A manager should be able to identify a player's weaknesses or strengths but it's the job of the assistant coaches to teach the players how to compesate for weaknesses and enhance strengths. The manager won't have time for that and might not have the particular coaching skills.

Let's take your post as fact.

If he can spot those deficiencies, he should also be able to spot that his assistants have not improved said player. If he does nothing to change things over a period of years, then he carries the can.

Ach that's just a defence of Craig Levein's 6-4-0... :whistle:

The irony is that with a McMessi it would have worked.

For all the millions and millions of words that have praised Barcelona over the Guardiola reign, Messi in his pomp was well over 50% of the reason it was so successful.

Being realistic ? Seriously ?

So a managers job isn't to get the best out of his players or to improve their performance levels ? Oh man, where to even start with that !

Now it is acceptable for a Rangers manager to not improve the players at his disposal ? Good Lord.

With comments like that maybe we really should just turn off the lights !

Once you are back from orbit, read my last sentence again.

Frankie

I'm not saying this is easy or that the standard of player doesn't affect the above but to suggest it's unrealistic to expect a manager to be able to improve his players - any player, from Foster to Messi - is a line of thinking I'm struggling to see.

I did not say anything to that context. I just don't see it as a requirement for a Rangers manager to improve all of his current squad ... not least when those who he has at his disposal are better players then him already. Which is not exactly the case with McCoist, but that's not the bone of contention for me here.

DB:

You specifically asked if it was a requirement of a Rangers manager to improve his players while suggesting it was unrealistic to expect it. No need for context, you were quite clear in your statements.

Of course a manager is expected to improve his players - whether he was a good player or not himself. OK, as a striker Ally may not be expected to tell Darren McGregor how to defend per se but he should certainly be looking to improve the lad as a player generally - either via the appointment or a suitable defensive coach, studying the role himself and/or adding to other facets of a player's game such as dealing with the press or coping with bad performances and associated stresses.

Yes, it's absolutely unrealistic to expect a manager to be able to do all this himself but I'd certainly expect any Rangers manager to facilitate it somehow. That's why managers have coaching teams - teams they're responsible for choosing, leading and, well, managing. Just like players.

Player development and improvement is just one part of management. A key one.

I wouldn't like to attend any job interview and say it was unrealistic to expect me to improve the company or colleagues I was responsible for. :D