[FT] Hibs 3 - 2 Rangers (Holt 41; McKay 85)

I agree the centre-backs deserve criticism this season, and perhaps we do need better quality. It's unfortunate though. Kiernan exemplifies the situation for me: when he's on top-form, I think he can be sublime; positioning, ball control, distribution and tackling and general defending are all good, and very good in places. However, it's not consistent enough. For me it's the inconsistency that is the most frustrating: it's there, the ability, but we don't see it enough.

I tend to agree iro consistency. There is a decent player with Kiernan, we saw that in the Celtic match, but last night he (and to be fair, the vast majority of the team) looked like they were playing in slippers waiting for the season to end. I had hoped that we would have learned our lesson re the weakness at corners, but yet again, we lost the first header and conceded as a result. Yes, the majority of the team are smaller than your typical hammer thrower, but Barcelona don't concede that many from set-pieces. Is it just that Spanish football is less direct, or are Barca better organised? (if Mo Johnstone says we look like Barca, who am I to argue!)

I expect the like of McKay (or wingers in general) to be more inconsistent, but you need the Centre Backs to turn out a 7 out of 10 performance week in, week out. O'Halloron has had a stop-start season since joining us, but I have to say that I was hoping for much more from him. He just doesn't appear to be a happy camper at the moment. He was congratulating the players on the weekend, but it didn't appear to be with the delight that the other subs demonstrated. Maybe he is just a more reserved individual or I am being overly critical, but he really needs to kick on. As our record signing under MW we need to see him having a much greater impact. To me he would be third choice behind a fit Waghorn and Forrester.

Although I agree a centre-half would be beneficial, I think a strong, destroyer-type defensive-midfielder would go a long way to solving many of our problems -- unfortunately, he has to be able to pass too with us, which makes it tricky. Ball has done well and shown glimpses of what he can bring, but he is only 20 years-old, so we can hardly expect him to 'take command'!

I tend to agree iro consistency. There is a decent player with Kiernan, we saw that in the Celtic match, but last night he (and to be fair, the vast majority of the team) looked like they were playing in slippers waiting for the season to end. I had hoped that we would have learned our lesson re the weakness at corners, but yet again, we lost the first header and conceded as a result. Yes, the majority of the team are smaller than your typical hammer thrower, but Barcelona don't concede that many from set-pieces. Is it just that Spanish football is less direct, or are Barca better organised? (if Mo Johnstone says we look like Barca, who am I to argue!)

I expect the like of McKay (or wingers in general) to be more inconsistent, but you need the Centre Backs to turn out a 7 out of 10 performance week in, week out. O'Halloron has had a stop-start season since joining us, but I have to say that I was hoping for much more from him. He just doesn't appear to be a happy camper at the moment. He was congratulating the players on the weekend, but it didn't appear to be with the delight that the other subs demonstrated. Maybe he is just a more reserved individual or I am being overly critical, but he really needs to kick on. As our record signing under MW we need to see him having a much greater impact. To me he would be third choice behind a fit Waghorn and Forrester.

Barcelona use a purely zonal-marking system -- no man-marking at all. Although they have one of the smallest sides in europe, they tend to have good aerial players at the back: Pique, Mascherano, Busquets etc. As offensive as they were, they had big Puyol chaperoning the defence for years!

I'm starting to think O'Halloran may be better central. His asset is his pace, so one would think a wing spot would be good for him, but his passing and movement is not up to scratch. If he was central he could use his pace in-behind, and to push the opposition defenders back; like Aguero does -- albeit nowhere near his quality! Like I said, I don't think he's quite 'in-tune' with his team-mates yet. Hopefully it will come with time. He does need to push on.

Videos and pics collected by Caledonia

FT: Hibernian FC vs. Rangers FC 3:2 (2:1)

1:0 Jason Cummings 5.min.

2:0 Anthony Stokes 18.min.

2:1 Jason Holt 41.min.

3:1 Niklas Gunnarsson 58.min.

3:2 Barrie McKay 85.min.

90 Minute in 90 Seconds

3 Minutes Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFLT0Sstdog

Goals by SPFL

21 Minutes Highlights (scroll down page)

http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=1849

Reaction Mark Warburton

Reaction Jason Holt

Pics by Willie Vass

http://willievass.photoshelter.com/gallery/200416-Hibs-v-Rangers/G0000ci8pjGSBtFQ/C0000FPOTtcv6CMk

Pics by Rangers FC

http://rangers.co.uk/news/galleries/gallery-hibs-v-gers/

Only saw the 90 in 90 version, as I was away to work last night. It was another instance where a Rangers manager manages to suprise you. For I was fully expecting to see O'Halloran, Clark, King, Law, Zelalem and Shiels playing, rather than the team that send the Yahoos howling. That he did use this side meant that - apart from looking for a win - he gave Hibs quite some respect. A respect that Stubbs and Co. lacked. Hence, I even more hope that the Fat Lady sings for Falkirk or Killie come the end of the season, as well as us in the Cup Final.

............................ but I don't know how Gunnarsson managed to get free at the back post?

Pete said it in post #101 earlier ........ and confirmed in the post match analysis on SKY Sports, wee McCann had the video evidence.

Basically he showed Kiernan organizing the defence & you could see him look @ Wilson and indicate Gunnarsson is your man to mark.

Soon as the ball was kicked Gunnarsson ran to the open space where he scored from while Wilson ignored him & ran to where the ball was going .................... it was as brutal as that, "brain not engaged" :facepalm:

Wilson was where Tav should have been and Tav where Wilson should have been.

Have said it before Wallace a good player,a decent person but not a leader or organiser on the park,should be sorting out defence in box.

Agreed we all know there are deficiencies and we all agree the manager will address these in the summer, but my worry is the right wing. For all we'll be recruiting I think most imagine Tav and O'Halloran will be the right wing combo and at the moment they just aren't doing it.

Tav plays like he hates O'H, his body language is negative and passes to the winger seem to have to be wrung out of him. O'H is clearly still finding his feet at Rangers, he's quiet, non-demonstrative but clearly has the skill and pace. When he turned his man on a sixpence last night only to look up and see no one ahead - due to Miller dropping deep these days - I bet he wished Waghorn was fit. This is one area that's going to need a lot of work, both on the pitch and in their heads.

Rangers is not a team for the faint hearted. I really hope Michael O'H gets settled in soon but it's a concern.

BTW, a few murmurs from people in the know or people who know people in the know or some friends and family whisper that Cummings is coming this summer. Just passing on this info from FF. His stats this season read 42 games, 24 goals, 4 assists. Last season 42 games, 21 goals, 10 assist. The persona needs some setting-straight sessions though, from what I have heard.