Snatched from FF, source to come:

RICHARD FOSTER will seal a shock Rangers return — while ex-Scotland No1 Craig Gordon has started training at Murray Park.

Defender Fozzy is poised to rejoin Gers this week after his contract talks yesterday. And boss Ally McCoist hopes to have a deal completed with the utility man in the next 48 hours. Foster played 25 games for Rangers on loan from Aberdeen during the 2010-11 campaign. The 27-year-old earned an SPL title medal and also starred in Europe — but failed to win a permanent deal. He returned to Pittodrie before joining Bristol City — but is currently negotiating his release.

SunSport can also reveal former £9million goalkeeper Gordon has been working out at Gers’ training ground. But the ex-Hearts and Sunderland star is NOT currently scheduled to have any contract talks. However, Ibrox sources refuse to rule out a sensational deal being done AFTER September 1. Gordon has been doing his coaching badges this summer as he plans for the future. The 30-year-old has been plagued by injury and not played football for 14 months. He was released by Sunderland at the end of the season with the next stage of his career uncertain.

McCoist has already signed keeper Cammy Bell from Kilmarnock.

But veteran Neil Alexander could be on his way out of the club having failed to agree a new deal. Gordon has a close relationship with Gers goalie coach Jim Stewart from their time with the national team. And McCoist could be tempted into offering the shot-stopper a contract if he does well in training. Signing a centre-half is still the top priority for the boss. Hearts’ ex-Light Blues stopper Andy Webster was seen at Murray Park yesterday but is NOT set for a return. Ex-Tynecastle skipper Marius Zaliukas tops McCoist’s list but he fears the Lithuanian wants a move to England. Coisty — who has already signed outfield players Nicky Law, Arnold Peralta, Jon Daly and Stevie Smith — claimed: “I am delighted with the players we have brought in.

“We need to perhaps add to some key areas as well.

“There are certain areas we’re looking to strengthen — centre of defence would be ideal.

“But we are in reasonable shape.

“I am delighted with the bodies that we have been bringing in.”

Squad update (June 25th):

Bell (26)

Gallagher (23)

Smith (20)

Mitchell (21) - Hegarty (20) - Cribari (33) - Wallace (25)

Foster (27) - Bocanegra - Goian - Smith (27)

Argyriou (25) - Perry (23) - Faure (22) - . . .

Cole (21) - Gasparotto (18) - McAusland (20) - . . .

Little (24) - Law (25) - Black (28) - Templeton (24)

. . . - Macleod (18) - Hutton (22) - McKay (18)

. . . - Crawford (20) - Shiels (28) - Aird (18)

. . . - Peralta (23) - . . . - . . .

McCulloch (35) - Clark (22)

Daly (30) - Naismith (21)

I wouldn't mind selling or loaning the bolded chaps. Would still leave us with 25 players, plus any newbies and youngsters.

In training: Craig Gordon (free, GK)

Edited by der Berliner
Foster & Alexander changed

Foster was a liability and another footballer who cannot pass the ball 5 yards or more. We have enough of them. More dross to an already huge squad. I have a fantastic attitude, can i get a game?

You just have to look at your first three sentences to see you have the exact opposite attitude to what is required in the dressing room. That you don't get the irony is worrying...

So the Webster and Gordon things have both been explained and it looks like neither will be signing. ...and relax.

I guess if Alexander, Goian and Boca are all for the off, that would free up a lot of money in the wage budget for guys on sensible money with contracts allowing for increases/incentives as we go up the leagues.

Rumour is Websters young son was training with Rangers youths - so that's why he was at MP - though I would have thought kids would have been at school today.

Sounds a lot more plausible than dropping off some smelly old boots - unless it was his son's boots that he forgot...

Guest Dummiesoot
Sounds a lot more plausible than dropping off some smelly old boots - unless it was his son's boots that he forgot...

I thought it was the reason for websters latest injury as he fainted entering Auvhenhowie.

I can hardly remember Foster as he didn't make much of an impression apart from one European game where he was MOTM.

But I vaguely remember him be reasonably solid and reliable despite being unspectacular, and probably more than good enough for the level we will be competing with and on a reasonable wage also for our position.

We seem to be building what would have been a reserve team of old with some who would have been third choices and a smattering of up and coming youngsters.

If the players play as well as they have in past I think we'd have a top half SPL team with a fair chance of second place. Apart from emulating the cup final performance thing that other teams do to us, we'll struggle against Celtic but I'm hopeful for a good run in the cups, winning at least the Ramsdens and at least a semi or final in one of the big ones.

I'm expecting quite a few players to be on two year contracts so we only need to retain those that really perform when we should hopefully get back in the top league. We'll then need another share issue to provide a war-chest for a much enhanced squad to take the league to its rightful home, away from the smarmy cheats.

In a duopoly there's no time or space to build a team in the lower divisions and allow them time to develop in the top league while handing championship after championship to the scum opposition, until they mature.