Falkirk Statement On Reconstruction

http://www.falkirkfc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6393&Itemid=320

Falkirk FC Chairman Martin Ritchie has issued this statement regarding the Clubâ??s position following last weekâ??s turn of events in the long running league reconstruction saga:

â??David White and I represented the club at the SFL meeting last Thursday at Hampden. After the 28 to 1 indicative vote in favour of the proposals on 31st January, we went into this meeting confident that the SFL would provide the 75% majority required. David Longmuir, chief executive of the SFL, presented a very negative view of the â??SPL proposalsâ?, clearly distancing himself from ownership of the proposals. As a result, the SFL clubs were split down the middle with a 14 to 14 indicative vote. Those who were against the proposals did favour continuing the process with a view to implementing the changes in a yearâ??s time.â?

â??At the meeting Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPL, addressed all of the listed outstanding issues and it was apparent that all parties were very close to a final agreement and that there were no â??show-stoppersâ?. He also reaffirmed that there is a desire for change now within the SPL and that if this moment is lost there may not be another opportunity. From my experience with the SPL, I believe this is the one chance for change.â?

â??Following the meeting, I was one of a number of the First Division chairmen, who arranged an ad hoc meeting of the nine First Division clubs present and later, a meeting with these clubs and Neil Doncaster. We were agreed that the state of the full time clubs in the First Division is deteriorating and that we need change now. We also agreed that there was little chance that the SPL and the SFL clubs would vote for change in a yearâ??s time if they rejected this opportunity. All clubs appear to believe that a 42 club solution with a single league governing body is the way forward. However, the SFL indicative vote may have put that in jeopardy.â?

â??Since the meeting, I have been in contact with Campbell Ogilvy and Stewart Regan of the SFA and have asked if they could take a role in getting the proposed changes over the line. The hard work in drafting the Articles and Rules of the new league organisation is pretty much complete. What we now need is to build trust in the proposed new league organisation, build bridges between the SFL and the SPL management and gain acceptance from the 42 clubs. If this cannot be achieved, the Board owes it to our club and to our supporters that we pursue any other viable options.â?

â??I would like to remind our supporters why we are so strongly supportive of these changes, despite the reservations some have expressed over the proposed league structure. The proposals offer :

* More promotion and relegation with the prospect of play-offs and more movement between divisions.

* A fairer distribution of wealth with the main beneficiaries being the First Division clubs. The all-through distribution model guarantees SFL clubs a far bigger share of the revenues than at present, whether the overall income to the league goes up or down. On our current league position we would be around £200,000 better off.

* A single body will make it easier to facilitate any future changes to our league structures. It will reduce internal conflict, and financially it should reduce overheads and increase revenue potential.

* It will create opportunities for all clubs to compete in the highest division without massive capital expenditure through the relaxation of the stadia requirements and provide opportunities for non-league sides through the introduction of a pyramid system.

â??These changes are on the table today. They have been presented as a package so we donâ??t have the option to cherry pick just the parts we like. The board is unanimous in its support for these changes.â?

â??I have been involved in league reconstruction discussions since the day we escaped relegation at Inverness in 2009 and this is the closest we have ever come to actually achieving change. Falkirk FC cannot stand back and allow this opportunity to slip through our fingers.â?

Edited by ian1964

Don't blame the SFL for the horror show that is the Scottish game. The SPL blew the bubble last year and sent Scottish football into oblivion. Now they reap their rewards accordingly and the likes of Dunfermline and Falkirk start to suffer. There is no doubt that the set-up needs to be revamped and put under one hierarchical structure. But there are rules to obey and quite a few clubs could rightfully sue the SFL et al for not abiding with the rules. Will this harm the Scottish game? Might well be. But don't look for those who might sue, but those who were responsible in the first place.

What I continue to find strange is the "If this moment is lost there may not be another opportunity..... this is the one chance for change" quotes.

Now everyone is coming out with this pap.

I ask myself why - at this moment in Scottish football's history is this such an opportunistic moment to create something of lasting benefit to the game?

What's the reason for this window of opportunity? Because I'm buggered if I can see one good reason for pushing through ANY changes for next season.

I'm not saying that discussions shouldn't continue with a view to change but there is no reason now for pushing something through in haste.

So. Why the hurry? And where's the truth?

What I continue to find strange is the "If this moment is lost there may not be another opportunity..... this is the one chance for change" quotes.

Now everyone is coming out with this pap.

I ask myself why - at this moment in Scottish football's history is this such an opportunistic moment to create something of lasting benefit to the game?

What's the reason for this window of opportunity? Because I'm buggered if I can see one good reason for pushing through ANY changes for next season.

I'm not saying that discussions shouldn't continue with a view to change but there is no reason now for pushing something through in haste.

So. Why the hurry? And where's the truth?

Exactly. Answers please, Mr Doncaster.

Massive free for all where only bribes, inducements, threats and promises will decide any new formation.

Only some independent body, or Lord Nimmo perhaps, would be able to come up with a plan which would be fair for all Clubs.

It seems blatantly obvious that this reconstruction is somehow linked to the SKY contract Liewell & Dumbcaster were involved in last summer. This contract which they seem reluctant to show Longmuir & others who are also keen to see it as they may well believe there are all sorts of clauses & sub-clauses in it which are linked to Rangers.

The Falkirk chairman & his chums would be better off concentrating their efforts questioning Dumbcaster on where their extra money is coming from and whether it is linked to the SKY contract only Liewell & Dumbcaster seem to have seen