DM - Forrester close to extended deal

Rangers on the brink of extending Harry Forrester contract after impressing since January move from Doncaster

Winger Harry Forrester joined Rangers from Doncaster in January

Manager Mark Warburton is keen to extend his stay beyond end of season

Boss confirms that contract talks are at an advanced stage with Forrester

By Mark Wilson For The Scottish Daily Mail

Published: 01:27 GMT, 1 April 2016 | Updated: 01:27 GMT, 1 April 2016

Mark Warburton has revealed Rangers are on the brink of signing up Harry Forrester on an extended contract ahead of their Premiership return.

The 25-year-old winger joined from Doncaster in January on a deal until the end of the season and has impressed in recent weeks, scoring four times.

Forrester said recently that he was keen to stay at Ibrox and Warburton has now confirmed talks are at advanced stage.

‘Harry has been in and we are talking to the agent,’ he said. ‘Touch wood, that will be completed very soon.

‘I know Harry. I said right at the start that he was trying too hard because he needs to impress.

‘He just needs to be somewhere where he is settled and knows he is going to get football.

‘Harry is a street player. He would play football all day given the chance. He just needs to feel loved, for want of a more technical term.’

Rangers also have the likes of Nicky Clark, Nicky Law and Dean Shiels out of contract this summer, with Warburton adding: ‘We have spoken to a number of players and looked at different things.

‘We look at our options and see how we lie budget-wise. That’s important to get our planning right.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3518372/Rangers-brink-extending-Harry-Forrester-contract-impressing-January-Doncaster.html

That would be welcome news indeed.

Good stuff.

He's a very interesting player to watch actually. Doesn't have the same pace as McKay or O'Halloran but has better close control and it's his skill on the ball that often gives him an extra yard over opposition players.

For free a longer contract represents good business.

Totally agree that he deserves contract does not have to be a world beater but show the grit and determination allied to his ability which he seems to have.

Remember a player in the same vein a few years ago who although not a "superstar" kept many a player out of the team who "Stuart Munro"

Good news. Well deserved if he get's a deal. He has been a key member of the team in the past couple of months - complimented by the fact he is capable of playing in several different attacking positions. Seems to have struck up a good rapport with the fans in a short space of time too.

I am not sure if he is capable of making the step up in class for next season or if he can maintain his form as his early form for us was very inconsistent, but he came here on a 6 month deal to force a deal for nest season and I am sure we pretty much all agree that he has done what he had to do to earn that. As long as the wages are not too demanding he could be a decent squad player next season. Cant see him being a regular starter, I think we will need better quality than that in those key positions, but he seems to have the right attitude to work and an eye for goal.

Good stuff.

He's a very interesting player to watch actually. Doesn't have the same pace as McKay or O'Halloran but has better close control and it's his skill on the ball that often gives him an extra yard over opposition players.

For free a longer contract represents good business.

His touch with the ball at close control is sublime. He is very, very comfortable with the ball close and in small spaces. Not just his skill on the ball but also his foot speed in terms of moving the ball also gives him space.

I think he is one of those players who can be so unpredictable that they are almost unplayable. He will have his poor games but since his first goal came he has been one of our best performers IMHO.

Up until the Killie away game he did look like he was a mixture of desperate to please and a little unfit. Hes come on though and is playing with confidence. I think he'll prove useful next season after a full pre season under his belt

He is very unpredictable which makes him very dangerous and difficult for opposing players,he is at a good age(25) so plenty of room for improvement and worthy of an extension to his current contract. MW obviously has the self belief that he can get the best out of players and improve their game and so far that has been proved with his signings.

He is very unpredictable which makes him very dangerous and difficult for opposing players,he is at a good age(25) so plenty of room for improvement and worthy of an extension to his current contract. MW obviously has the self belief that he can get the best out of players and improve their game and so far that has been proved with his signings.

While I agree with what you are saying Ian re improving players, I would really like him to sign a couple of top class (within obvious reason) players and see how he manages them. Getting journeymen to play better at Ibrox in the second tier is one thing, bringing in international players and getting them to lead the team onto titles is quite another and I am relishing seeing him up the quality of signing over the next couple of seasons and see if his record is as good up a level as it has been at this fairly easy level.