Ally's signing strategy

Am I alone in feeling a sense of alarm at Ally brining in the Stephen Smith and possibly, Ricky Foster. Both are no more than average players and it is disappointing if our manager feels that he has no younger guys on the books who are likely to be at least approaching their level. A key quality in management is to motivate and I am not convinced that turning to Smith and Foster will do much for the confidence of some of the blokes who were hoping to progress.

like so many other fans , I fear after everything we have went through , it will be for nought , for quite simply there is no vision no leadership nor any thought other than the old tried and trusted , for christs sake its the 2nd division we are going into.

The management have targeted runs in the cups as a means of success and also of income but surely we could have been more imaginative than what is happening right now

It is a wee bit alarming. It seems like we could be assembling a very large wage bill to win the 2nd division and in the mean time have learned diddly squat after all the sheite we have been through. Surely if Ally was half a manager he would be able to inspire and develope the kids that are already there

I'm sure someone could come up with a "hilarious" flow/process chart to show how our scouting and signing policy works. Has the player played for us before, yes/no... Does the player have agent X, yes/no.... Does the player have a dodgy knee, yes/no....

If its just his signing strategy we're talking about then I think its fairly straightforward. He's looking for experienced players, who he's worked with in some capacity, who will be able to cope with Div 2 or higher and who will fit in to our current wage structure. Its not rocket science and its exactly in keeping with what I thought he'd do.

Just like youth systems, you can't overhaul and expect results from a new scouting infrastructure overnight. So even if we had invested in this, it was never going to produce quick results.

If Ally's only goal from the board is to get promotion next season (as I suspect it was this season past) then you can see why he's taking this approach.

I guess the flip side to this is, if these guys are here to sign, then we could end up in a couple of years time with an experienced squad of players, with cover in all positions who will have played together for a couple of years by the time we hit the top division again. Then you can maybe add in a couple of more flair players and in theory are in a fairly strong position for day one against other SPL sides.

The fact is, whatever idea of Barcelona-inspired attacking football we thought we might embrace, its not happened and its not likely to happen, presumably for a number of reasons and those are all for another (very long) thread.

His signing strategy is obviously to sign as many players as he can! :basher: We need bodies out more than we need them in right now.

We've got 36andcounting....

GK Neil Alexander

GK Cammy Bell

GK Scott Gallacher

GK Alan Smith

GK Liam Kelly

RB Darren Cole

RB Anestis Argyriou

CB Dorin Goian

CB Carlos Bocanegra

CB Emílson Cribari

CB Luca Gasparotto

CB Ross Perry

CB Kyle McAusland

CB Chris Hegarty

CB Sébastien Faure

LB Lee Wallace

LB Steven Smith

CM Arnold Peralta

CM Lewis Macleod

CM Robbie Crawford

CM Kyle Hutton

CM Andy Murdoch

CM Ian Black

MF Dean Shiels

MF Andrew Mitchell

MF Danny Stoney

MF David Templeton

MF Fraser Aird

MF Tom Walsh

MF Nicky Law

FW Barrie McKay

FW Kal Naismith

FW Lee McCulloch

FW Andrew Little

FW Jon Daly

FW Nicky Clark

I share the concerns however attracting quality players to Div 2 is mission impossible so the next best option is experienced SPL level players who can get us up the leagues. Im ok with that so long as they arent on big and long contracts so when we are a top flight club again we can improve.

And Im also OK with it if Ally improves the players we have. We'll wait and see on that one.

We've got 36andcounting....

GK Neil Alexander

GK Cammy Bell

GK Scott Gallacher

GK Alan Smith

GK Liam Kelly

RB Darren Cole

RB Anestis Argyriou

CB Dorin Goian

CB Carlos Bocanegra

CB Emílson Cribari

CB Luca Gasparotto

CB Ross Perry

CB Kyle McAusland

CB Chris Hegarty

CB Sébastien Faure

LB Lee Wallace

LB Steven Smith

CM Arnold Peralta

CM Lewis Macleod

CM Robbie Crawford

CM Kyle Hutton

CM Andy Murdoch

CM Ian Black

MF Dean Shiels

MF Andrew Mitchell

MF Danny Stoney

MF David Templeton

MF Fraser Aird

MF Tom Walsh

MF Nicky Law

FW Barrie McKay

FW Kal Naismith

FW Lee McCulloch

FW Andrew Little

FW Jon Daly

FW Nicky Clark

20 of which have come through the youth setup. So there's at least something to be positive about ;)

McCoist should be hunted before he does any further damage, Ibrox has become an eventide home and a place for those down on their uppers, £700k and no viable signing policy or strategy , we will be hearing the usual excuses of he's a novice manager he saved Ibrox when all was lost, strangely there are those who swallow such claptrap.

Great players don't always make managers even half decent managers, the list of failures is a long one.