Chris Graham Twitter problem

Perhaps not an attack on Islam but apparently offensive to Muslims as per quote from stv website below:

President of Glasgow Central Mosque, Dr Asid Khan, called for Rangers to carry out an internal investigation and branded the tweet "reprehensible".

He said: "With freedom of speech comes great responsibility to not offend other people. In this case, such a tweet is very offensive to a large proportion of the population, not only Muslims.

Its very hard, in fact near impossible to speak about any religion without offending its participants. What a crass statement, what he actually means is do not say anything against Islam.

the day all these muslim leaders unequivocally condemn all atrocities against humanity in any form in the name of Islam then I will respect their wishes. as this is unlikely they can fucking do one...

Here's a link. Worth a look. If the link doesn't work for you I'll try and find a printed article. This is not the first fatwa I have seen here.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/ID/2658308894/

Its very hard, in fact near impossible to speak about any religion without offending its participants. What a crass statement, what he actually means is do not say anything against Islam.

I think it is possible to talk about religion without offending its participants and I have had conversations with Muslims on many occasions about their religion and as far as I am aware they have not been offended but I will check this out with them. The statement by Dr Asif specifically referred to the particular tweet and therefore I am unsure how you arrive at your final conclusion.

As I replied to Andy, I understand your position and I'm glad we have some reasonable criticism of what's happened. However, I'd like to quote a post from a muslim bear on FF:

OK, he's a bear and that may impinge his judgement but I enjoyed the honesty of the post and I think we should be standing by our own under clear attack from a media who will do anything to go for us while ignoring others.

Today it's Chris these hypocrites are attacking. Tomorrow it will be all of us.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Chris Graham is being criticised because he now has a high profile position and as far as the media are concerned that makes him public property and fair game. I'm not condoning that I'm just telling it like it is. He wasn't criticised at the time because it wasn't 'newsworthy'. Rest assured had you been given the director position your Twitter feed and posts would have received heavy scrutiny.

This is only 'news' because of his position. The issue isn't what he tweeted on it's own it's that combined with his new role. Had he remained a vocal supporter alone this would never had made the light of day.

We need to be careful not to conflate two issues. Defending the cartoon and the retweeting of it directly to a muslim cleric and defending Chris Graham. Graham has made enemies in the media, that's the reality, he might be able to ride this one out but they'll come for him again if he sneezes the wrong way. I don't accept that that tomorrow it'll be all of us, most of us have never made any enemies in the media.

I don't accept that that tomorrow it'll be all of us, most of us have never made any enemies in the media.

That may be true, but I thought Frankie was alluding to Rangers' culture. The club, the supporters, the fact that it is seen to have a Protestant heritage are all in the sights of the media.

Surely you would agree that to destroy a culture, you must first attack and wound its Institutions? How else would you describe the media's actions over the last few years?

From the Scotsman

17:59Thursday 12 March 2015

POLICE Scotland have now launched an investigation into an offensive tweet that newly appointed Rangers director Chris Graham sent to an Islamist preacher.

Graham, appointed as a non-executive director on Tuesday, apparently sent the tweet to Anjem Choudary on the day of the Charlie Hebdo attack.

It is alleged that on 7 January, shortly after two gunmen had shot dead 12 people at the offices of the French satirical magazine in Paris, the radical preacher sent a message on Twitter.

It read “freedom of expression does not extend to insulting the prophets of Allah, whatever your views on the events in Paris today!”

Mr Graham is understood to have replied by sending a cartoon depicting the prophet Mohammed engaged in a sexual act with a message reading: “You probably won’t like this one...then”

His Twitter account is now restricted from public view.

Mr Graham, 38, is known among fans for representing the Rangers Supporters Trust and running the Rangers Standard website.

17:59Thursday 12 March 2015

POLICE Scotland have now launched an investigation into an offensive tweet that newly appointed Rangers director Chris Graham sent to an Islamist preacher.

That's just completely ridiculous. The world has gone insane.