RST Write to Senior SNP Figures Over IRA Pub Visit

the cops make the decisions on operational matters. They will claim filming is necessary to impose this law. We had a similar situation with gun toting cops in small towns under the last Chief Constable. When cops make decisions and not politicians then you are heading for a police state, Lenin described such regimes as "Bonapartist" In "What Is To Be Done" he says such regimes are a precursor to revolution. In his day that meant top priority was given to a daily newspaper to keep workers informed. I suppose social media etc. is the modern equivalent

Edited by colinstein

They do call themselves Ultra on occasions and their badges and whatnot have a mild Ultra theme, but i think it a exaggeration, they are very tame in comparison to some Ultra groups on the continent. Their behavior at Ibrox is great imo, so i don't see the need for covert police surveilliance

I did say self styled ultras.

the cops make the decisions on operational matters. They will claim filming is necessary to impose this law. We had a similar situation with gun toting cops in small towns under the last Chief Constable. When cops make decisions and not politicians then you are heading for a police state, Lenin described such regimes as "Bonapartist" In "What Is To Be Done" he says such regimes are a precursor to revolution. In his day that meant top priority was given to a daily newspaper to keep workers informed. I suppose social media etc. is the modern equivalent

While agreeing with the sentiment behind your thinking there CS, that was fine and correct maybe as long as 25 years ago. Police officers at the more senior level nowadays are driven and led by politics. A family member of mine during an interview for a relatively senior position within the police was questioned on that days news in the Herald, Observer and other so called quality titles. His personal opinion on the editorials were what they were looking for. What that has to do with Buckied up neds running riot in city centres defeats me mate. At every level now policing is totally controlled by politicians from leaders of neighbourhood watch groups, through local councillors to MSP's and senior government members. Yes you are correct that police are in control of operational matters. But the politicians decide what exactly constitutes an operational matter.

Edited by boabie

Well, I went to "Hutchie" and I took up following Rangers because they won the first football match I was taken to see by my grandfather, Rangers v Third Lanark in 1957. I'm pretty sure that if my grandfather supported anyone it would have been the "Thirds" for cultural reasons and also because he lived just up the road from Cathkin in Mt Florida.

So I'm sorry but I still don't get your point. Let's say that Mr Yousaf's father and grandfather didn't support any team , let alone Celtic; and he was not influenced by peer pressure at school. (Although one of my cousins who went to Hutchie supports Celtic, so maybe there's an underground movement going on, all this was years ago.)

What are the "other" reasons, for Mr Yousaf supporting Celtic, please spell them out for us.

You'd need to ask Mr Yousaf his reasons, I don't know them. I just know they aren't the reasons most of us choose our team.

As a matter of interest BH, had your grandfather taken you to see Celtic v Third Lanark and they'd won would you be a Celtic supporter today?

You'd need to ask Mr Yousaf his reasons, I don't know them. I just know they aren't the reasons most of us choose our team.

As a matter of interest BH, had your grandfather taken you to see Celtic v Third Lanark and they'd won would you be a Celtic supporter today?

And he'd still be a fan of leach and lambias

I was speaking to a staunch SNP guy tonight and mentioned the og Salmond scored...he laughed it off and said it was intended to piss off the Rangers fans...???

Edited by Bearman

I was speaking to a staunch SNP guy tonight and mentioned the og Salmond scored...he laughed it off and said it was intended to piss off the Rangers fans...???

The SNP hate us. What do you expect? They mostly get their increased support nowadays from Celtc-supporting regions, hence this pub.

How many SNP MP's, MSP's, MEP's or councillors can you name who are known Rangers supporters ? I can't name any.

If you attend away games by train then you'll find yourself filmed when you get off the train (often asked for details too) and regularly in and around the ground. If you attend by bus, your bus will often be stopped and your personal belongings searched.

Of course CCTV is also a pre-requisite for most stadia nowadays also so everyone is filmed and monitored by the police at every Rangers home match.

How many MP's, MSP's, MEP's or councillors can you name who are known Rangers supporters ?

I've changed your quote slightly Rab, it pretty much still works though. The big question is why?