Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 0 Rangers

I have to say that after last season I was a bit nervous about any pre-season tour we might take on. I feared we would face a drubbing or two outside of Scotland. I'm not overly concerned about the lack of goals just yet as confidence comes from front to back I think i.e. if your back line don't leak easy goals the rest takes care of itself more often than not. It's just about the right partnership and also frontmen like wee Clark getting a couple of goals to get the confidence going.

On the potential downside is that if we dont keep Mohsni then we are pretty much back to square one in my eyes as he has been the main stay throughout the pre-season games (I know he didn't feature tonight until later, but we lost the goal tonight when he wasn't on).

Overall I'm in a better place (hope wise) than I was a couple of months ago.

good to hear the appreciation of the Rangers support tonight and also thanks to Zappa for the updates, couldn't find them on the RFC site so only connection to the game tonight.

All text commentary updates were copied from the official Rangers twitter feed Mike, so you can get them there in the future if you want them instantly as they appear. Just go here - https://twitter.com/RFC_Official

Not sure what to make of this. Quite annoyed we are now at the competitive matches and have done nothing to improve the defence. Our first proper test of pre season and we are found out. Still shoe horning McCulloch into the backline is a joke to be honest.

Not sure what to make of this. Quite annoyed we are now at the competitive matches and have done nothing to improve the defence. Our first proper test of pre season and we are found out. Still shoe horning McCulloch into the backline is a joke to be honest.

hopefully we'll find out in the next day or two what the situation is with Pandza & Moshni. I share your concern that something hasn't been done about the defence. I'd have thought that would have been no1 priority

If you mean signings then yes I agree.

Tactically I would slightly disagree. I think quite often a defence can be continually exposed because a team plays in a lazy manner i.e not defending from the front, or not being fit enough or willing enough to work as a unit (like last year) and to allow a higher back line. The arguement against that tactic is the ball over the top to expose a slow back line. The arguement for it is that if you are fit enough to close the playmakers down who will pick out accurate passes over the top then you mitigate the risk. That is why any decent manager will tell his back line "if anyone in the middle of the park is getting too much time on the ball dont try to play the offside trap as he will pick his pass".

This time around Ally seems to believe his team is fit enough to defend from the front with a high line and I dont think it's in any small part to the new fitness coach Jim Henry.

Edited by Anchorman

Found out? We lost one goal tonight away from home against an English Championship side. We've also recruited two fullbacks and a goalkeeper who are more than adequate for the third tier of Scottish football. At least one centre half will follow, but until then, it's hardly a surprise to see Jig getting game time in that position.

Found out? We lost one goal tonight away from home against an English Championship side. We've also recruited two fullbacks and a goalkeeper who are more than adequate for the third tier of Scottish football. At least one centre half will follow, but until then, it's hardly a surprise to see Jig getting game time in that position.

I'd much prefer if at least one CB was already here..............

It's early days yet but I'd like to see us scoring more goals. Six goals in six pre-season games ain't a lot considering the standard of most of the opposition