We had better players than all the teams who have beat us since Ally took over, football is simple but not that simple. It's as much a joke to say we would make the top 6 as it is to suggest we wouldn't. In fact it is just downright arrogant and ignorant and one hell of an assumption.

I'm not sure if its wasted years but I certainly thought that we would have a proper scouting system in place by the time we return to the top flight. For me the chief scout has to be the second most important person in the club apart from the manager. I would rather we spend big and get our scouting system across Planet Football done properly than pissing away thousands per week on average players who will be replaced when we get back up the divisions.

Scouting for what level ? Players to go straight into the first team squad or youth product ?

I don't think your point is to knock PLG but I wouldn't be holding him up as an example of anything other than piss poor management (remember man management is an enormous part of the role and his was honking).

No I suppose not. The point was to say that the only philosophy that means anything is to win games. Our support doesn't have the patience to allow the youth system to be put in place and then rely on it to feed us superstars or even top quality football players. I kinda lose patience with the group that says we missed an opportunity here. Where was the opportunity? Any money we had from the IPO, which possibly could have gone to youth programs, was re-directed to pay off the spivs and the rest was used to get us enough players to win us the next two divisions. The next injection will need to buy us players for Europe, so please, where is the missed opportunity? Only winning is good enough.

No I suppose not. The point was to say that the only philosophy that means anything is to win games. Our support doesn't have the patience to allow the youth system to be put in place and then rely on it to feed us superstars or even top quality football players. I kinda lose patience with the group that says we missed an opportunity here. Where was the opportunity? Any money we had from the IPO, which possibly could have gone to youth programs, was re-directed to pay off the spivs and the rest was used to get us enough players to win us the next two divisions. The next injection will need to buy us players for Europe, so please, where is the missed opportunity? Only winning is good enough.

I keep asking but no one has answered yet - what is our football philosophy at the moment i.e. what formation to Rangers prefer to play at the current time? I honestly don't know. I'm talking as basic as that. Leaving aside youth development, big money signings, the Barcelona\Dortmund\Ajax way. Stick to what is happening right here and now with the management team and the players available. Can someone please tell me what our preferred strategy\formation is - 'cos I don't honestly know?

Edited by Anchorman

I keep asking but no one has answered yet - what is our football philosophy at the moment i.e. what formation to Rangers prefer to play at the current time? I honestly don't know. I'm talking as basic as that. Leaving aside youth development, big money signings, the Barcelona\Dortmund\Ajax way. Stick to what is happening right here and now with the management team and the players available. Can someone please tell me what our preferred strategy\formation is - 'cos I don't honestly know?

The players set up in a 4-4-2 at kick off with two centre midfielders on the flanks, no attacking central midfielder and a striker at centre back. The dynamics of the team are all wrong.

We have also tried 4-2-3-1 which doesn't work either as there is absolutely no need for 2 holding midfielders and the 3 attacking ones don't have a clue what is required or asked of them. The lone striker also gets very isolated and ends up with no service and no support despite supposedly 3 players playing in behind him.

Last year we tried 4-5-1 which just plays into the oppositions hands and shows them a respect they do not deserve and also puts us on the back foot from kick off and the obligatory lone Ranger up front.

The strategy is to get the ball up the park as quickly as possible and if that means long, then so be it.

We are not taking this league by storm tactically or by some outstanding style of play, we are romping it because we have spent so money on a bunch of players who should be playing at a higher level.

Scouting for what level ? Players to go straight into the first team squad or youth product ?

I would say both. We don't seem to have either at the moment. I know we all wanted a lot of kids to come through during our time out of the top division but lets be honest most of them simply aren't good enough.

Would like to see more of Crawford, Gasparotto and McAusland when he's back from his loan spell. Apart from that I didn't think any of the youngsters last year were good enough, Lewis Macleod being the exception.

I don't think I have the football knowledge and analysis skills to do this for any team, never mind Rangers. I'm often impressed with those skills from the analysts on TV and they show me strategies I'd have never noticed - like Germany's switching midfielder tactics. But then I don't watch enough football to do the studying. I'm mostly interested in watching Rangers and as I can't get to many games and it's now difficult to watch on TV, I don't even see them much these days, apart from the highlights. Last game I went to was the Newcastle game and that was quite enjoyable but any analysis was limited by my pre-match alcohol intake.

I did see the Dons a last season and they did seem to have a philosophy of keeping the ball on the deck against Wimbledon AFC. However, that was a very one dimensional tactic which if not for a late goal could have been disastrous. They had a lot of possession, little penetration and were almost mugged on the break quite a few times. When you play the one same way, as Levein found out, your opposition suss you out. It was also a quite boring with lots of short passes going nowhere with Wimbledon sitting back a lot...

I remember thinking it's how it would be if Rangers did that all the time - all the teams sitting back and us just passing it around with nothing much ever happening and lots of 0-0 draws as a result.

If you can watch a few games of any team and then do an in depth analysis of their formation and tactics then that's an admirable skill I don't think I have. However, I don't feel I see that much to learn from on here in that respect... The guys on the telly seem to be a lot better - and they are usually ex-players and managers, like McCoist, Strachan and Eck etc.

The strategy is to get the ball up the park as quickly as possible and if that means long, then so be it.

It is very prevalent at the moment, especially in away games. I actually saw us deploying this tactic a couple of weeks ago against a gale force wind and I couldn't believe my eyes.

I don't think I have the football knowledge and analysis skills to do this for any team, never mind Rangers.

You are over analyzing what I'm asking. I'm not talking that low level. Basically how does out team prefer to play the game - high front line, four at the back, five at the back, lone striker, two strikers, wingers, player in the hole behind the strikers, sitting midfielder (s)???

It doesn't take a TV panel of professionals to see that surely if you watch your team regularly?

Ah, I misunderstood you I think and largely agree.