which has been overly regular this season, and to a display of disillusionment from the supporters in the stands. The Union Bears, normally the most positive influence within the stadium, even felt the need to voice their concerns at the current state of affairs with a banner which read: â??Less time tweeting, more time training," and who can blame them?

The display should not be interpreted as literally as it reads. The supporters arenâ??t really concerned about players taking a few seconds to send a tweet, although the content could sometimes do with more consideration, but more the lack of fitness, hunger and desire which has been evident recently. There is nothing to suggest that we have taken a step forward this season or that we have are making progress and are moving in the right direction. In fact Iâ??d go as far as to suggest that, if anything, we have went backwards.

Letâ??s add some perspective to our current situation. Rangers currently operate with the second-highest wage budget in the country, train at the best facilities and play in front of the largest crowds. We have highly paid, experienced full-time players competing in a part-time league. There can be no excuses for some of our performances and results this season. There can be no justification for our lack of fitness or even basic organisation. We have woefully underperformed. Itâ??s about time some people accepted that and stopped hiding behind the â??but weâ??re going to win the titleâ? argument.

The manager has quite rightly come in for considerable criticism for a number of reasons. Weâ??ve had to endure the constant deployment of a formation which quite simply isnâ??t working. Weâ??ve watched as our best striker is shunted onto the wings and weâ??ve had the misfortune of continually witnessing perennial underperformers retain their place in the team for no apparent reason. Unfortunately however such criticism seems to be met with deflection, denial and complete disinterest.

Following the humiliating defeat at the hands of Annan Athletic a couple of weeks ago we were reminded of our lack of pre-season (this is March by the way) and told that we had a young, inexperienced team (we didnâ??t). This week Ally McCoist has told us that everything we do at training is excellent, that the players work â??exceptionally hardâ? and that everything will be fine because we will eventually â??get over the line.â? The excuses are becoming as tiresome and depressing as the performances and they show a complete lack of respect for the same fans who pay their disproportionately high salaries.

It saddens me that our standards have fallen so dramatically that our management and some supporters are willing to accept the constant dross that weâ??ve witnessed this season as long as we win the league. Some people need to open their eyes and look at the damage that is being done as a result.

At the start of the season the stadium was bouncing, the fans were happy and the matches were played in a cacophony of noise created by the supporters. Compare and contrast that with our last couple of games. The number of blue seats is visibly growing with each passing match, as is the displeasure and boredom of those in attendance. Yesterday the vast majority of the crowd, our lowest at a league match this season, simply could not be bothered. They were there in body but their minds wanted to be anywhere else. And with season ticket renewals due to be issued in the not too distant future, that has to be a major concern for Charles Green and the rest of the Rangers boardroom.

It is abundantly clear that something has to change at Rangers Football Club. The fans are losing interest and the team is going nowhere. The supporters are without doubt the most vital component in the rebuilding project that is currently underway and it would be foolish and negligent to ignore our concerns. Many have already decided to vote with their feet and that trend is something which canâ??t be allowed to continue.

As much as it saddens me to say it, Iâ??ve yet to see anything which suggests to me that Alistair Murdoch McCoist MBE is the right man to take our club forward. He may be a club legend, he may have been one of our greatest ever strikers but, for me, he isnâ??t a football manager.

Judging by previous comments from Charles Green however it would appear that Super Ally will at least get next season to prove me and his growing number of doubters wrong. And do you know what â?? I hope he rams my words right down my throat and makes me look foolish for ever questioning his ability. Iâ??d love nothing more than having to say sorry for getting it completely and utterly wrong.

But please, Ally, stop hiding behind pathetic excuses and insulting the intelligence of the supporters who are paying to watch the rubbish put in front of them. It's not doing you any favours.

Great post but we do need to bring in new players, especially in MF & CB. What CG will need to decide is whether Ally is the man to do that. Unfortunately it's a no from me

Edited by RANGERRAB

It is really becoming harder to go to Ibrox and suffer the dross that we are witnessing. Now I'm not talking about the young players,more so the high earning experienced players,but when you keep hearing the manager harping on it does make you wonder if he is up for the job of taking us forward. Ally is,and always will be a club legend,not just for his playing career at Rangers but what he has done through all this mess,and make no mistake of what he did to hold everything together where I believe we could not have had anyone better to deal with that. However,where I and most Rangers fans find it hard to accept is when he comes out with the same drivel as if we,fans, don't understand what has went on?. A bit of realism is required here,we,fans,know what we see and understand perfectly what the club has gone through and have reacted perfectly by standing by our team/club,but we also see and know when we are being short changed. We need the players to stand up and be counted,like we the fans have done,and get their fingers oot their arses and start earning their salaries.

Agreed again.

If we had had a slow start in August with 1 or 2 poor results then get stronger and better as the season went on then Id be ok with it as you can understand having no pre-season and a new squad put together at the last hour. But now these players have had 7 months to work on things and its going backwards which says what is going on at Murray Park isnt working.

One poster on FF wrote this, not exactly in reply to the above article, but it does not matter as the topic is still essentially the same

Originally Posted by Red_White_and_Ajax

I don`t debate it because I choose not to , I care very little for others opinions on it . Like it or lump it , thats the way I am

I sat at Ibrox on the 5th of May last year and wept at the final whistle , actually cried because I thought it was the last time I would ever watch my club play football . There are many on here who , although they won`t admit it , did and thought the exact same thing

I thought a huge part of my life had died

I sat at Ibrox on the 7th of August last year and bawled my eyes out when Rangers took the field for the East Fife game , once again I know that many on here would have done the same but can`t/won`t admit it

We are alive and for that I`m eternally grateful although others say we can`t use that as a reason any more , perhaps they are right but I don`t care

Doesn`t mean I`m willing to accept what we are doing on the park

Doesn`t mean that Ally and the players aren`t above reasonable and constructive criticism

Doesn`t mean I believe that Ally is the man to take us forward next year

However , as I`ve stated before , he should be allowed to clinch this title . Its his and he has earned it even if FF says differently

Thing is,most managers come across as being a bit aloof when it comes to fans opinions,but really football is not rocket science,I actually think a lot of fans harp on about tactics where as I think football is a simple game,mad difficult by some. Players shoulder more responsibility,IMO,when it comes to performances rather than the manager.