Nah, sorry Cal, but that just doesnt wash.

"Results like a top half, top tier team" ? Do you seriously believe that ?

While their is little real evidence to base any ranking or even prediction on next season, I would pretty much defend that our results last season were pretty consistent with what you'd expect from an SPL team that consistently finished say 4th to 6th.

The loss to Dundee Utd looked like two similar standard teams but with one having more practice against higher quality sides, and therefore took their chances better. This is also pretty consistent with my premise. A lesser team that has been pushed down the divisions from the top, like say Dunfermline, would be far less likely to romp the third tier like we did (as evidenced) or get to a semi of the cup and the final of the Ramsdens.

Cup games are one offs and depends on the opposition but getting to the latter stages, but along with the league form our form is again consistent with a better SPL team. Losing the semi and final is also not unusual and possibly shows a lack of being in the top three or four.

The loss in the League Cup again would not be unusual as the first game of the season especially when you throw in the embargo - which makes it an anomalous statistic which has little significance in any case.

I would say if you were profiling a team to fit our results, a fifth or sixth SPL team shoved into League One, wouldn't exactly be a bad fit.

To add to this you have our much complained about wage bill which while inflated due to being Rangers and being in a lower tier, still has some indication of quality, for which when you look at the type of player we have recruited, again would be consistent with a top half club.

With the absence of any real comparative data that can be relied upon, we ALL have to resort to a bit of hand waving and subjective and qualitative conjecture, and I don't think mine is exactly outrageous.

You can never write off the likes of Hearts and Hibs but I get the impression they may be in a far worst state than us and without even our comparatively modest budget. Their managers have arguably done a worse job than even the poor opinion of McCoist's performance from his most ardent of critics.

i think both are far far more likely to remain solvent than us.

This is what makes the OP's question so difficult to answer. There is a huge "IF" hanging over us. Well, more than one huge "IF", but the chance of running out of money before Hallowe'en makes expectations for the season hard to quantify.