ALLY McCoist today urged Rangers fans to back the current Ibrox board.....

A membership scheme where you don't own the club is pointless. Members of other teams own the club.

You sure have a dozen or so handy, do you? I mean teams where fans really really "own" the club and actually have a say in what is going on, who is appointed as manager and whatnot.

Where supporters have a say in who is the manager, which players can be sold or need to be signed and all? For that is in essence what some folks are look at when thinking about a membership-scheme.

Well they put the board in place and that's part of it sometimes.

But I repeat membership without ownership is pointless.

Well they put the board in place and that's part of it sometimes.

But I repeat membership without ownership is pointless.

Essentially, what happens is that the members have their own AGM and via their votes (membership) they elect a board that looks after club (or membership) matters. Or, at least after the money the members put into the club via their membership fees. They hardly "own" the club though.

That is why a membership scheme lead by people all supporters trust (ex. players, managers, reliable Bluenose financial gurus and lawyers) is the way ahead for us, one that would be able to put pressure on the board of the company. For those elected and trusted men hold all the aces when it comes to membership money being used for the club or indeed the company.

In a very broad meaning of the term. Essentially, their membership works like I wrote above. As long as there is a Limited Company running the club, somesuch will not happen at Rangers. What people could do is run the membership scheme like I pointed out above and utilize it for power on the board and an eventual takeover with membership money. At the end of the day, while the members "own" the club, the club's affairs will still be done by an elected board of people. Given the factionalism that is rife amongst our support and even withing the various groups, I cannot see a membership scheme looking for taking over the club for quite some time yet.