Once you are back from orbit, read my last sentence again.

Frankie

I did not say anything to that context. I just don't see it as a requirement for a Rangers manager to improve all of his current squad ... not least when those who he has at his disposal are better players then him already. Which is not exactly the case with McCoist, but that's not the bone of contention for me here.

You're not clever enough to get away with moving the goalposts.

DB:

You specifically asked if it was a requirement of a Rangers manager to improve his players while suggesting it was unrealistic to expect it. No need for context, you were quite clear in your statements.

My statement was based on what previous Rangers managers were expected to do. I for one doubt that developing players is or was very high on any Rangers manager's requirement list these last few decades. Not many did that either. Most of the replies in this thread are aimed to have a shot at McCoist for following in the footsteps of his predecessors, who hardly did anything for "player development/improvement", or at least of any significant scale. I'm realistic enough to note and remark that this was not high on Ally's requirements when he took over. That he could and should have done better when he was required or asked to is another matter. That said, I for one doubt that he IS capable of doing that anyway.

Nothing about goalposts at all.

i think it best we learn from the last 20 years not repeat them

You do, as you should - whereas Ally happily tells us that "to be brutally honest training is just the same as it was back then and I'm very hopeful, absolutely hopeful, that you'll all now see that, to be brutally honest, your worries about us being unfit just because we are fat, slow and overrun by part-timers, is absolutely, to be frank, nonsense because we are, absolutely, definitely the same as 20 years ago,,,,"

Off camera "what do you mean, the game has evolved...not here it fucking hasn't, lets have a wee kick about where I score the winner and we go to Nandos to celebrate. And then some golf, eh? Or Karaoke.........."

Edited by SteveC

My statement was based on what previous Rangers managers were expected to do. I for one doubt that developing players is or was very high on any Rangers manager's requirement list these last few decades. Not many did that either. Most of the replies in this thread are aimed to have a shot at McCoist for following in the footsteps of his predecessors, who hardly did anything for "player development/improvement", or at least of any significant scale. I'm realistic enough to note and remark that this was not high on Ally's requirements when he took over. That he could and should have done better when he was required or asked to is another matter. That said, I for one doubt that he IS capable of doing that anyway.

Nothing about goalposts at all.

I'd respectfully suggest that if you genuinely think managers don't want to develop players - either youngsters or signings they make - then you're in a minority of one.

I'd say it's a pre-requisite for any manager. And certainly one for any club in Scotland.

Chairman:

How can you improve our team?

Manager A :

Is that necessary or realistic? I don't need to develop players. Just let me sign as many as I can for as much as I can. Dispense with the youth system and scouting as I don't care about bringing through young lads or signing bargains which we can improve and sell on for more money. It's not my job to make things better.

Manager:

I really want you to sign for our club.

Player:

Great I'd love to play for Rangers but I don't have much experience of being at a bigger club and feel my aspects of my game could be improved. Moreover, I'd like to work on my fitness/passing/shooting/heading. Can you help?

Manager:

Nah, you're good enough and, anyway, I wasn't a great player before I became a manager so you'll know better than me anyway.

:D

If we're still sitting here with the same squad of players this time next year, then more than 10 of them would be over 30 years of age.

Here's what an 'over 30s' Rangers line-up could look like next season:

Simonsen(36)

McGregor(30) - Jig(37) - Zaliukas(31/32) - Smith(30)

Foster(30) - Black(30/31) - Shiels(30/31)

Daly(32/33) - Boyd(32) - Miller(35/36)

Regarding improving players, some of our players are just crap and aren't going to improve much (if at all) at the age of 30+.

Sure but we should still be looking to do so. And I'd be stunned if any manager didn't think they could improve a player - for ego reasons if nothing else.

Do you really think McCoist said 'let's sign Darren McGregor: he's as good as he'll get so we don't need to waste time trying to make him better'?

Yes, we may not improve a Cribari or a Daly per se but I'd say such players are the exception to the rule. Even if we look at the supposedly classic chequebook management style of Advocaat, do we really believe he felt he couldn't improve a Ricksen or Gio before moving them on? Even when he signed Billy Dodds and Rod Wallace, I'm sure he saw the potential they had for development despite their elder age.

Every player has to adapt to playing for a new club. That often means immediate development and improvement of which the manager and player are both responsible for.

Sure but we should still be looking to do so. And I'd be stunned if any manager didn't think they could improve a player - for ego reasons if nothing else.

Do you really think McCoist said 'let's sign Darren McGregor: he's as good as he'll get so we don't need to waste time trying to make him better'?

Yes, we may not improve a Cribari or a Daly per se but I'd say such players are the exception to the rule. Even if we look at the supposedly classic chequebook management style of Advocaat, do we really believe he felt he couldn't improve a Ricksen or Gio before moving them on? Even when he signed Billy Dodds and Rod Wallace, I'm sure he saw the potential they had for development despite their elder age.

Every player has to adapt to playing for a new club. That often means immediate development and improvement of which the manager and player are both responsible for.

I'd say if you asked all of our players every single one of them would claim that they constantly try to improve themselves and some do actually manage to do that through hard work and dedication.

Likewise with the manager and his coaching staff, it's guaranteed that if asked about it they would say that of course they do try to improve their players.

As we all know though, what the players and management team say they do (or are going to do) isn't necessarily always in line with what they actually do.

We're constantly told they're trying to and aiming to improve, become more consistent, create more scoring chances, take more chances etc etc etc, but they are always just one or two poor performances or results away from not doing so.

Oh, I'm not saying they're always capable of doing it. However, they will try to. Or should be anyway...

Like I say, if I was a chairman or player and a possible manager said otherwise (and had demonstrated this) then he'd be low on my list of possible colleagues for sure.

It's a key ability of a football manager to improve and develop players. If they can't do it (and that's a fair question of McCoist) then they'll have a short career. I'm amazed anyone would say otherwise.