Rangers and the loan market: Embrace it

The loan players have improved the squad because clearly the manager thinks they're better than the players we already have out our disposal - including our own young players.

Should we be playing guys such as Dykes before Arsenal prospects? Yes, there is an argument for that but there's also an argument for saying if our lad isn't quite good enough you'll harm his development rather than improve him.

Quite clearly Zelalem is a superb midfield player with a big future ahead of him. Oduwa is also talented but, like Zelalam, rough around the edges. If we had lads as good as them, then they'd be playing. We don't so, like every single club, we have to maximise the quality of the squad by supplementing it. Given our slender budget nowadays, it makes sense to exploit this market as although every deal may be a short term one, every deal can be worthwhile on a player-by-player basis given the manager seems to be adept at helping new players fit into the squad. Not to mention, loan deals can be made permanent now and again.

I doubt we'll see Zelalam sign permanently and his deal may end next summer but I'm sure Warburton has already identified his replacement in any case. And with another year's development - perhaps including the odd first team game or even a loan deal also - it may well be Dylan Dykes or Andy Murdoch that make the step up.

I don't think all this is rocket science. You just analyse your squad's abilities and maximise the quality by whatever means at your disposal.

The loan players have improved the squad because clearly the manager thinks they're better than the players we already have out our disposal - including our own young players.

Should we be playing guys such as Dykes before Arsenal prospects? Yes, there is an argument for that but there's also an argument for saying if our lad isn't quite good enough you'll harm his development rather than improve him.

Quite clearly Zelalem is a superb midfield player with a big future ahead of him. Oduwa is also talented but, like Zelalam, rough around the edges. If we had lads as good as them, then they'd be playing. We don't so, like every single club, we have to maximise the quality of the squad by supplementing it. Given our slender budget nowadays, it makes sense to exploit this market as although every deal may be a short term one, every deal can be worthwhile on a player-by-player basis given the manager seems to be adept at helping new players fit into the squad. Not to mention, loan deals can be made permanent now and again.

I doubt we'll see Zelalam sign permanently and his deal may end next summer but I'm sure Warburton has already identified his replacement in any case. And with another year's development - perhaps including the odd first team game or even a loan deal also - it may well be Dylan Dykes or Andy Murdoch that make the step up.

I don't think all this is rocket science. You just analyse your squad's abilities and maximise the quality by whatever means at your disposal.

Zelalam's deal ends in January if it is not extended.

Or a different way to look at it.... Warburton came in, saw what he had at his disposal, bought players cheaply that he felt were critical positions to fill - and then, with the window almost closed knew he needed a Zelalem type of player - so get him in on loan where you have no need to worry about a transfer fee and just pay his wages..... little risk with fairly good short-term upside.

The other advantage to this is that Warburton also knows that at the end of the current two things are likely to happen :

1. Zelalem will return to Arsenal

2. We will likely be back in the top league.

Warburton thus has :

1. A full year to scour the market for a similar type of player

2. A full year to assess the players in his own squad properly and determine if any are capable of carrying out that same role, whilst already being on the books and therefore saving a transfer fee and wage

3. Probably will have more money available for transfers once we hit the top league again

4. Will have an increased pool of interested players - there can surely be no doubt that it will be far easier to convince players to come when we are in the top league.

I don't mind the odd loan signing - a team full of them is destructive but a couple is not the end of the world.

I agree with that. However, is it realistic to expect a permanent replacement for Zelalem on our budget? For me, it's a little deflating to think that a linchpin-type player is not here for the long-term. I don't mind loan signings if they're squad players or something different to complement the team (Ball I am OK with because we can get another utility player quite easily IMO), but it's feels a little deflating to bring in a loan signing to be the main linchpin. Ah, I'm just being picky. I don't mind loan signings, but I'd prefer permanent ones. (And, to be fair, at our level we are not going to be able to keep a quality player for any length of time anyway.)

Of course. But at our long term expense
do you not think Barry McKay has raised his game through competition for places and has seen what response you get from the fans when you entertain?

For me the likes of odowua and zalalem have opened his eyes and lowered his ego, giving us a better player.

The great thing about this situation is it's only the beginning, the young boys we've got at the club have had chance after chance to shine Aird on the wing and Crawford in the midfield against zelalem and oduwa is a no Brainer. Theres a video going about how many times zelamen touched the ball v rauth rovers and set up chance after chance, could any of our reserves or law been as much influenial?Warbs will bring a player in to cover those two positions when they go back. As I Said, it's only the beginning.

do you not think Barry McKay has raised his game through competition for places and has seen what response you get from the fans when you entertain?

For me the likes of odowua and zalalem have opened his eyes and lowered his ego, giving us a better player.

No he was doing it before you had ever heard of them.

And dylan dykes misses out.

More than likely because he isn't good enough. If he is good enough then Warburton would play him. Or.... he can see it as his challenge to improve himself to the desired standard.

This is professional football, not baby-sitting.