[FT] Hibs 3 - 2 Rangers (Holt 41; McKay 85)

I think people have to watch the manger's post-match interview to see he realises exactly what went wrong and will look to fix it.

It was a really frustrating night but there's nothing major to worry about.

It's also worth highlighting a few positives from last night.

I thought McKay was top drawer and Tav also played very well. Zelalem was also very sharp when he came on and whilst he looked a bit lightweight at times, some of his interplay was sublime.

Generally I think we missed Waghorn and I'd fancy he'll be back fro the Cup Final. Bring them on!

We dominated from start to finish -- outwith a 5-minute spell here and there -- but we really lacked penetration. We struggled to created chances through slow play in the final-third. We gifted them 3 goals -- quite literally 'gifted' them, or at leat 2 of them -- the third was poor defending.

We seem to be using a mix of zonal- and man-marking at the corners. There is a line of 3 players on the 6-yard box defending the space, then the rest man-mark. A mix is probably the best way to go, but it's not working a the minute: we concede for too easily from set-pieces -- although a lot of that is down to having several smaller players. The zonal-players deal with the ball well enough (as in prevented a header on goal), but I don't know how Gunnarsson managed to get free at the back post?

Foderingham has just 'boobed'. I thought it was hilarious that the home-fans kept jeering with anticipation every time a ball was passed back to him. He's fluffed an easy catch, yes, but he was impeccable with the ball at his feet; Control was good, distribution was good, and he invariably found his man. It was just one of those things with the catch. He rarely makes a mistake with his feet.

I'm really disappointed in O'Halloran: he's not confident enough to create angles with a pass -- and tends to pass backwards as a result -- and then when he tries to use his pace on the outside, either he loses the ball to the defender or wiggles through only to fail to pick out any player in blue with a cross. He's got the raw ability, but I don't think he's quite in-tune with our way of playing yet.

Edited by Rousseau

If Warbs doesnt replace those two diddies at centre half for next season, we will not progress.

Yes we got over the line against the scum at the weekend, and as fabulous as that was, the frailties that have dogged us all season were still there, and were hugely visible last night.

I said to my mate at 2-0 down that the centre backs are not anywhere near good enough when they are on top form, but to see them when they are being complacent (somewhat understandable in a dead rubber match for us) is hands over the eyes stuff.

It's also worth highlighting a few positives from last night.

I thought McKay was top drawer and Tav also played very well. Zelalem was also very sharp when he came on and whilst he looked a bit lightweight at times, some of his interplay was sublime.

Generally I think we missed Waghorn and I'd fancy he'll be back fro the Cup Final. Bring them on!

Waghorn is a big player and offers a variation up front that we have at times missed.

A sharp and on it Waghorn makes it much more difficult for teams to defend against us.

Edited by buster.

I agree the centre-backs deserve criticism this season, and perhaps we do need better quality. It's unfortunate though. Kiernan exemplifies the situation for me: when he's on top-form, I think he can be sublime; positioning, ball control, distribution and tackling and general defending are all good, and very good in places. However, it's not consistent enough. For me it's the inconsistency that is the most frustrating: it's there, the ability, but we don't see it enough.

Edited by Rousseau

I agree the centre-backs deserve criticism this season, and perhaps we do need better quality. It's unfortunate though. Kiernan exemplifies the situation for me: when he's on top-form, I think he can be sublime; positioning, ball control, distribution and tackling and general defending are all good, and very good in places. However, it's not consistent enough. For me it's the inconsistency that is the most frustrating: it's there, the ability, but we don't see it enough.

I think it's easy to forget both Kiernan and Wilson are still just 24/25 respectively so inconsistency is likely at that age.

Imagine if we had a Davie Weir type player as first choice, with one or the other of them beside him. Our organisation would be better, our positioning would be better and we'd certainly be better in the air where required also. Instead we have too quite similar players who, while working quite well in the main, don't tend to command the other so mistakes happen. The goalkeeper also doesn't seem to command/organise his area enough either.

I'd like to expect a dominant, experienced centre half is high on the list of our targets as such a player would really help address our problems.

Warbs said that we were fit enough last night but I think everyone could see we were stiff and not at it last night. Hibs were rotten and we gifted them goals but we didn't really deserve anything out of that match. I think if you look at Tav recently, earlier in the season he was beating men almost every time he was in possession, now he doesn't look like hes quite got it in him. I think this 2/3 week break at the end of the season will work in our favour and we'll be fully refreshed for the final. A lot of these guys have played 90 mins in over 90% of our games this season.

I'd like to expect a dominant, experienced centre half is high on the list of our targets as such a player would really help address our problems.

Id like to see a dominant midfielder added to our options as the Premiership is likely to be far more physical than what we've come up against this season. Also for defending and attacking set pieces as I fear for us conceding a corner lately.

Id like to see a dominant midfielder added to our options as the Premiership is likely to be far more physical than what we've come up against this season. Also for defending and attacking set pieces as I fear for us conceding a corner lately.

Yes, effectively we need a new spine.

An experienced centre-half, a physical defensive midfielder and a strong striker to deputise for/battle with Waghorn.