On Reflection I thought McCoist Did Well Yesterday

I appreciate this won't be a popular view but yesterday's performance was actually quite heartening and one that suggested to me that McCoist actually does have a chance. Let me explain

Only got this far. Now, where's me pitchfork...

I want to believe what you're saying Amms, but i'm past defending mediocrity. Ally's plans were picked apart by a Dundee team that was playing below par. We played at our technical best with effort and commitment and it was still well short of what's needed to compete against the better teams. It crushes me to say but i don't think our managers or coaches have the ability to take us to the next level.

I hate myself now.

We played well 1st half and were unlucky to go in one down.

The usual ended up letting us down, bad defence and we have a striker who doesn't score.

Ally just doesn't know how to change things, on the park and off, it is time for fresh ideas.

Yep, 20 goals in 29 games is just rubbish. He should have 50 by now! Now back to the real world.

Amms, we also missed Templeton. Daly alone up front only works if any of the attacking midlfielders remain close by, being able to pick off any lose balls and flick-ons. Aird, Little and Shiels are far too happy to run about in that respect. IMHO, Daly and Clark are a must up front, or, if football's on the menue, Shiels and Clark. Aird or/as well as Templeton should be given a free-roving role behind the strikers and ask to shoot from all angles.

IMHO Peralta yesterday had his best game for us, maybe raising to the challenge more than all other players.

The central defence needs to be sorted. McCulloch should not be in there next season, whether freebie Gunning is the answer is anyone's guess. And we sure need a captain out there, i.e. a REAL captain who sorts out his teammates on the field and leads from the front as well.

Yep, 20 goals in 29 games is just rubbish. He should have 50 by now! Now back to the real world.

Amms, we also missed Templeton. Daly alone up front only works if any of the attacking midlfielders remain close by, being able to pick off any lose balls and flick-ons. Aird, Little and Shiels are far too happy to run about in that respect. IMHO, Daly and Clark are a must up front, or, if football's on the menue, Shiels and Clark. Aird or/as well as Templeton should be given a free-roving role behind the strikers and ask to shoot from all angles.

IMHO Peralta yesterday had his best game for us, maybe raising to the challenge more than all other players.

The central defence needs to be sorted. McCulloch should not be in there next season, whether freebie Gunning is the answer is anyone's guess. And we sure need a captain out there, i.e. a REAL captain who sorts out his teammates on the field and leads from the front as well.

Agree db, the most basic of football philosophy for Dinosaurs is the long ball and lone striker tactics, we can't get either right.

Lone striker tactics are employed by Bayern Munich throughout the season, and Chelsea and Swansea as we write. You need to have decent enough players around that striker (who himself should be somewhat capable) of course, and Clark, Templeton, Aird and maybe McKay can be utilized here. And that's just one system that should be trained and readily available. The team should obviously be able to change to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 if required, pending on game and opponent, though you can only work with the material at hand.

Yesterday showed that we can match the frenetic pace of the SPL but can't channel it properly. If we had played at that tempo v Raith Rovers we would have swept them aside. That's been our biggest failing IMHO these past two seasons - dropping down to the level of the opposition. DU looked like scoring every time they went up the park in the first half but we missed two cast iron chances, can't do that in a semi v an SPL team. We utterly dominated the second half but never really looked dangerous. We need the quality of McLeod, Templeton and McKay and a decent coach

Lone striker tactics are employed by Bayern Munich throughout the season, and Chelsea and Swansea as we write. You need to have decent enough players around that striker (who himself should be somewhat capable) of course, and Clark, Templeton, Aird and maybe McKay can be utilized here. And that's just one system that should be trained and readily available. The team should obviously be able to change to 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 if required, pending on game and opponent, though you can only work with the material at hand.

The vast majority of sides in Europe play one main striker now and have done so for a while. The problem is we play far too negatively against anyone half decent and don't provide the striker enough support.

The vast majority of sides in Europe play one main striker now and have done so for a while. The problem is we play far too negatively against anyone half decent and don't provide the striker enough support.

Coaches will tell you that that is because in modern football you cannot afford to have any players not contributing, a second striker just to stand up the park is not contributing enough to the team. But lone strikers need to be almost superhuman and need good subs for when they run out of gas.