Rangers could face punishment over sectarian chanting

Why point out who 'Billy' was when you know it has no relevance whatsoever as to why Rangers fans have adopted the song over the last 60 years or more? Nothing at all to do with Fullarton - it was akin to the likes of the 'guff' that Spiers and the likes try to spin. The 'Billy' reference was adopted for the same reason that 'I'd rather be a Billy than a Tim' was sung in the 60s. But you knew that which is all the more confusing what your comment was trying to achieve.

Bearger may be shit-stirring but the song IS about Billy Fullerton.

“No list of proscribed songs,” say Police Scotland ahead of Celtic and Rangers derby

POLICE Scotland has said that there is no list of ‘banned’ songs for football fans, contradicting earlier newspapers reports ahead of the Celtic versus Rangers game on Sunday.

Reports in the 29 January edition of the Daily Record claimed there was a definitive list of songs, originating from 2011, which were proscribed in advance of Sunday’s League Cup Semi-Final between Celtic and Rangers.

When asked, the Daily Record refused to provide any clarification on where they had obtained the 'list' from.

After doubt was cast on the authenticity of this story, Chief Superintendent Andy Bates said on Thursday: “There is no list of songs as they constantly change and people can insert words into any song.”

While insisting no list exists, Bates warned that fans could still find themselves liable to arrest if they sing songs which police deem as offensive.

“If its clearly offensive, don’t sing it and conduct yourself responsibly at the football stadium,” he continued.

Many Celtic fans are from Glasgow's Irish diaspora and Republican songs remain commonplace among sections of the support. Followers of Rangers traditionally identify with loyalism and sing songs of this tradition.

This will be the first time Celtic have faced Rangers in their current form after the old club was liquidated in 2012. There has been significant media hype about the game and the potential for trouble and arrests.

Following a tumultuous Glasgow derby in 2011, the Scottish Government brought in the controversial Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications legislation which gave the police and prosecutors additional powers over singing at football games.

The legislation has faced heavy criticism with football fans claiming that the Act needlessly criminalises supporters and has led to excessive police harassment. Of the 154 cases taken to court last year, there were not guilty verdicts declared in 74 of them, 48 per cent of all cases.

There has also been confusion over which songs are deemed acceptable after the conviction of a Celtic fan for singing Roll of Honour, a song which commemorates the deaths of IRA hunger strikers during The Troubles, last year at Dundee Sheriff Court - just months after another Celtic fan had been cleared of charges in the same court over the same song.

Jeanette Findlay from Celtic campaign organisation Fans Against Criminalisation was present at numerous meetings with the police at the introduction of the Act. According to Findlay, on every occasion Strathclyde Police, and thereafter Police Scotland, insisted there was no list.

Findlay told CommonSpace that she believes “certain newspapers including the Daily Record are seeking to stoke, stir up ill feeling in advance of Sunday’s game. In order to do so they are even stooping so low as to make references to songs which do not exist and have never been sung.”

"I fear that Police Scotland wish to use this relatively insignificant game to further stoke the myth this legislation is necessary to control football fans."

“The so-called shame game in 2011 was used as the public excuse for this abominable legislation,” Findlay continued. “With separate funding of FOCUS (Football co-ordination unit for Scotland) now coming to an end I fear that Police Scotland wish to use this relatively insignificant game to further stoke the myth this legislation is necessary to control football fans.”

A Police spokesperson told CommonSpace: "In recent years police officers have been provided with training to enable them to recognise songs that are sectarian or otherwise offensive. This is one small part of our overall approach to tackling all forms of hate crime."

The match on Sunday will take place at Hampden Park and kick off at 1.30pm.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/176/no-list-of-proscribed-songs-say-police-scotland-ahead-of-celtic-and-rangers-derby

How many fans were arrested on Monday for singing?,none I guess. It is all just another attack on our club by the BHEASTS and backed fully by the media. I want our club to fight for the fans.

There are no banned songs

UEFA said they "didn't want involved in Scottish matters"

They can't ban a song and never did.

So UEFA have never contradicted themselves?

There is evidence that UEFA did ban the song. It appears you haven't seen it? Whether people wish to believe the authenticity is up to them (did the directors forge the letter that was seen by certain fans?) However 99.9 percent of us, including you and me, can't say for sure one way or the other.

My opinion is that they probably did ban it but there's certainly no proof either way that the exerpt of the letter that I've seen a copy of is a forgery or is genuine.

Bearger may be shit-stirring but the song IS about Billy Fullerton.

Nobody is disputing the song WAS about him originally - many decades ago. Ask anybody over the last 5 or 6 decades if they are celebrating Fullarton they will ask you WTF you are talking about.

There is evidence that UEFA did ban the song. It appears you haven't seen it? Whether people wish to believe the authenticity is up to them (did the directors forge the letter that was seen by certain fans?) However 99.9 percent of us, including you and me, can't say for sure one way or the other.

My opinion is that they probably did ban it but there's certainly no proof either way that the exerpt of the letter that I've seen a copy of is a forgery or is genuine.

So are police Scotland wrong the BD?

It's NOT banned.

Show me where it's banned....the onus of the argument is on you to disprove my assertion.

You can't as the ban doesn't exist.

I'm not being aggro just fed up of the misinformation from within.

THE BILLY BOYS IS NOT BANNED.

You don't think Celtic fans would have copies of this all over the net?

Seriously?

It doesn't exist.