If membership had not been transferred, and if the club had died, I wonder if we would have rallied to a genuinely new club that was owned by untrusted strangers which happened to play at Ibrox - with no history - or if we would have opted to start afresh with a new club wholly owned by its membership?

Perhaps there would have been a split and both would have happened.

Bit like FC United of Manchester perhaps, and in not entirely different circumstances.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

I think there would have been a split and both would have happened. Knowing us those two would then further fragment and a handful of sides would exist all claiming to be the real Rangers and all hating each other and arguing via dedicated and heavily infiltrated bespoke forums.

Like you and Gunslinger, I think there would have been a split, but there would be no real Rangers any more. The argument would be about which new group represented the true spirit of the old Rangers.

I know my own position on this. Once it was confirmed beyond doubt that Rangers had ceased to be, I would have been behind a new fan-owned entity rather than a club that happened to play at Ibrox, that had no history, and which was owned anonymously or by people who had allegiances elsewhere.

I would look on the demise of the old club as an opportunity to build a new one, and it would probably be quite exciting after we had got over the cataclysmic event of Rangers going under.

If membership had not been transferred, and if the club had died, I wonder if we would have rallied to a genuinely new club that was owned by untrusted strangers which happened to play at Ibrox - with no history - or if we would have opted to start afresh with a new club wholly owned by its membership?

Perhaps there would have been a split and both would have happened.

I don't think i could have supported a new club, either way. My heart is with this club, if it goes, my support goes too. I would just be a normal football fanatic but with no club to feel attached to.

I don't think i could have supported a new club, either way. My heart is with this club, if it goes, my support goes too. I would just be a normal football fanatic but with no club to feel attached to.

I can understand that, but with the passage of time, and with a new upstart club borrowing a tune or two from the Rangers repertoire, people might feel inclined to back it when it eventually squared up to Celtic.

Being a football fanatic without having an allegiance is a bit like being a car nut without owning a car. It can be done, but it is surely an incomplete experience.

I can understand that, but with the passage of time, and with a new upstart club borrowing a tune or two from the Rangers repertoire, people might feel inclined to back it when it eventually squared up to Celtic.

Being a football fanatic without having an allegiance is a bit like being a car nut without owning a car. It can be done, but it is surely an incomplete experience.

I know what you mean mate but i just couldn't see myself feeling so much for another club or entity. I have gave so much to this club.

I know what you mean mate but i just couldn't see myself feeling so much for another club or entity. I have gave so much to this club.

I'm sure we all have, but a new club would have the same people supporting it, or at least some of them anyway. It could fall by the wayside of course, but imagine if it actually took off. It would be a wonderful experience to grow a new club from the ashes of the old one.

Hopefully Rangers will get through this sorry period and we'll never need to start a new club, but I'm not particularly optimistic - at the moment - about our longer term outlook.