Rangers could face punishment over sectarian chanting

Yes you're a liar.

Why you'd lie? No idea.

You can't back up one thing with anything.

You appear to be seriously deluded and quite dangerously so in my opinion.

Furthermore calling one of the most respected members of this site a liar when you cannot prove your own negative comment also is way out of order in my opinion.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Well do Police Scotland not police matches?,is it not their responsibility to police matches and decide who is to be arrested for sectarian chants?

Well, BH was - in post 117 - responding to LucyBlue's claim

Tis NOT banned by UEFA.

False info being given out.

Can I be clear....it's NOT banned.

... where he is and she is not correct. Police Scotland has to upheld the new bill with regard to "offensive and discriminatory behaviour" at football grounds (whatever it is called exactly). Up to this day, if I remember correctly, there has been no official list of banned songs being handed to anyone by the police et al, and it is very much up to the chief-of-the-day and the people on the spot to decide what is or what is not offensive. Which is a big problem. Same goes if not 3 or 6 people sing a sectarian or otherwise offensive song, but 200 or 35k. At that stage, the singing will become a second priority, public order the first.

EDIT: The song TBB is banned in any incarnation, tune and words. For Rangers supporters. According to the letter of 2006. That this is absolutely farcical and that other clubs can sing their own versions is another matter that has never been addressed by anyone of authority.

Edited by der Berliner

Not according to Police Scotland?

The poster was referring to the song being banned by UEFA not the Police.

In terms of Police action the context is everything, it is down to the officer on the day whether or not he deems the behaviour—

(i)is likely to incite public disorder, or

(ii)would be likely to incite public disorder.

For the purposes of subsection (1)(b)(ii), behaviour would be likely to incite public disorder if public disorder would be likely to occur but for the fact that—

(a)measures are in place to prevent public disorder, or

(b)persons likely to be incited to public disorder are not present or are not present in sufficient numbers.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2012/1/section/1/enacted

Put round the other way, the fact that the Police are there at a football match to prevent disorder is irrelevant to the successful prosecution of such a charge.

Frankly I'm not sure why we're debating TBB now just because LB has her knickers in a twist.

The position on TBB is well known and documented as are the provisions of the Act.

Any debate has to start from that point.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Well do Police Scotland not police matches?,is it not their responsibility to police matches and decide who is to be arrested for sectarian chants?

That's a different point Ian, if I may say.

No one will be arrested inside a football ground for signing a sectraina chant only where:

The behaviour is—

(a)expressing hatred of, or stirring up hatred against, a group of persons based on their membership (or presumed membership) of—

(i)a religious group,

(ii)a social or cultural group with a perceived religious affiliation,

(iii)a group defined by reference to a thing mentioned in subsection (4),

(b)expressing hatred of, or stirring up hatred against, an individual based on the individual’s membership (or presumed membership) of a group mentioned in any of sub-paragraphs (i) to (iii) of paragraph (a),

©behaviour that is motivated (wholly or partly) by hatred of a group mentioned in any of those sub-paragraphs,

(d)behaviour that is threatening, or

(e)other behaviour that a reasonable person would be likely to consider offensive.

(3)For the purposes of subsection (2)(a) and (b), it is irrelevant whether the hatred is also based (to any extent) on any other factor.

(4)The things referred to in subsection (2)(a)(iii) are—

(a)colour,

(b)race,

©nationality (including citizenship),

(d)ethnic or national origins,

(e)sexual orientation,

(f)transgender identity,

(g)disability.

and in the opinion of a Police Officer

the behaviour—

(i)is likely to incite public disorder, or

(ii)would be likely to incite public disorder.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Ok,I forget with all that is happened the last few years!,so TBB is banned in any form for Rangers fans but any other teams fans can sing their own version?

TBB is banned by UEFA.

Any fans at any football ground are liable to prosecution if they commit an offence under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012

TBB is banned by UEFA.

Any fans at any football ground are liable to prosecution if they commit an offence under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012

Ok,and who decides if there is an offence committed?

A police officer on the day but it would then be up to the Special PF to decide whether to proceed.

So if plod doesn't raise the issue then there is no issue?.der berliner asked me what plod has to do with it?,it is very confusing!. The club needs to come out and specifically state that singing TBB is not allowed!