Chris Graham Twitter problem

Rangers fan who offered to raise army of free workers to spruce up Ibrox embroiled in racism row

14:57, 13 March 2015

By Mark McGivern

ALLAN Woods has become the latest prominent fan to get embroiled in an ugly controversy over comments on his Facebook profile which called for the “ethnic cleansing” of Muslims.

Deadline

Rangers fans Allan Woods is at the centre of a racism storm

A RANGERS fan who offered to raise an army of free workers to spruce up Ibrox for free is at the centre of a racism storm.

Allan Woods, 62, was hailed a hero earlier this week after being instrumental in mobilising more than 50 tradesmen to do repairs at the neglected stadium for free.

But Woods became the latest prominent fan to get embroiled in an ugly controversy over comments on social media after posts on his Facebook profile called for the “ethnic cleansing” of Muslims.

Woods joined Chris Graham, the newly appointed fans’ representative on the Rangers board, in a racism storm. Graham is alleged to have sent an obscene image depicting the prophet Mohammed in a homosexual act on the day of the Charlie Hebdo murders.

One post on Glaswegian Woods’ Facebook, from October last year, warned: “Civil War is coming. Everyone I know has had enough of Muslims and ethnic cleansing is fast becoming the only solution.”

Kris Boyd, Nicky Law and Nicky Clark look dejected after Queen of the South's late equaliser VIEW GALLERY

On January 12 this year, a post read: “The whole Islamic ideology is based around repression of women, rape, paedophilia, and sex slaves. Islam MUST be outlawed and those involved in crimes against women exterminated.”

Last October another post read: “Jail the paedophile Muzzie scum who treat females like bits of meat.”

Another post directed to terror group ISIL read: “Welcome to Facebook, supporters of ISIL and worldwide terrorism. Get your money out and give it to your Local Mullah. Or better still buy a gun and start exterminating sand monkeys. “

The ranting posts contrasted starkly with the caring, sharing Woods who offered to renovate Ibrox for free.

Personally spearheading the recruitment drive, he said: “I’m looking to collate a list of volunteers willing to give up a few hours or days to help with essential work at Ibrox and Murray Park.

“This is our chance to show Rangers fans simply are the best by helping our club in its hour of need.”

Woods had been praised earlier in the week but his name was mud on Twitter.

Stoosh @Dougsy Tweeted: “An advocate for ethnic cleansing of muslims shouldn’t be anywhere near organising/working with or for RFC Allan.”

After the posts began to be Tweeted, Woods deleted his Facebook profile and claimed on Twitter that someone had used photoshop to falsify posts on his timeline.

He later came back online with a fresh Facebook profile, with no blemish of anti-Muslim comments.

The Record contacted Woods via Twitter to ask for contact us for clarification, he Tweeted: “Yes and I am an astronaut with NASA.”

He later phoned the Record to deny that the offensive Facebook postings were his own.

Woods, who claims to answer phones for the Rangers Pride fans’ group, said they were made on a previous Facebook account he had used, which was subsequently hacked by an unknown person.

He said: “I have Muslim friends and workmates. I don’t know who hacked my account.”

Police Scotland said they were unaware of any official complaints about Woods.

Rangers haven’t commented.

They are already eyeing up the next victim.:frown:

I certainly don't feel like celebrating and don't think of myself as being on any lunatic fringe. I'm not surprised he's resigned, if a professional PR company was consulted I'd be astonished if they'd have suggested anything else.

I've no insight into his reasoning, but until you've actual been in the centre of a media storm you shouldn't judge those involved. Most of us have absolutely no idea what it's like to suddenly become public property and have every aspect of our lives scrutinised, none at all. What pressure that puts on an individual, his family and friends is considerable. This wasn't going away and it wasn't going to blow over, he's done the right thing for himself, his family and his sanity in my opinion.

Wanted, new rep for Rangers board, the applicant must be thick skinned, have a brass neck and an iron backbone. Rangers supporter preferable but not essential as on the job training will be given. Must have a impeccable character on social media, a spotless and irreproachable internet history. A candidate with a background as a Trappist Monk or Hermit would be ideal.

Edited by aweebluesoandso

I also think that if Chris wanted to survive he needed to issue an apologetic statement as soon possible after news of the tweet surfaced in an attempt to pre-empt criticism.

I agree with that 100% and indeed I said earlier that I thought an apology would get him off the hook.

Absent an apology, for whatever reason, his position was untenable and he had to go for the good of the Club.

It was clearly a witch-hunt and blown very much out of proportion by Celtic fans, Rangers haters in the media and anti-RST elements within our own support who were against Chris's appointment to the Rangers board because of their personal dislike of him.

That said, the new board were probably left with no choice other than to ask for his resignation because they have a lot of very important and hard work ahead of them and the last thing they need is to be distracted by a scandal or risk their new board's reputation at such an early stage of their tenures.

It may even have been a purely business decision based on the new board's perception amongst shareholders and in the city where they could be looking for investment.

I feel sorry for Chris, but that's it over and done with now, so it's time to move on.