Chris Graham Twitter problem

equally, look at areas of Glasgow, edinburgh and Dundee where there are huge social problems related to the white 'christian' community. To deny that would be absurd.

The problems people face in those areas are problems of poverty and social mobility, not of religion.

If you are going to make sweeping statements such as "Musilm leaders not happy ?? what are they ever happy about when it comes to our country and our way of doing things ??!!" you really should have some evidence to back them up. Except you can't have, because there is none.

It would seem that your antipathy towards 'Muslims' is based on biased, loaded reporting by the MSM and not personal experience since we don't have problems with large amounts of Muslim immigrants in Scotland, nor is there a problem of integration here.

The increase in 'Muslim related news' over the past decade and a half is partly agenda-driven by the MSM (or do you think they only do it to Rangers?) and partly because we have been engaged in an illegal war in (Muslim) Iraq and an occupation in (Muslim) Afghanistan and have stood idly by whilst Israel has carried out two genocidal attacks on civilians (Muslim & Christian) Gaza and commits war crimes and illegal land theft every day in the (Muslim & Christian) West Bank.

No comment - as I would be banned from here.

Probably best to agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by MoodyBlue

Well this thread has went way way off course!

It would seem events like the appointment of our new (interim) manager and the fantastic pictures and story of the celtic captain lying pished in the gutter days before a cup final have overtaken this (non) story anyway, as it should be.

I would imagine the phone-ins will be full of the Sun's sensational story about a professional football and captain of the current (tainted) champions unprofessionalism and calling for him to be sacked, dropped, fined, banned etc. That he "should" be dropped from the upcoming Scotland squad is a certainty, that he wont be is equally certain.

Although there seems to be quite a division of opinion on this issue I hope we might agree that it would be useful if Chris Graham learned from this experience of the need to be careful about what he says either in interviews or on the net because now that he is a director his views will be taken, especially by critics of Rangers, as the views of the club.

It's a fact that I don't like Mr Graham so I appreciate you taking time to restate your viewpoint.

I understand why you say his re-tweet was "allowable offensiveness" but I disagree for one particular reason. I don't think that Mr Graham is a stupid person and therefore I'm going to credit him with the intelligence to know that even if the message was solely directed at Mr Choudray, it would be read, disseminated and understood for what it was by the wider community and not just Muslims I might add.

I don't know whether the message was sent before or after he was co-opted on to the Board of the RST and became their spokesperson but I think I am right in saying that he has been writing (for) the Rangers Standard for some time and has been regarded in the written and broadcast media as some kind of fan's leader or spokesperson as part of the UoF or whatever. Whether he thrust himself into that role or it was thrust upon him, I don't know and care less, but there is no question that he was and until the last two days at least, high profile.

Such a person, as I know well, has to be very careful what they say and do in public and these days that extends to so called social media.

I stand by my view therefore that it was a silly, childish, ill-considered and deliberately offensive (we agree on that at least) thing to do. I am quite sure he could have made the point to Mr Choudray without using that particular cartoon. I see we also agree that it may not have been the wisest thing to do.

I don't think that a fan's representative should be behaving in that way, because even if your view is correct, which I don't concede; it is clearly controversial and divisive at a time when that is the last thing we need. Yes it was made in the past but the not too distant past and quite why he didn't just apologise and be done with it is beyond me.

No doubt we'll hear more in early course.

Your argument would seem to be that this was not "allowable offensiveness" because his tweet could offend people - in which case, no offense is ever allowed and you find yourself on the same side as Choudary.

It would further seem that you fail to appreciate the difference between deliberately offending people and people being offended by an attack on their belief system. There is a world of difference between hurling homophobic, sexist, racist or sectarian abuse at someone as an expression of one's own bigotry and intellectual deficiency, and of attacking a set of ideas and a philosophy.

The other points I would pick you up on are, first your assumption that I would think his retweeting "may not have been the wisest thing to do" - your words, not mine - and second, your chronology; his actions took place two months ago and the fact that they have been resurrected now "at a time when that is the last thing we need" is not the doing of CG and not something for which he can be held responsible.

As to why he hasn't apologised yet, I can sympathise with a view that he has nothing to apologise for, if that's the view he takes. Equally, if he were to express regret for any unintended offense caused, that would be fine, too.

RAB they'll continually seek to beat us anyway , if not for this then something else . CG delivered a slap in the face to an intolerant islamo-fascist bully - more power to him I say .

He didn't deliver a slap in the face to anyone. He offended Islam in general which is completely different. That includes Muslims who want nothing to do with Chaudry or whatever he is called.

29 pages of utter drivel over a nothing story , there were millions of tweets and retweets of equally simillar stuff in the days after the Paris attack yet this one retweet is getting so much space and time , get a fucking life , and I hope that offends some of you more genteel people

He didn't deliver a slap in the face to anyone. He offended Islam in general which is completely different. That includes Muslims who want nothing to do with Chaudry or whatever he is called.

It seems strange to see you as a defender of all things Islamic all of a sudden Rab. It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that it was Chris Graham who was involved, would it?

I think the most shocking thing about this whole episode was not the 'offensive' tweet, but the fact that there are those amongst us who would turn on one of our own and throw him under the bus for reasons of personal vendetta or dislike, rather than standing behind him in the face of a mhedia attack.