Chris Graham Twitter problem

John, the two points I have highlighted are surprisingly weak, coming from you.

First of all, when he made that tweet he was not, nor would he conceivably be, a director of Rangers. His position at Rangers is to represent fans' viewpoints; he is not tasked with expanding the Rangers brand in the Middle East and Asia.

His response to the rantings of an islamofascist was a legitimate response that can be justified, even if it may not be something that you or I agree with or would have done, It certainly does not call into question his judgement on fan issues or indeed anything else.

In my opinion, his retweet was no more Islamophobic than Hugh Dallas' email was anti-Catholic.

Allowing him to be branded and Islamophobe, and by implication racist when there is no suggestion that he is either, would not only be shameful it would be to shoot ourselves in the foot. Chris Graham, the public face of the intelligent, erudite, measured Rangers fan is 'exposed' as a bigot and a racist - so what does that make the rest of us?

The second point about someone drawing a cartoon about the Disaster is weaker than a Mohsni clearance. There can be no comparison between a heated clash of philosophies and ideas on social media in the aftermath of a massacre that shook the West like few others, and a disaster at a sporting event. Were someone ever to mock the deaths of those fans (oh, I don't know, say some an Aberdeen or Celtic fan for example) then the only possible reason for doing so is hatred of Rangers and naked bigotry. Chants about the 66 are not sung in an attempt to ensure higher standards of health and safety at sporting events.

Retweeting a highly offensive cartoon at someone who espouses violence to prevent freedom of expression is an intellectual and valid response to that dogmatism, whether you agree with it or not.

And there is of course the obvious difference in that anyone who mocks the deaths of innocents in an accident is no more than a sociopath; those of us who mock the cancerous, medieval, mumbo-jumbo that is religion are mocking an idea only.

I didn't accuse him of Islamaphobia nor do I think he is only that sending that tweet directly to a muslim cleric demonstrated a lack of judgement. That he wasn't a director of Rangers at the time isn't really the issue but it didn't happen 20 years ago. I'm assuming he doesn't know the imam in question, in which case he chose to send something he knew would be offensive to someone he dislikes and with who he disagrees even though he's never met them. I'm sorry but how can that be viewed as anything other than inflammatory and aggressive? I was as horrified by those killings as Chris Graham but somehow I managed not to send offensive pictures to imams I've never met.

I don't feel it is a weak point, it's fairly well known that drawings of Mohamad cause varying degrees of offence to muslims, in that one he's giving someone a hand-job. That's not satire or a making a clever social point, that's just done purely to offend. How anyone can see that as anything but a lack of good judgement I don't know.

I'm not drawing any parallels between that cartoon tweet and someone making fun of the Ibrox disaster, simply making the point that claiming freedom of expression needs more thought. Aberdeen fans sing about it because they know it causes offence and outrage, exactly the same emotions that cartoon is intended to stir in an awful lot of people.

That may be true, but I thought Frankie was alluding to Rangers' culture. The club, the supporters, the fact that it is seen to have a Protestant heritage are all in the sights of the media.

Surely you would agree that to destroy a culture, you must first attack and wound its Institutions? How else would you describe the media's actions over the last few years?

He may have been and I might have misunderstood him.

Chris Graham is going to feel heat from the media because he's made a number of enemies there in recent years. I don't see it as part of anything more than that. Paul Murray gets a fairly easy ride from the media because he's cultivated a number of friendships over the years. It's not rocket science.

appeal will overturn this..............it's way out of proportion

but he'll spend a few days inside waiting

Totally disproportionate....sending young people to prison for this is scandalous. I would like to see the law changed that a person must first be warned and if they continue then the Police can charge/caution/arrest......the authorities are out of step as to why people are singing these songs...the vast majority are singing them for football reasons and not sectarian reasons.

From the Scotsman

17:59Thursday 12 March 2015

POLICE Scotland have now launched an investigation into an offensive tweet that newly appointed Rangers director Chris Graham sent to an Islamist preacher.

Graham, appointed as a non-executive director on Tuesday, apparently sent the tweet to Anjem Choudary on the day of the Charlie Hebdo attack.

It is alleged that on 7 January, shortly after two gunmen had shot dead 12 people at the offices of the French satirical magazine in Paris, the radical preacher sent a message on Twitter.

It read “freedom of expression does not extend to insulting the prophets of Allah, whatever your views on the events in Paris today!”

Mr Graham is understood to have replied by sending a cartoon depicting the prophet Mohammed engaged in a sexual act with a message reading: “You probably won’t like this one...then”

His Twitter account is now restricted from public view.

Mr Graham, 38, is known among fans for representing the Rangers Supporters Trust and running the Rangers Standard website.

If Police Scotland have so much resources at their disposal to investigate this maybe they will also investigate some of what has been written online about Rangers & it's support by the likes of McGillivan and Haggerty.