Reading your initial post made me think that they were actively trying to sell him "recently", when you were actually talking about the turn of the year. A misunderstanding then and I can't remember telling you or anyone that s/-he is "talking shite". Though one might draw and quarter a list of synonyms to get to this conclusion ...

You mean the last transfer window.

we have 1 player of the requisite quality and our board spent 2 months trying to sell him recently.

You mean the last transfer window.

You (!) meant the last transfer window, yet wrote "recently". We have June now and if I read recently, I'm not thinking of January. I assume that we have not been trying to sell him ever since the winter window closed.

You (!) meant the last transfer window, yet wrote "recently". We have June now and if I read recently, I'm not thinking of January. I assume that we have not been trying to sell him ever since the winter window closed.

Since he made it clear they couldn't force him out. Probably not but who knows.

I think my use of the word recently was entirely accurate.

re·cent·ly

ˈrēsəntlē/

adverb

at a recent time; not long ago.

"I recently bought a CD player"

synonyms:not long ago, a short time ago, in the past few days/weeks/months, a little while back; lately, latterly, just now

"they recently installed a new flagpole"

Since he made it clear they couldn't force him out. Probably not but who knows.

I think my use of the word recently was entirely accurate.

Obviously "recently" does refer to a vague point in time. WWII was only recently, if compared to a timespan that includes the last ice age. Likewise, London is pretty "close" to Berlin, if you look at it from Down Under.

As I pointed out, I did not note us trying to sell any player from the current squad these last 5 months, which I regard as "recently" when it comes to such talk. No need to attempt trying to tell me about the meaning of that word, rest assured.

There is no SPL, but I reckon we'll win the Premiership one day in the not too distant future. It is at times rather staggering to read people essentially blasting such signings, without having seen the player that often (if at all) and not giving him the chance to prove whether he can rise to the occasion. Sure, we have signed loads of "bad" folk over the years, but if McGregor proves to be only a quarter as good as Weir or Berg or Dailly, he'll improve our current squad. And whether he'll stay on for 6 more years to do a Weir is anyone's guess. Maybe it should be time for some to actually start filling their glasses, for it seems those are not even half empty. No-one expects you to dance jigs about it either, BTW.

If McGregor turns out to be a quarter as good as Christian Dailly, he'll be rotten on a good day, horrendous on a mediocre day and a complete liability when he has a bad one.

Being a quarter as good as Christian Dailly would provide performance levels similar to that of a short-sighted, arthritic, heavy-smoking pensioner carrying some heavy shopping(I'm sure that last bit is Blackadder-inspired).

If we were lucky . . .

Obviously "recently" does refer to a vague point in time. WWII was only recently, if compared to a timespan that includes the last ice age. Likewise, London is pretty "close" to Berlin, if you look at it from Down Under.

As I pointed out, I did not note us trying to sell any player from the current squad these last 5 months, which I regard as "recently" when it comes to such talk. No need to attempt trying to tell me about the meaning of that word, rest assured.

If you use transfer windows as you frame of reference the correct word is currently.