Learning from our mistakes: Rangers v Queen of the South

Don't remember him saying anything about the gym. They all get work to do at home with personnel website log ins that give them a technical analysis of the last game. Would imagine that would include instruction on what to do to improve.

Would imagine MW knows what he is doing. We are only looking from the outside in. Maybe the players need a rest and that is what the fitness coaches are suggesting is best

As I said I was making lunch so not too sure about him mentioning gym, could have just been my failing ears bud.

I was at MP a couple of weeks ago and got the lowdown on what happens from one of the Academy coaches.

Basically every player has a personalized gym program which they can do whenever they like (obviously not during Warburtons sessions though :D). I saw the sports science guys setup some drills for standardized testing. I also saw Jordan Thompson make his way to the gym for his daily work out and Robbie McCrorie had been in at 8am to do his gym session.

Regards analysis you are absolutely correct. The full time analyst takes all the footage from every game. He slices it so that each player can log onto his personalized website and see every single touch he has had during the game. The players also get the full game and are expected to watch it all. On top of all that the players see the catapult vests and they get personalized data such as vo2max and high sprint distance. They also are given little snippets of world class players in their position and what those players can achieve in those stats.

Watching those interviews with Warburton and Halliday a couple of things spring to mind....

1. Warburton us brutally honest in his assessment. Whilst not wanting to compare him to McCoist for fear of a thread running astray his brutal honesty is in stark contrast to McCoists post- match interviews where you wondered if he was watching the same game as us. Warburtons honesty is so refreshing !!

2. It is abundantly clear that Halliday, and presumably the rest of the team by extension, is not happy at the performance yesterday. That is the sign of the type of mentality I want at my club. We won..... But if we didn't play well then it isn't good enough and we need to rectify that and do better next time out.

3. I'm loving Hallidays comment... "We don't want to limp over the line. We want to win the last 6 or 7 games. The way this team has played this season we don't deserve to limp over the line." I LOVE that attitude.

The distance we have come in so many areas in such a short space of time is nothing less than phenomenal !!!

I am just thinking about it but the best substitution when we were 4-1 up would have been Zelalem. His ball retention skills would have been a better option than certainly Law and probably Shiels as well.

I am just thinking about it but the best substitution when we were 4-1 up would have been Zelalem. His ball retention skills would have been a better option than certainly Law and probably Shiels as well.

Glad your not MW :seal: Brave attempt at defending Zalalem whilst condemning Law and Shiels...poor contribution mate. Zelalem is a failed loan deal which can happen, whereas Law and Shiels actually get on the park under MW.

Good win but as the manager said we played poorly for long periods on Saturday.

Some credit is due to Queens though. They went man for man, worked incredibly hard and also played some very nice football themselves at times so it's no surprise they were dangerous - even at 1-4 down. By contrast, in the first half, important players for us like Miller and Holt struggled to get into the game due to a lack of space whilst players like Ball and Halliday's touch was poor meaning we had no fluency to our play.

Clearly a half-time chat sorted some of this out and the first 15mins of the 2nd period was excellent with three superb goals and you think game-over. But some slackness from Tavernier, Foderingham and Wallace resulted in a second Queens goal. Despite that we were comfortable enough and Clark missed a sitter late on before Halliday took a dreadful quick free kick, lost us possession and Queens broke well to score a third - meaning a nervous injury time for those fans that had stayed until the end.

Generally, it was very much another Jekyll and Hyde performance from most of the team. We were sloppy, our touch was poor and aside from just after half-time we didn't have enough zip to our play. Too many players also seemed to think the job was done and the subs again didn't work with Law, Shiels and Clark all struggling to affect the game - all three looking well short of match-fitness. Perhaps Zelalem would have been a better option in terms of ball retention but it was quite a physical game so I'm not sure he was fit enough for that after his lay-off.

All in all, it one was of those days where you take the result over the performance and we move onto what will be a very tricky game in Kirkcaldy next Saturday.