DB, I was curious about this published ban so I googled it looking for answers.

The first one I came across was the BBC report after the Villareal game in 2006 ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/5064472.stm

Here is a quote from that report ...

"The meeting followed receipt of Uefa's written grounds for fining Rangers following the tie against Villarreal.

Uefa also ordered Rangers to "anounce measurable targets in order to reduce sectarian behaviour amongst its supporters".

When you read the article it does NOT show you how UEFA banned TBB just that Rangers had to cut down on sectarian behaviour. The banning at this point of TBB seems to be a BBC slant on this issue ( we have subsequently seen how their reporting on all matters of Rangers is incredibly skewed ).

Secondly I found this report from a more non-biased source. Your last sentence in post #20 is backed up when you see who is making noises about us - Catholic Archbishop of Glasgow Mario Conti.

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/content/news_syndication/article_06052conti.shtml

Here is a quote from this article ...

"The UEFA report concluded that such songs were part of "Scotland's social and historical background."

It declared: "After studying the evidence at hand, as well as the statement of Rangers FC, the Control and Disciplinary Body concedes that the supporters have been singing the 'Billy Boys' for years during national and international matches without either the Scottish football or governmental authorities being able to intervene. The result is that this song is now somewhat tolerated."

"Given this social and historical context UEFA cannot demand an end to behaviour that has been tolerated for years."

It was the naughty ad-ons that were the problem.

Thirdly I give this post from a RM poster ...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

A member on Rangerschat tonight has stated he has asked the SFA about the banning of the song and has been told they know nothing about it. The ban was imposed by Rangers, and nobody else.

This would appear to prove that this song has neither been banned by UEFA nor the SFA. It was "banned" by SDM and MB because they wanted to show the bully boys at FAIR and elsewhere that they were doing something in the war against sectarianism. This was followed up with the testimony of Professor Tom Devine - undefended by Rangers - in some tribunal and on a BBC programme where he described how saying "******" was bad.

Also, I don't buy the argument that we don't want to annoy anyone on the SPFL board as we make our way back up the leagues. They tried to kill us, what else do we need to fear?

If it's a Uefa matter why can't we sing it domestically either? It's not just Killie either. It's Hearts, Dundee, Sunderland, West Ham, Man Utd etc etc. They are all upto their knees in someone elses blood.

It's not the knees in blood word use, it is the 'sectarian' word. Whether I agree with it or not, we know the words which will get us in trouble. The same applies to the tims

What I was referring to is ...

Any Form Of ' Billy Boys Is Banned.

Date: 9 Jun 2006 08:36:49 -0700

Joint Supporter/Club Statement

AT the request of a cross-section of Rangers Supporters, a meeting was

held last night with Chairman, David Murray and Chief Executive, Martin

Bain to discuss what the fans can collectively do to assist the Club in

their ongoing efforts to silence the Sectarian minority who continue to

damage the Club's reputation.

A positive debate was held at Murray Park and all parties are united in

a bid to silence the minority that continue to tarnish the reputation

of Rangers Football Club. It was obvious from last night's meeting that

the recent fines imposed by UEFA and the associated press coverage has

been detrimental to the Club and to the individuals who genuinely

support Rangers for its football and true values.It has been agreed

between members of the Club's Board and representatives of the fan base

that in the coming weeks this joint committee will do everything in

their power to ensure that the Club does not breach the UEFA directives

and implore upon the fans that self policing among the support is key

to avoid sanctions being imposed or expulsion from European competition

altogether.

David Murray commented: "These supporters groups represented should be

applauded for coming forward in recognition of the importance of this

issue. I am delighted at the progress we made last night."Over the last

two years the Club has strived fervently under the banner of Pride over

Prejudice working with the authorities to impose indefinite and

lifetime bans. "I look forward in the coming weeks to implementing some

of the actions that were discussed.It is absolutely clear to all

concerned that all Supporters need to commit to silencing the

minority."This meeting coincidently coincided with UEFA's written

grounds for the decision rendered by the Appeal Body in relation to

Rangers two Champions League matches against Villarreal.

UEFA have issued the Club with certain directives in order to combat

sectarianism more efficiently.Firstly the Club has been 'ordered to

announce measurable targets in order to reduce sectarian behaviour

amongst its supporters'.Secondly 'to control their anti-sectarian

activities by producing comprehensive statistics that are communicated

to the public'.

Finally 'to make a public address announcement at every official

fixture, be it international or domestic, stating that any sectarian

chanting and any form of 'Billy Boys' songs is strictly prohibited.'

David Edgar of the Rangers Supporters Trust, Mark Dingwall of Follow

Follow and Jim Templeton of the Rangers Supporters Assembly jointly

agreed the following Statement: "The message now could not be clearer

that the spotlight is upon the Supporters and the Club and it is their

duty to work together to stamp out the minority who are damaging the

reputations of all those connected with Rangers Football Club. "Not only

does this small minority tarnish the reputation of Rangers, but of

Scottish football and our society in general and hopefully anyone who

is interested in Scottish football will work with us in assisting to

eradicate this behaviour. "Supporter Representatives

Jim Templeton Assembly President

Alex Milree Chairman of the Scottish Alliance Delegates

Mark Dingwall Follow Follow/ Rangers Supporters Trust

James Carlin The Blue Order

Simon Leslie The Blue Order

Tam Green Lanarkshire Supporters Representative

David Edgar Rangers Supporters Trust, Media Spokesperson

Ross Blyth Fife and District supporters club representative

Malcolm McNiven Rangers Supporters Trust, Chairman

Lifted from and saved by Newsgroup

What I was referring to is ...

Lifted from and saved by Newsgroup

I had read that quote on RM as well, but this is a statement from SDM. However, the quote from the UEFA report - "Given this social and historical context UEFA cannot demand an end to behaviour that has been tolerated for years." - belies SDM 's statement.

I contend that in his desperation to be seen to be doing something he slanted his interpretation of what UEFA had sent him to include this song being banned when it did not have to be. Only the add-ons were sectarian in nature. He sacrificed the fans favourite anthem to appease the bheasts. Perhaps he thought it politically expedient to do so.

Just to side track a bit has anybody ever sung this text to the sash.

The Sash (2)

It is old but it is beautiful, it's red, it's white and it's blue

It's worn on the slopes of Ibrox Park, and a place called Parkhead too

My father wore it as a youth in the bygone days of yore

And it's on display every Saturday

Every time the Rangers score.

Personally I have never heard it before.

I had read that quote on RM as well, but this is a statement from SDM. However, the quote from the UEFA report - "Given this social and historical context UEFA cannot demand an end to behaviour that has been tolerated for years." - belies SDM 's statement.

I contend that in his desperation to be seen to be doing something he slanted his interpretation of what UEFA had sent him to include this song being banned when it did not have to be. Only the add-ons were sectarian in nature. He sacrificed the fans favourite anthem to appease the bheasts. Perhaps he thought it politically expedient to do so.

I may be wrong but was that quote from UEFA not made before their appeal? From memory the subsequent letter from UEFA clearly stated the song had to be banned.

I may be wrong but was that quote from UEFA not made before their appeal? From memory the subsequent letter from UEFA clearly stated the song had to be banned.

Bluedell you're right, in that there was an appeal but the letter did not clearly state that TBB should be banned. SDM did that all on his own ...

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/rangers-warn-fans-as-uefa-issues-fine-and-severe-rebuke-1-1119276

A couple of quotes from the article ...

1. RANGERS last night accepted the decision by UEFA's Appeals Body to partially uphold the appeal against their Control and Disciplinary Body's not guilty verdict served on the Ibrox club for alleged discriminatory chants by their supporters during their Champions League last-16 tie against Villarreal.

2. A UEFA statement said Rangers have been "severely warned about their responsibility for any future misconduct by their fans in relation to sectarian and discriminatory behaviour."

Now I've rooted around and I can't find the actual UEFA verdict on the partial appeal. If we go by what the article is saying then it does not specifically ban TBB. It warns Rangers about their responsibility for future misconduct.

The best I could find was that the part that UEFA found sectarian was all of the add-ons, like FTP. The club was warned to make public announcements to curtail these chants and because of this I believe that SDM decided to stamp out TBB as well. His decision, not UEFA's or the SFA's. However, by banning TBB he got his message through to the fan groups about all of the add-ons.

As a further point of interest I found this story ...

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/association=aut/news/newsid=1653423.html

UEFA and Austria mourn Gerhard Kapl

Published: Wednesday 27 July 2011, 9.08CET

Former referee and UEFA disciplinary inspector Gerhard Kapl has passed away at the age of 64, with Austrian Football Association president Leo Windtner leading the tributes.

Anyway, time for a bit of shuteye.

I would assume that letters directly sent to a club are not always made public on UEFA's or a club's website. E.g. Mark Dingwall never ever said anything to the contrary despite numerous requests to bring TBB or "Hullo Hullo" back. Hence, I assume that these people actually saw the letter on that day.