On Reflection I thought McCoist Did Well Yesterday

On another day, yesterday's attitude and effort would have seen us through to the final. I didn't think we deserved to lose based on our overall play.

That said, we were very poor defensively and missed some fantastic chances, so with 2 out of 3 areas of the park misfiring, I don't know whether I can justify the "did well" tag.

Nevertheless I was heartened that we can still play football when we want to.

I'll be very interested to see what sort of performance we get from the team on Tuesday at Ibrox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think McCoist's problem is that he's got a habit of being unlucky. I really think he had to win this one as it was at "home" and especially after losing to Raith. If it wasn't for his poor track record in the cups then it could be seen as a glitch but although it was a reasonable couple of cup runs, he should have done better in one or two cup competitions since he took over, even considering the difficult circumstances.

In the league, he's done about as good a job as could be expected, but apart from the first season, he hasn't had a real challenger to make winning the league difficult, and to measure him by.

Basically he's had 10 chances to do something decent in a cup and not taken them, so despite the enormous mitigation, he's shows a lack of the x-factor to win stuff. He had better than a 1 in 10 chance of either winning a domestic cup or just progressing to one of the European league stages, and he has underperformed.

However, I'm not sure if the board would sack him, or that he'd resign. The biggest problem in any case would be who to replace him with that could do a better job and start winning cups again - especially when Celtic are not the opposition?

Those regularly put forward on here have not been winners or ever shown that they have what it takes, with credentials no better, or worse than McCoist - who has after all won stuff as an assistant.

I can think of no-one that we could attract or afford who could do the job on the likely budget that will be available.

As I said in another thread . . .

We know our own team has its limitations but Dundee United were ragged and clumsy, and a poor advert for top tier football.

We were untidy and careless too, but a few promising moments in the first half which could have changed the course of the game came to nothing as our striking quality fell short of the required standard.

Defensively, Rangers were vulnerable, but playing professional opposition highlights the difference between today's outing and the walk in the park which has been the team's league campaign. Against part-timers, we can line up victories, but against the might of Raith Rovers and Dundee United, we labour unproductively.

Rangers started the game with energy and passion, which was briefly encouraging, but defensive sloppiness allowed United to cash in. The game certainly had some of the excitement of a cup-tie but probably more spills than thrills.

Both goalkeepers made gaffes, but the one that led to the third Dundee United goal was a shocker. It more than made up for the sole Rangers counter which too easily beat the United number one.

While some fans will cling to 'if only' with regard to early missed opportunities, they would be well advised not to bother. This mismanaged Rangers team is a long way short of measuring up to the rather disappointing standard that is all too visible in elite Scottish football.

In an impoverished football culture, Rangers is as clueless, inept and incompetent as its harshest critics have been saying. The board of directors now has a choice to make: keep the manager and prolong the agony or make a change and invite further controversy.

Really, the choice isn't that difficult - as long as the board has genuine ambition for Rangers.

We're still seriously short in a few areas of the team. IMO we need:-

1) a proper RB

2) a CB to replace Jig

3) creativity in MF

4) pace up front in the wide areas

5) someone up front who can get a similar amount of goals to play alongside Daly

We need to remember that next season by reaching the SC final could mean getting into the Europa league the following season.Signing no one this summer is not an option . We must strengthen the side

I was away for the weekend so just getting round to discussing this now.

I actually thought we played very well and if wasn't for some suicidal defending and woeful finishing, we'd be talking about the upcoming final rather than anything else.

The problem is that these performances are few and far between. While I don't expect top class displays from every player every game, we should expect them more often and when they don't happen, there should be changes. This hasn't been the case and this is why the manager suffers from valid criticism.