Give the Man a BLOODY Chance!

It's easy to underestimate the effect of most of the squad knowing they were not going to be offered a new contract. The game is won on small percentages. McCall never had a squad 100% on board. Moping and self interest was affecting them, causing tiny margins in favour of the opposition.

IMO McCall is a good fit for what you are trying to achieve, but you may find better.

He wasn't good enough for Bradford and Motherwell and he's proven he's not good enough for us either.

It's easy to underestimate the effect of most of the squad knowing they were not going to be offered a new contract.

This is very true and exactly what caused Hibs to be relegated last season. A squad full of players who were turning up in body, but not in mind because they knew their time was up at the Club.

He wasn't good enough for Bradford and Motherwell and he's proven he's not good enough for us either.

He exceeded expectations at Motherwell but there's only so long you can sell your best players and replacing them with inferior ones. Bradford were also a basket place and he effectively had a to build a new team every summer there.

That said, he's clearly not an appointment that's going to get bums on seats or mark a radical new approach.

I think McCall could bring an element of success to the club, but I don't think he can bring the level that the fans expect.

He has done a decent job over the last few months & there has been a shift in attitude & performance from the players - just not quite enough.

We want/need to get back to a level where clubs are feart of playing us due to our skill/speed/fitness/dedication etc. Clubs should be scared of playing @ Ibrox. I don't think McCall is the man to ultimately deliver those ends.

I'm in favour in giving McCall a chance in bringing in HIS players as long as the board of Directors are behind him which they must be.

Stuart McCall should be allowed to carry on as boss in my mind.

You can throw up stats of 'his record' all you can, I say give him the chance to prove himself under different circumstances rather than what he had to do with players who weren't even fit to wear the jersey in the first place. He must have noticed how far we have fallen since his time away.

McCall knows what's required to be a Ranger, he surely walked through the doors and thought "Whit the FU*K are this lot doing here?" (Without actually saying it to them).

I would rather stick with the man than throw ill to the wind and end up back somewhere we've already been.

Would you be in favour of giving McCall the chance of a lifetime? I would.

McCoist knows what it's like to be a Ranger too, but you wouldn't say he is a good manager.

We need root and branch change. Which, to me, means a completely different mindset and philosophy.

McCall knew what he was getting himself into and knew that the only way he would stand a chance (with the fans at least) of staying on was by securing promotion. Yes, he inherited a pile of dross thanks to McCoist, but the one question we must ask ourselves is "Did he improve them as players and performances in his short time here" - I think the answer, for the most part is "only marginally". That simply isn't good enough for us with where we are. If you had a Laudrup or Gascoigne and they improved marginally you would be ecstatic given how good they were.... but with Ian Black or Lee McCulloch or Nicky Clark.... it isn't marginal improvement that is needed, it is drastic improvement.

I do understand where you are coming from though as these weren't his players. But that doesn't mean we "just give him a chance". We don't have the time to just give someone a chance.

The other issue is that our Club needs more than just change of players - the whole infrastructure needs changed - scouting, recruitment, youth development, sports science, tactics, playing philosophy - McCall has never had to go through that before. If only Sir Alex would become a consultant in terms of the infrastructure I would snap his hand off. He may be old school but he (and no doubt ably assisted by good people) completely revamped Utd's whole infrastructure at a time when they were a languishing entity - eerily similar to us in that they were nothing more than a mediocre 1st division side back then.

We need someone that can be an integral part of revamping the whole set up. I don't think McCall is that man.

If only Sir Alex would become a consultant in terms of the infrastructure I would snap his hand off. He may be old school but he (and no doubt ably assisted by good people) completely revamped Utd's whole infrastructure at a time when they were a languishing entity - eerily similar to us in that they were nothing more than a mediocre 1st division side back then.

A younger Sir Alex coming in even only on a part-time consultancy basis like you suggest could be a real game changer for us, but unfortunately I think he's too old now even if he fancied it. He started loosing some of his marbles a few years ago. Doesn't mean he wouldn't still have something to offer, but I'm sure he's enjoying his retirement and focusing more on horse breeding and racing.

A younger Sir Alex coming in even only on a part-time consultancy basis like you suggest could be a real game changer for us, but unfortunately I think he's too old now even if he fancied it. He started loosing some of his marbles a few years ago. Doesn't mean he wouldn't still have something to offer, but I'm sure he's enjoying his retirement and focusing more on horse breeding and racing.

Oh I dont expect it for a second Zappa, what I really was getting at was someone who effectively inherited a poor infrastructure (Utd had the fan base but had been mediocre for years) and realized that you needed not just a good 1st team but youth set up too (will refrain from saying Academy as back then there weren't really any academies per se), scouting infrastructure and also youth development in general.

It is interesting that Utd have a somewhat unique philosophy within their youth ranks still. Unless they have recently changed things they wouldn't allow their youths to play youth teams from other clubs until they hit U15 (I think it was U15). The reason was very simple for Man U..... by not allowing them to compete with other teams till that age they (Man U) could have the kids focus solely on their development in the "Man Utd philosophy of football" - they weren't being pressured to win at all costs, until U15 it was all about understanding how to play the way Utd play throughout the Club. I like that philosophy, though do understand kids also want to be competitive.

Again, point being, doesn't need to be Sir Alex, but needs to be someone that knows how to create the proper infrastructure.

He exceeded expectations at Motherwell but there's only so long you can sell your best players and replacing them with inferior ones. Bradford were also a basket place and he effectively had a to build a new team every summer there.

That said, he's clearly not an appointment that's going to get bums on seats or mark a radical new approach.

What has he achieved in management that makes him worthy of even getting a second glance? Who were these best players that left last summer by the way?

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy