Should I buy official merchandise?

Suggestions the deal has a 7 year notice period but no acknowledgement of whether any notice has been served.

When the news broke of the 7 year deal, I was surprised that the new board didn't immediately serve the notice to commence the progression towards the end of the deal. I then figured this tact was used in the hope a better deal could be struck with Ashley that would help the club more.

Given the recent developments, I wonder if the board will reconsider its position. If notice is served, then any sort of negotiation will go out the window immediately.

When the news broke of the 7 year deal, I was surprised that the new board didn't immediately serve the notice to commence the progression towards the end of the deal. I then figured this tact was used in the hope a better deal could be struck with Ashley that would help the club more.

Given the recent developments, I wonder if the board will reconsider its position. If notice is served, then any sort of negotiation will go out the window immediately.

There are a few different takes on it for me...

If we serve notice on the deal then:

a) it suggests the deal is valid; and/or

b) like you say it removes the chance of any renegotiation (however small this is); and/or

c) may stop us from reversing any contracts if the ongoing legal cases with previous directors result in a favourable outcome for the club.

I think it makes some tactical sense to maintain the status quo for now but it's difficult to guess what's happening with the information vacuum.

I wouldn't. Our merchandise is pretty dreadful anyway, cheap stuff with very little thought put into it. Our jerseys have nosedived since we got rid of Nike. I remember the 2003 shirt in particular fell to bits after one wash.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Rangers/Rangers.htm

Edited by Ser Barristan Selmy

I think there are several issues here.

Firstly if the kids don't have a bike then it's a no brainer to me as a bike is one of those essential things I think a kid should have - it's giving them a life skill as well as something fun. For me it ranks up there with a musical instrument and swimming lessons. You might just be giving them the gift of a longer and healthier life. If they don't have a Rangers top, then for playing sport or just playing, any t-shirt will suffice, so it's not really a necessary purchase in the same way.

Then there's the issue of a child just wanting one. There's a lot of spoiled kids these days who always get what they want and there is a lesson there, as long as the reasons are properly explained, you should be easily able to convince a kid to make do with a reasonable alternative - especially the RST ones. You're teaching the kid a bit about social responsibility and taking care of stuff that means something to you.

I remember as a kid, Rangers tops were incredibly expensive and I remember making do with a Chelsea top that looked very similar at a fraction of the price - the pin stripe one. I think I learned something for that, and I'm always saving money by not always just going for the obvious, and often finding good alternatives to stuff. And you also learn sometimes, to realise you can't always get what you want, and to just make the most of what you can get.

Then there's another issue of whether you should allow a kid to choose their own team. Buying a young kid the top for your own team can passive aggressively restrict their freedom of choice. Fine if they've already chosen, but I don't think it's right before then. I'm never impressed with people who say they support Rangers because their father did and their grandfather before that. It means with different parents they would have supported a different club. I think it's better to choose independently.

I think these days there a loads of ways to get round buying Rangers merchandise - you can get T-shirts, mugs and loads of other things printed to your own design pretty easily and cheaply - and you could have a lot of fun with a kid doing that with your own photos and a bit of photoshopping. If you want a poster, take a decent camera with a long lens and a large memory card, go to a game and take a load of photos, choose the best and get a large printout done.

If the money is not going to Rangers, and is harming the future income of the club, then why do it? If you feel Rangers are losing out, use the spare money to go to more games (and if you have season tickets then you've already done enough).

So short answer - get the bikes... :)

It's the first year I've never wore the new top but it's down to the individual, in my area it's all jungle tops running about Ashley is going to get rich no matter if we buy or not. seven years is far too long for a kid to wait to get their hero's tops if my boys were young again id be buying them their tops but that's just me. The jungles are just luvn not seeing our tops everywhere they go..

Each to their own but that fat f**k will not be getting a single bean out of me. I may be over-optimistic but have feint hopes that the whole thing will become too much hassle for him. I fear not--I suspect this is personal and it's what he does to compensate for his mummy issues--but what's the alternative? Wait until he gorges on one cream cake too many and karks it?