Rangers' future has been complicated by conflict but peace can still break out

From Richard Wilson

Rangers fans have been caught up in the fog of war.

Propaganda and politicking have been rife since Charles Green's spell in charge of the club descended into acrimony. As the rift has grown between the directors and the supporters, so too has the level of manipulation of information. Some fans are attuned to the nuances, but others are lost to what must feel like the chaos of a conflict.

When news was leaked of Craig Mather's trip to South Africa to meet Dave King, the former Ibrox director, it was greeted, rarely, with almost unanimous acclaim by the support. The outcome was the possibility of King returning as chairman of Rangers International Football Club. There were difficulties to overcome, not least that the natural flow of stories prompted a breach of the Alternative Investment Market's rules on the publication of sensitive information, but there has also been confusion.

Most of it is spin. A source close to Ibrox has briefed that King would have difficulties with the Scottish Football Association's fit and proper person criteria, and that AIM would block his appointment because of the 41 breaches of the Income Tax act in South Africa that King was fined for earlier in the year. Yet King and his lawyers have investigated the situation with regards to the SFA and are more than comfortable he will face no problems should the governing body receive a proposition for him to join the RIFC board.

AIM, too, do not block director appointments, although a company's nominated advisor (Nomad) - which manages the stock exchange listing - will take soundings before approving directorships. King has completed all of the relevant paperwork and there is no impediment to his return.

Despite now having the proxies for the shareholders who were part of the consortium Green led to buy the club last summer, and the subsequent fall from grace of Green and his colleague Imran Ahmad in the eyes of the support, the Easdale brothers, Sandy and James, cannot be pigeonholed. They are Rangers fans, said to want to remain involved with the club, and naturally they want to protect their shareholding.

Sandy Easdale released a statement on Saturday, during Rangers' 4-3 victory over Brechin City, in which he said that he did not want to get involved in "tit for tat" exchanges. It was released by Jack Irvine, of Mediahouse, who represents the Easdales and also what is left of the board. Yet the source close to Ibrox has been briefing about the brothers, about King, about the entire situation.

The club needs additional financing in the coming years - King is willing to underwrite a fresh share issue, which would dilute the holdings of current investors unless they put more money in themselves - and a board that includes directors who are experienced in corporate governance. A solution needs to be found, and the Easdale brothers have reached out to the camp of Paul Murray, one of four businessmen who will be nominated as new directors at the forthcoming annual general meeting.

The shareholders behind Murray represent around 28% of total, yet the source close to Ibrox claims that the Easdales own, have the proxy for, or the support of, up to 50%. If that was the case, Sandy and James Easdale could simply appoint directors and executive management staff of their own choosing, in the knowledge their block vote would defeat any challenges at the agm. Instead, the votes that both sides can count on are relatively similar, and neither group can be sure of prevailing. So the brothers have an opportunity to show the leadership that the situation requires.

Some fans, generally those active online, are aware of the way that information has to be sifted to gain sight of the reality. Others must be bemused by the claims and counter claims. One consequence has been growing activism, something that has not always come naturally to the Rangers support. Last Thursday, days after the departures of Craig Mather and Bryan Smart from the board, an advertising truck drove round Ibrox bearing the message in large letters: "two down, three more to go", alongside pictures of Stockbridge and the Easdales.

It was arranged by the Sons of Struth, a group independent of all the other fan organisations that is campaigning for boardroom change. The posturing now needs to end. If the Nomad cannot broker an agreement among the shareholders over who to appoint to the board, then AIM will step in reluctantly, and could suspend the shares.

Yet there is room for consensus, and hearts and minds can still be won over. It is time for all the individuals involved, on all sides, to make decisions that are in the best interests of Rangers. That, after all, is what custodians must do to ensure the long-term future of the club.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/opinion/rangers-future-has-been-complicated-by-conflict-but-peace-can-still-break-out.22479981?

It remains to be seen what the Easdales are actually up to. As for King, if he takes a Vladimir Romanov role at the club, he does not need AIM or SFA approval ... even though I doubt that he looks after somesuch. It would be good to know what he is up to too ... he's been a rather shadowy figure for months now.

With all the leaks and phony propaganda war I can see why King is playing his cards close to his chest, in fact I think it makes him look like the better man in many people's eyes. Silence may not always be dignified, but sometimes it does comes across that way.

However, comes a time after silence for clean, decisive action - playing your ace in the hole when the cards are laid on the table, and it seems that time should be at the AGM.

With all the leaks and phony propaganda war I can see why King is playing his cards close to his chest, in fact I think it makes him look like the better man in many people's eyes. Silence may not always be dignified, but sometimes it does comes across that way.

However, comes a time after silence for clean, decisive action - playing your ace in the hole when the cards are laid on the table, and it seems that time should be at the AGM.

Does it also make the Easdales look like the better men?

Does it also make the Easdales look like the better men?

The Easdales, as directors, have been party to all the statements issued by the club over the past weeks and therefore they are tarred with the criticism that has been made of the statements.

King is a convicted criminal for tax offences and I do not want him anywhere near our club whether he passes the SFA's "Fit and Proper" test or not and in any event I don't see how he can.

The rules regarding the “fit and proper” person test are contained in the SFA Articles of Association. They state at Article 10.2 :-

…The Board must be satisfied that any such person is fit and proper to hold such position within Association football. The Board hereby reserves its discretion as to whether or not such a person is fit and proper, as aforesaid, after due consideration of all relevant facts which the Board has in its possession and knowledge, including the undernoted list which is acknowledged to be illustrative and not exhaustive:-

(h) he has been convicted within the last 10 years of (i) an offence liable to imprisonment of two years or more,

Our sentence agreement with Dave King - NPA

Bulelwa Makeke

29 August 2013

Authority says businessman entered a plea of guilty on 41 counts of contravening Section 75 of the Income Tax Act

The State versus David Cunningham King (Case No: CC 257/2005)

In terms of the agreement, the accused was sentenced to a fine of R80 000.00 or 24 months' imprisonment on each of the 41 counts, being the maximum sentence provided for in the Income Tax Act read with the Adjustment of Fines Act 101 of 1991. The effective sentence, as confirmed in the agreement, is a fine of R3 280 000.00 or 984 months (82 years) imprisonment.

Neither do I want ANY other convicted criminal such as Sandy Easdale anywhere near our club. It's an embarrassment.

What peace at any price? no thanks. We have taken a stand against the current board, it has then become supporter against supporter in various forums. I don't think there will be any "peace in our time" until the present incumbents are gone and someone with the financial clout and personality that can clear out the dead and rotten wood and then bring together the various factions in the support.

What peace at any price? no thanks. We have taken a stand against the current board, it has then become supporter against supporter in various forums. I don't think there will be any "peace in our time" until the present incumbents are gone and someone with the financial clout and personality that can clear out the dead and rotten wood and then bring together the various factions in the support.

Moreover we need someone of the utmost integrity and a convicted criminal does not come into that category in my book.

Moreover we need someone of the utmost integrity and a convicted criminal does not come into that category in my book.

Unfortunately our club does not have a plethora of business men lining up to take control, two men are in the running King and McColl. King has said he will invest McColl as far as i know said he wont but will put in place people with the business acumen to run Rangers in a safe and proper business model. I'll take either of those two business ideas, we cant afford to be choosy ATM.