EPL here we go again

From the SUN!!

By MARK WALKER

06:30, 19 Jan 2016

THE Old Firm could realise their dream of a move to England thanks to the LITHUANIAN champions.

Zalgiris Vilnius are set to apply for permission to Uefa for a switch to the Polish league.

Celtic and Rangers have never hidden their desire to switch to England — with Celtic’s major shareholder Dermot Desmond saying recently it was inevitable both clubs would move south.

While their ambitions have been resisted by Uefa, Vilnius are set to try their luck in securing a move.

Vilnius mayor Linas Kvedaravicius said: “It happens in other sports, so why not football.

“The Lithuanian league is not competitive enough and we want to test ourselves in Poland where there is a far better standard and more exposure.”

As if what happens in the Baltic will have any impact on the British scene. Or does the scribbler really believe that we would go after the EPL dream by getting into the English league (or even the EPL) through the courts? There are statutes of membership ... ach well, you don't know where to start here.

But it is "good" to see that DD gets a mentioning, as if he dreamt it up.

You may laugh but Cardiff and Swansea are in the English Leagues and coining in much more money than us; you could argue a precedent has been set. Personally I feel we should join a pan-european league with the likes of PSV, Anderlecht etc., the Danish clubs. That would challenge the EPL and so forth.

Unless the Premiership does a complete breakaway we would have to start in League Two at best.

We just climbed through the Scottish Leagues (almost there!) are we ready to do the same again in England?

The EPL is already under pressure from UEFA to reduce to 18 teams, so are the turkeys in the bottom half going to vote for Christmas, I doubt it.

If we got in, our attendances would put us in the top 6 but it's a pipe dream, not going to happen.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

You may laugh but Cardiff and Swansea are in the English Leagues and coining in much more money than us; you could argue a precedent has been set. Personally I feel we should join a pan-european league with the likes of PSV, Anderlecht etc., the Danish clubs. That would challenge the EPL and so forth.

The precedent was set because both of those clubs were set up before there was a Welsh league for them to play in. That wouldn't help us in any way mate. Apart from anything else, the SFA control who plays football in Scotland at any level. I just can't see them allowing us and the mankies to walk away and then permit our games against English sides to be played up here competing against Scottish fixtures.

The precedent was set because both of those clubs were set up before there was a Welsh league for them to play in. That wouldn't help us in any way mate. Apart from anything else, the SFA control who plays football in Scotland at any level. I just can't see them allowing us and the mankies to walk away and then permit our games against English sides to be played up here competing against Scottish fixtures.

That's why I see the Euro league as the way forward. Clubs like sporting Lisbon and Ajax have suffered because of the big 4 leagues. Even some of the swedish sides, Greek clubs all like us play in limited leagues. As regards the SFA, well money talks; they would have to allow us to exit the league - restraint of trade and all that..

Pretty sure the two Welsh clubs were granted access to the English leagues at a time when there was no Welsh Association in existence, so precedence wouldn't be set. I could be wrong but I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I doubt using that as precedence would see us gain membership though.

Would be great but highly unlikely to ever happen. The English leagues don't currently need us.