We were also supposedly awful against Derby. You can't really read too much into friendlies because the likes of Newcastle would destroy us in a competitive match. We have been embarrassed by the likes of Alloa and Queen of the South. The championship is absolutely light years ahead of the SPL, that goes without saying. As I say, look at the players who go to and from the Scottish and English leagues. Teams like Caley Thistle literally are looking at the very bottom end English players. You have players in the lower English leagues going for millions, aside from Celtic nobody in Scotland spends a penny on transfers. If you took Aberdeen who are second top of the SPL and put them against Barnet who are top of the Conference, I'm not convinced Aberdeen would win.

I completely get what your saying - in terms of money and the market they shop the SPL ranks - IMO around the middle of league 1. However one thing that is hard to judge is the level which our youth players are at in terms of England. The likes of Hearts and Hamilton seem to have a fantastic selection of youth players from Scotland - something which the lower leagues of England cannot claim to have. (With the best English players going to the premier league)

With homegrown player in the mix I think that most SPL sides would do ok I'm the English championship (I.e not relegated) and this goes for the current celtic team also.

Why do you consider yourself a Rangers' supporter?

Possibly because I regularly attended games until a year or two ago, what about yourself?

Being expert of the Conference league teams and Premiership (particularly Celtic) and you cant remember exactly when you stopped supporting Rangers? :laugh2:

I completely get what your saying - in terms of money and the market they shop the SPL ranks - IMO around the middle of league 1. However one thing that is hard to judge is the level which our youth players are at in terms of England. The likes of Hearts and Hamilton seem to have a fantastic selection of youth players from Scotland - something which the lower leagues of England cannot claim to have. (With the best English players going to the premier league)

With homegrown player in the mix I think that most SPL sides would do ok I'm the English championship (I.e not relegated) and this goes for the current celtic team also.

The best Scottish players go to England as well, if they're good enough.

Crewe, Leeds, Middlesbrough, MK Dons and Peterborough all have very successful youth programmes.

Last season on 1st of October, 13 players trained at Rangers (at least three years between 15 and 21 years old) were playing in top division clubs in Europe(does not include English Championship or any league outwith countries premier division). Last year that was the most of any Scottish side by far. Not seen this years numbers.

Vultures descending ...

Nicky Law could be next player to leave Rangers with Huddersfield Town showing interest as Lewis MacLeod edges closer to Brentford move

Nick Law has emerged as a target for Huddersfield Town

Lewis MacLeod closer to Brentford switch after undergoing medical

Championship outfit hope to register MacLeod once the January transfer window opens

Nicky Law could become the next player through the exit door at Rangers after emerging as a potential target for Huddersfield Town.

Star performer Lewis Macleod was edging closer to a £1million move to Brentford on Tuesday night after undergoing a medical at the Championship outfit.

And now fellow midfielder Law is attracting attention as another English second-tier side considers raiding Ibrox.

It’s thought the interest from Huddersfield remains in its early stages but a reasonable offer may prove hard for Rangers to resist given their perilous financial position.

The latest transfer developments came as the club’s board appeared ready to enter into negotiations with the trio of wealthy fans who made a £6.5m investment proposal last week.

Douglas Park, George Letham and George Taylor offered to buy up all the new shares issued, but the result of an AGM vote means existing shareholders must instead be given first refusal.

Despite that outcome, they remain intent on acquiring a significant stake and have already given proof of their funding to under-fire Rangers PLC chairman David Somers.

The businessmen have now received a reply from Ibrox directors thought to include a variety of investment options, including via a share issue or secured loan.

It’s understood boardroom representation could also be on the table after the group’s initial proposal sought two director’s seats.

A spokesman for the consortium said: ‘Representatives of the company have made contact with our group following our original proposal and we are considering our response.’

A statement released on behalf of Sandy Easdale confirmed the chairman of the Rangers football board would be willing to speak to the group.

‘Sandy would welcome investment from Douglas Park and his friends,’ said Easdale’s adviser, Jack Irvine. ‘As regards board seats that is not his decision.’

Numerous hurdles will have to be overcome to reach an agreement and there remains caution about a positive outcome eventually being delivered.

But the development did offer some hope to a beleaguered Ibrox support left dismayed by Macleod’s imminent departure.

Brentford, who have former Rangers skipper David Weir as assistant manager, shot to the front of the queue for the talented 20-year-old over the weekend.

Talks over personal terms accompanied Tuesday’s medical and, barring any late hitches or competition emerging, the Championship outfit hope to register him once the January transfer window opens.

Macleod has been a shining light in a dismal season for Rangers and the club’s willingness to accept the money on offer further underlines the extent of the turmoil they are facing.

Doubt persists over the ability to meet next month’s wage bill, while the most recent accounts admitted an £8m funding shortfall was faced in 2015.

The SFA – aware of the alternative on offer – last week rejected a request from the club to allow Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to up his stake to 29.9 per cent.

Park, Letham and Taylor believe they have the answer to the funding crisis, but it remains to be seen whether any deal can be reached with those currently in power at Ibrox.

Daily Mail