Frightening quotes from Ally

I don't want to sound like I am criticising the people we want to bring in, but they are free transfers for a reason

Jeez Ally, practically telling the players who will come in they are not good enough for their current club?!!

Jeez Ally, practically telling the players who will come in they are not good enough for their current club?!!

There are exceptions. We've had our fair share of players over the past few years where negotiations over contract renewals have gone down to the wire.

That said, he's not wrong in the sense that any player who's available on a free would normally have been sold by their club before they were able to speak to other clubs if they were good enough to have attracted an offer in the first place.

Maybe that's the point. Maybe he is saying don't expect to come here and be treated like a God. Reality at Ibrox is a hell of a lot different now.

There are exceptions. We've had our fair share of players over the past few years where negotiations over contract renewals have gone down to the wire.

That said, he's not wrong in the sense that any player who's available on a free would normally have been sold by their club before they were able to speak to other clubs if they were good enough to have attracted an offer in the first place.

... or that the current club simply hasn't got the money ready to offer them new deals? They have how many SPL players on a free this summer? And quite a few are of decent enough quality (e.g. Shinnie) at that.

I assume there are various reasons why people become freebies and quality is just one amongst them.

I don't think he's telling the players, I think he's telling the support. Whatever anyone thinks of McCoist's managerial ability he's not daft, he understands the support's expectations and I think he's trying to temper them. Cammy Bell hasn't joined Rangers because he isn't good enough for Kilmarnock or the SPL, likewise this lad Clark, he's not leaving because nobody wants him.

... or that the current club simply hasn't got the money ready to offer them new deals? They have how many SPL players on a free this summer? And quite a few are of decent enough quality (e.g. Shinnie) at that.

I assume there are various reasons why people become freebies and quality is just one amongst them.

Shinnie has already signed a pre-contract elsewhere (Birmingham I believe)

That sums up Allys attitude, he would spend 50million in SFL2 if anybody was rich enough and stupid enough to give it him, ffs Ally have you learnt nothing from the last few years?! Im sorry but that is a mindboggling comment, and to keep him and Durrant and Kenny in their jobs? You dont keep your jobs by bankrupting the club Ally, you keep them by playing decent football and keeping a tight control on the pursestrings hes like the Anti-Wenger, Arsen spends little (in EPL terms) and plays good football Ally wants to spend loads and plays shite football.

Young Scottish players are on buttons at lower league clubs. Some junior teams probably pay more wages than even teams in the first division so we could easily pick up these young guys with potential with decent wages on offer. If I was the young and playing at QOS or whoever else it wouldn't be the money that would be attracting me to sign for Rangers. It would be the opportunity to join the most successful club in the world. The biggest and best supported club in the country and help them on their march back to the top while making a name for myself.

Rangers should be the most attractive club in Scotland for youngsters at the moment.

Let's get this in perspective, Premiership players go for about £20M these days, so £10M is about equivalent to about £3M max in the Advocaat era. Can you imagine people slagging Dick off for wanting to spend £3M on half an entire squad? Ally even said it with plenty of self awareness and keeping his feet on the ground.

Ally has to guarantee winning the league and now not only that, he needs to do it in style. What he's basically saying is that in that scenario what manager wouldn't want to spend half the cost of an average Premiership player if it was given to him? I'm sure he'd get 10 players for that - peanuts!

However, he was speaking hypothetically as he's an intelligent guy who knows the score.