286trsz.png

His agent making all the right noises for a move (and not a wage increase like we all hope) and our piss poor financial states leave me to believe that Macleod has played his last game for us. Be heartbreaking to see the only positive we seem to have at the club but I'm pretty much resigned to losing him, question is can we get the very best offer unlike previous players where we've accepted the first bid tabled? Does this collection of inept losers masquerading as a board have the foresight to insist on a sell on clause?

Ciao Lewis :(

Dundee United got almost double that for Goodwillie :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if Macleod goes to England and bombs though like most do.

I think McLeod is a decent wee player - but I certainly don't buy into the hype surrounding the lad.

yes he has been played out of position, but he's had a fair amount of poor performances in a blue jersey. I'm just not convinced that he is as good as others are making him out to be. If/when he does leave, IMO he'll be back as an SPL club within a year or two.

As for the links to Newcastle - he wouldn't get anywhere near their first team. He's be a squad player at very best.

It took Naismith a while to get going with Everton too, Jelavic never really touched down though. It could well be that an EPL team uses our current position and buy him now (on the cheap), but loan him back for another season.

We should instead utilize e.g. Albertz and skim the mid and lower reaches of the BL, and the BL 2 and 3 for some young talent looking for an "illustrious adventure" rather than mega-bucks. You'd reckon there are quite a few freebies out there too in those divisions.

McLeod's distribution has been poor and his choice of pass seems a bit suspect at times as well. Yes he is a 'bit better' than our other players - but that's not exactly something to write home about.

Considering the standard of player he is coming up against week in week out and the fact that he is not necessarily a dominant player in many games, I'm just not convinced the lad has the attributes to make it big in the game.

Good player ? well, yes. Go on to much bigger and better things ? I don't see it in all honesty. Another Stephen Hughes in the making IMO.

Regards the career of Lewis McLeod.

He is a player (Strachan would seem to see it aswell) and looks like another fine midfielder to come through at Ibrox.

Durrant, Ferguson (x2), Miller, Ness etc. have all came through and for various reasons haven't reached their full potential. You could argue Barry did, but I think he could have been even better.

If McLeod wants to make the most out of his career then he has to keep developing and improving. The sad truth is that it won't be at Ibrox because we are a shambles of a football club. He needs to keep on playing first team football though and this should be a an important consideration for him when and if he thinks of a move. He also needs to go to a club that have good coaches and a record of improving players.

This brings up an unpalatable thought.

If we can't buy players, we don't have a particularly good youth development programme and we have to sell as soon as a player starts to demonstrate real ability then what other than mediocrity (at best) have we got in store ?......Second place and European Qualifier canonfodder is the realistic dream at present.