If memory serves, the SFA have shown examples of their disciplinary interjections.

Wasn't it a few years ago when they were dealing with a complaint about the Celtic fans emitting forth with offensive chanting? The Roll of Honour, I believe.

The SFA decided that no action against the club was required because the club had taken all reasonable and necessary steps within their power to advertise the club's request that the crowd should not engage in offensive chanting or singing.

No action was taken against Celtic, who were at that time represented by Paul McBride. It may not be exactly the case but words to that effect.

Anyway, haven't Rangers taken the same steps of encouraging the fans not to engage in offensive chants on a regular basis?

Ergo, the SFA have set a precedent. Now, what UEFA would think of that I don't know.

And this time, if required, the RFFF can fund for a lawyer's defence.

If memory serves, the SFA have shown examples of their disciplinary interjections.

Wasn't it a few years ago when they were dealing with a complaint about the Celtic fans emitting forth with offensive chanting? The Roll of Honour, I believe.

The SFA decided that no action against the club was required because the club had taken all reasonable and necessary steps within their power to advertise the club's request that the crowd should not engage in offensive chanting or singing.

No action was taken against Celtic, who were at that time represented by Paul McBride. It may not be exactly the case but words to that effect.

Anyway, haven't Rangers taken the same steps of encouraging the fans not to engage in offensive chants on a regular basis?

Ergo, the SFA have set a precedent. Now, what UEFA would think of that I don't know.

And this time, if required, the RFFF can fund for a lawyer's defence.

The SPL came up with the same reasoning after complaints were made against Rangers at a game in Inverness. UEFA said diddly. ;)

A song about defeating the English isn't anti- English? Really?

And it's not our national anthem.

I thought I'd pretty explicitly explained both... If you want to put your hands on your ears chant, "la la la" then there's not much I can do.

Oh dear, someone has dropped their dummy. Not very becoming of a "Gersnet Writer".

Eh, what are you on about? Care to explain? Or are you just trolling?

It would make a nice change to be addressed by someone making a cogent point... Weird, considering how the forum was complimented in the OP. :rolleyes:

I think The Billy Boys (in all forms) is banned from Uefa games. It's not banned at Scottish games but if you use the original words you may get prosecuted. There was an away game against Hamilton Accies (I think) when everyong used the words La la.....to the tune. Seemed to be no problem for anyone. I particularly liked the bit just after the song just ended, when the crowd chanted LA! LA! LA!

As far as I am concerned it has never fully gone away and has been sung at various times, and to varying degrees, since the 2006 ruling. It will definitely be heard again at the first game against Celtic, so you had better cover your ears. It will never be sung in such numbers as in the past, so in that way, yes, it has 'gone'.

Hats off! That was nicely done. I honestly am impressed with how you body-swerved the question - so let me try a more direct approach: Do you support the singing of TBB?

The 'all but disappeared' part is where your argument falls down. UEFA would punish any infraction in their competitions. The fact is that the SFA have 'let it slide' with no involvement from the European governing body.

unsubstantiated hypothesis based on nothing but opinion.

I apologise for not making myself clearer. Can you provide an example of UEFA pulling rank where there has been discriminatory chanting or singing at a match outwith their jurisdiction? That is not a rhetorical question.

Can you provide an example of a club having been charged and fined on three occasions for repeated discriminatory chanting and their national association doing nothing about it? After all, this seems to be the basis of your arguement, namely that the SFA will do nothing about TBB and UEFA will do nothing about the SFA doing nothing. So let's see some evidence to support it.

I think The Billy Boys (in all forms) is banned from Uefa games. It's not banned at Scottish games but if you use the original words you may get prosecuted. There was an away game against Hamilton Accies (I think) when everyong used the words La la.....to the tune. Seemed to be no problem for anyone. I particularly liked the bit just after the song just ended, when the crowd chanted LA! LA! LA!

it kinda is, since it's against the law to sing it. I don't think arson or murder are specifically banned at Scottish games either.

Hats off! That was nicely done. I honestly am impressed with how you body-swerved the question - so let me try a more direct approach: Do you support the singing of TBB?

unsubstantiated hypothesis based on nothing but opinion.

Can you provide an example of a club having been charged and fined on three occasions for repeated discriminatory chanting and their national association doing nothing about it? After all, this seems to be the basis of your arguement, namely that the SFA will do nothing about TBB and UEFA will do nothing about the SFA doing nothing. So let's see some evidence to support it.

Yes.

It's not, the proof is all there, or not, as the case may be.

Queen's Park - December 2012

Berwick - February 2013

A few spontaneous outbursts aside, the song has all but disappeared from our games - especially at home.

I'm sure we'll hear it again now and again in the same way - either by a few people or by hundreds encouraged by the context of one-off game incidents - but generally TBB has gone and while the circumstances of the ban can (and always will be) debated, I don't think we have much to gain from falling out with each other over it.

Yes.

Ok, so you support singing a song which damages the reputation and finances of the club, which threatens our future participation in European football and you're quite happy to put your own anti-catholic agenda before the well-being of Rangers FC.

That's all we need to know.