Neil Doncaster has floated the idea of enlarging the top flight to 14 teams

As is your prerogative.

However, from my own perspective I would much rather we were promoted on sporting merits on the field of play. Not some half-arsed concocted idea which prevents one of the SPFL Board members' club from being relegated.

If we were to fail to get promoted on sporting merits and finished the season as the "14th" team and got promoted due to reconstruction..... our promotion on such grounds would be embarrassing. Not only that but we would become unintended beneficiaries - this suggestion has nothing to do with "innovation" as Doncaster tries to suggest, but is all about the protection of Dundee Utd. Anyone thinking otherwise is blinded IMHO.

If we fail to go up due to results then we simply don't deserve to be there.

Regardless, as gunslinger says, the integrity of the competition should always be paramount. Shoe-horning through a change in format which favors one team in particular lessens the credibility of the competition and those who are responsible for it.

I could support the format changes (despite the convoluted split of 6-4-4..... Uggghhhh) - but only if it came into effect for the 2017/18 season - it shouldn't be rushed through in what would look like a clear attempt to stave off the relegation of a member club.

Regardless of what happens between now & the end of the season regards promotion, if Rangers get asked to play in the top division the Rangers board will accept. There really is nothing to debate here

Regardless of what happens between now & the end of the season regards promotion, if Rangers get asked to play in the top division the Rangers board will accept. There really is nothing to debate here

The debate is about extending the league to keep Dundee Hivs up not whether the Rangers board would accept it.

That doesn't make it the right decision.

Rangers accepting it is not the debate here, that is a red herring.

What IS being debated is whether it is the RIGHT thing to do. I personally would be disappointed if Rangers accepted such a proposal IF it was being implemented for the 2016/17 season on the grounds that it is being rushed through, and there will be the perception (probably accurately) that it is an obvious attempt to reward one member club in particular.

As I said, agreeing to it with an implementation of 2017/18, allowing for proper consultation and consideration of the benefits and drawbacks, would make more sense to me.

It doesn't even look as if Doncaster has actually had proper thought about it - he simply has thrown out an example of where it is being implemented elsewhere.

Although I thought it would be against existing SPFL rules to implement a structure change so quick?,was it not the case that any league construction would take 2 seasons to happen?,''sporting integrity''.

If the league really must be restructured for some reason then it is only fair that people know what they are playing for before the start of each season. No change to the structure is so urgent that this can't be upheld.

On a related point, FF report that "Regan to discuss Refs strike,Rangers crisis & 5 way agreement on Radio Scotland at 18:30"

They are all coming out with statements and interviews all of a sudden............ This bhastard's part in the criminal attacks on us will rankle forever.

Edit: Apparently it is pre-recorded. I can't bring myself to listen to either the station or the creature.

Edited by SteveC

On a related point, FF report that "Regan to discuss Refs strike,Rangers crisis & 5 way agreement on Radio Scotland at 18:30"

They are all coming out with statements and interviews all of a sudden............ This bhastard's part in the criminal attacks on us will rankle forever.

You can be rest assured that he will get an easy ride and not pushed to answer anything!

If the league really must be restructured for some reason then it is only fair that people know what they are playing for before the start of each season. No change to the structure is so urgent that this can't be upheld.

Agreed.This was used as an argument when it was being talked about previously when it would have got us back into the top league earlier. But as I posted earlier nothing this cabal do will surprise me!.

In fact is it not a current rule that it can't happen that quick?,what about the teams that have battled all season to stay up?,all for nothing?

Edited by ian1964