New management team: Mark Warburton and David Weir

He has a 52.6% win rate. A 19.2% draw rate and a 28.2 lose rate. He has been a full trainer for 1.55 years at Brentford. Sorry but I had hoped for more from a Rangers manager.

you slated me for brining up vuckic 25 percent win rate.

Still rather have people in there with tried and tested European experience. It is a long term appointment after all. Arthur Numan in a partnership with Ronald De Boer for example would please me far more than Warburton.

Neither Numan or De Boer have managed themselves. Numan only The Dutch B side who Im sure are impressive. Id love both as coaches but it probably isn't the right time.

Im in total agreement with rbr. The Warburton appointment is one out the box and I think he will keep his feet firmly on the ground, he wont be overwhelmed nor under whelmed. He will be a proper step up to the last few years. If appointed its a breath of fresh air rather than a McCall, Butcher, Davies type.

We were never going to attract high profile high paid managers, going down south and cherry picking the promising managers was our best route IMO. Im sure we will be able to attract a better standard of player from down there also. And I said last week, Rangers can also be the making of Warburton, the infrastructure of the club is a different level to Brentford, if he can take us back to Europe then he may get attract interest down the road.

Edited by Gribz

"if he can take us back to Europe then he may get attract interest down the road. '

You could say that about anyone who is appointed. Until someone is appointed and we get some players with quality - everything is pure speculation.

you slated me for brining up vuckic 25 percent win rate.

Different! Vuckic was one of 11 players but a manager is the one person that picks the team. I do however agree statistics can be translated in many ways. If it is Warburton he will have my support but he doesn't excite me at this moment.

Neither Numan or De Boer have managed themselves. Numan only The Dutch B side who Im sure are impressive. Id love both as coaches but it probably isn't the right time.

Im in total agreement with rbr. The Warburton appointment is one out the box and I think he will keep his feet firmly on the ground, he wont be overwhelmed nor under whelmed. He will be a proper step up to the last few years. If appointed its a breath of fresh air rather than a McCall, Butcher, Davies type.

We were never going to attract high profile high paid managers, going down south and cherry picking the promising managers was our best route IMO. Im sure we will be able to attract a better standard of player from down there also. And I said last week, Rangers can also be the making of Warburton, the infrastructure of the club is a different level to Brentford, if he can take us back to Europe then he may get attract interest down the road.

Confucius Say...

Man who keep feet firmly on ground have trouble putting on pants.:D

King identifies six Rangers managerial targets, including McCall, McInnes and Davies

Dave King is reportedly set to open talks with a host of managers over taking the job at Rangers.

According to The Sun, Rangers have established a shortlist of six managerial candidates as they close in on naming a new boss, with former manager Walter Smith helping chairman Dave King decide.

Last week's 3-0 Scottish Premiership play-off final second leg defeat to Motherwell means current manager Stuart McCall could leave the club, given that he was only given a contract until the end of the season when he arrived in March.

However, The Sun believe McCall is still in the running for the job, with chairman King flying into Glasgow to begin talks with managers over the position, with a shortlist of six candidates - here is each candidate, starting with the current incumbent.

Stuart McCall: The former Rangers midfielder returned to Ibrox and guided the team to the play-off final in tricky circumstances, but the new board at Ibrox may want a more ambitious appointment as they look for promotion next season.

Mark Warburton: Recently left Brentford despite winning promotion to the Championship in 2014 and then guiding the Bees to the Championship play-offs in 2015. Currently the bookmakers' favourite after a superb spell with Brentford, the 52-year-old could bring former Rangers captain David Weir back to Ibrox with him as his assistant manager.

Ian Cathro: The Scottish coach is just 28 years of age, but has a growing reputation in European football. Currently assisting Nuno at Valencia, Cathro would be something of a surprise appointment considering his age, but Rangers could harness his potential as a manager.

Vitor Pereira: Recently held talks with Rangers according to The Times, but is still contracted by Olympiacos having just won the title with the Greek side. The 46-year-old was Andre Villas-Boas' assistant manager at Porto before replacing 'AVB' as first team boss. Would be another ambitious target considering his achievements in Europe.

Derek McInnes: Another former Rangers player, McInnes worked wonders with Aberdeen this past season, taking the Dons to second place in the Scottish Premiership and pushing Celtic all the way in the title race. Dropping down a division would be a shock, but you never know given the size of Rangers.

Billy Davies: The third ex-Rangers player on the list, Davies has been out of work since leaving Nottingham Forest in March 2014. A boyhood Rangers fan who would no doubt relish the challenge, Davies could be a real dark horse for the job.

This would seem to go more with Murray's statement that they will be doing interviews this week.

Rangers poised to unveil new manager this week as odds shorten on Mark Warburton taking charge

Matthew Lindsay

Chief Football Writer

Sunday 7 June 2015

PAUL Murray, the Rangers director, has revealed the Ibrox club hope to appoint a new manager later this week as bookmakers suspended betting on Mark Warburton, the former Brentford coach, taking charge.

With chairman and major shareholder Dave King based in South Africa, Murray and his fellow director John Gilligan have been heading up the search for a new manager in recent weeks.

Warburton, who lead Brentford into the English Championship play-offs this season before being replaced, is now the overriding favourite to land the position.

He would take Davie Weir, the former Rangers centre half and captain who worked alongside him at Griffin Park during the 2014/15 campaign, back to Ibrox as his assistant.

McBookie.com made the 52-year-old Englishman 1-5 to take over yesterday after a flurry of bets on him over the weekend. PaddyPower, meanwhile, suspended betting on him.

King, who was cleared to take up a place on theRangers board after being passed as "fit and proper" by the SFA last month, has arrived back in the UK fuelling speculation he has returned to speak to the new manager.

Speaking at the North American Rangers Supporters Association annual convention in California, Murray suggested an announcement could be made on Friday. He said: "Our plan is to make an appointment next week."

Stuart McCall, who succeeded temporary manager Kenny McDowall on an interim basis in March, is thought to have damaged his chances of being appointed full-time.

McCall managed to get Rangers into the SPFL Premiership play-offs, but, after wins over Queen of the South and Hibs in the quarter-final and semi-final respectively, his side was thrashed 6-1 over two legs by Motherwell in the final.

Vitor Periera, the Portuguese coach who lead Olympiacos to the Greek title this season, had held talks with Rangers, but their failure to win promotion to the top flight is believed to have ended his interest in moving to Scotland.

Elsewhere, Ian Cathro, the one-time Dundee United youth coach with is assistant manager at Valencia, Derek McInnes, the ex-Rangers midfielder who is currently in charge of Aberdeen and Alex McLeish, the former Rangers manager, are also being touted for the post.

However, Warburton, the former city trader who made millions in finance before becoming a coach and founding the NextGen Series along with a business associate, is now the red-hot favourite to become just the 15th manager of the club.

He has spoken fondly of Rangers since being linked with the job and has admitted his ambition would be to take them into the top flight and challenge Celtic for the Scottish title.

He said: "Any manager looks to add value to a project. If people are looking at a short-term, six to nine months, that's the wrong approach to take.

"Rangers and Celtic are the two big teams, known globally. Whoever goes into that job, it must be to compete with Celtic and push on from there.

"I'd be doing myself and Davie Weir a disservice if I said we didn't have the attributes. You must have confidence and self-belief in what you can do.

"I'm very respectful of the fact that Rangers are undoubtedly looking at a number of candidates.

"Whoever the candidate is, he must appreciate the size of the club, the history and where they have to be. It's about making significant progress."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/rangers-poised-to-unveil-new-manager-this-week-as-odds-shorten-on-mark-warburton-taki.128271877

Edited by pete