Rangers could face punishment over sectarian chanting

If you think for a minute that anybody ever gives Billy Fullerton a single thought when they sing that song or even have done for decades then you are seriously deluded. Generations have sung the song as a tribal anthem pure and simple (and I believe you know it all too well!). The song was a song of Protestant tribalism adopted by the Bridgeton Derry in defiance against the likes of the Carlton Tongs and the Cumbie. I'm not in the position of glorifying gangs but as someone originally from the Toll it still gives me great pride that defiance is what still allows the red, white and blue to hang proudly from the windows in that little pocket of Glasgow's East End surrounded by that mob on either side. So to make out it was sung in support of fascism or wife beating is just plain pathetic crap.

Read the last line of my post, it agrees with your first line does it not?

At no time did I say that the song was sung in support of fascism or wife beating, just pointing out who the "Billy" was.

Meanwhile the club claim:

"The Club will assist Police Scotland in identifying those responsible for the unacceptable behaviour on Monday."

That's close to fatuous - I laugh when the timz put out things like that.

http://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-59/

The club has to make that kind of statement,it works for Lieswell,the fans groups should be talking to plod and get some sort of feed back

Read the last line of my post, it agrees with your first line does it not?

At no time did I say that the song was sung in support of fascism or wife beating, just pointing out who the "Billy" was.

Why point out who 'Billy' was when you know it has no relevance whatsoever as to why Rangers fans have adopted the song over the last 60 years or more? Nothing at all to do with Fullarton - it was akin to the likes of the 'guff' that Spiers and the likes try to spin. The 'Billy' reference was adopted for the same reason that 'I'd rather be a Billy than a Tim' was sung in the 60s. But you knew that which is all the more confusing what your comment was trying to achieve.

Here's what you wrote, " Some are gripped by an uncontrollable urge to mention the pope and the IRA. "

So what if they do ?

I don't do it myself but am still saying that anything our fans say, sing or do will still cause offence to the usual suspects - even where there is nothing to get bothered about . If it annoys the other side then more power to our fans who do it.

I disagree. There has to be some standards within football and within society.

You can't have one team saying we hate all black people, for example.

If our support were disciplined enough to show that the F word meant extremist Irish republicanism then we should be OK but that's obviously not the case. Likewise when the H word is used it's obvious they are not referring to Rangers fans most of the time.

We should accept that the F word and mentioning the Pope is not acceptable and move on. Use something like "rebel" that doesn't have the religious connotations, for example.

Let's set our own standards and not let them drop to the same as every other team who find the continuous use of the sectarian H word as acceptable.

Can we get one thing straight?

The song nor singing of it is NOT banned.

It never has been.

Anyone (wrongly) disagreeing can show me where it was banned.

The Billy Boys is our anthem and a great one.

It is NOT banned.

Exerpts of the UEFA ruling have been shown in the past. I think Frankie has a copy somewhere.

I disagree. There has to be some standards within football and within society.

You can't have one team saying we hate all black people, for example.

If our support were disciplined enough to show that the F word meant extremist Irish republicanism then we should be OK but that's obviously not the case. Likewise when the H word is used it's obvious they are not referring to Rangers fans most of the time.

We should accept that the F word and mentioning the Pope is not acceptable and move on. Use something like "rebel" that doesn't have the religious connotations, for example.

Let's set our own standards and not let them drop to the same as every other team who find the continuous use of the sectarian H word as acceptable.

Much worse is said in football chants within our own country...the UK. England dismisses it as "banter"....

Only in Scotland is there a problem......and agenda.

You make sense...in a pacificistic way...I agree.

Tis a shame we've been kicked from hell to high water by others...is it no wonder we are defiant?

We SHOULD be defiant.

The Billy Boys is not banned, a great chant and I amongst many will be singing it henceforth.

I have posted repeatedly this has nothing to do with fans being offended!,it is just part of an agenda against Rangers,but you would think by now Rangers fans would wise up and not use certain words,it really is that simple and would be a massive get it right up ye to all concerned,also it would not be punishable