The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

Mildly surprised at Dean Shiels leaving. Thought he'd make a good squad player for a season, especially as a sub. Hope there will be an additional signing to replace him.

I think he'll have been on more than was perceived to be value for money, especially given the way the cotracts were structured at that time. You could probably get a player to contribute similar for a quarter of the money and put the rest towards other signings.

Edited by buster.

Mildly surprised at Dean Shiels leaving. Thought he'd make a good squad player for a season, especially as a sub. Hope there will be an additional signing to replace him.

We have signed Rossiter, Barton, Crooks and Windass so I don't imagine Shiels would have featured much anyway. If Kranjcar arrives too then I think we have midfield covered and should look to address GK, DF at ST positions.

Good luck wherever Dean goes! Good player to have around and helped us in our time of need.

Not really sure where you got that. He did nothing in the time he was with us and we were in the lower leagues.

If Kranjcar were to sign, it would remind me of a signing policy from yesteryear which was very big hit or too often an expensive miss.

We can hope with reason, that our improved footballing infrastructure (hopefully including due diligence) shorten the odds on such players being a hit.

Yes, but in fairness, those yesteryear signings usually also came with a transfer fee attached. The ones that MW has made has reduced the financial outlay to their salary only. And I cant imagine that either Barton or Kranjcar would be commanding massive salaries - in Barton's case he was offered more to stay at Burnley but he wanted a new challenge. In Kranjcar's case he was playing in the 2nd tier of the MLS.

Both players, if Kranjcar signs a 2 yr deal, have the opportunity of playing in front of 50,000 fans next season and, all going well, the opportunity to play in Europe the season after. How many clubs are going to offer those players that in their twilight years ? I doubt either really NEEDS the money so, for them (certainly with Barton), you see it as being a final chance to prove themselves at the highest level and with a new challenge.

With these two signed plus Rossiter, Windass and Crooks I am excited - now, Mr Warburton, just get me a commanding CB and full back cover and I will be happy :D

Not really sure where you got that. He did nothing in the time he was with us and we were in the lower leagues.

He was never a world-beater, but so too weren't the likes of Stuart Munro or even an Ian Ferguson of days gone by. He did his job when asked to, came to and stayed with us in our time of need, was thrown into a side of constant changes and of varying quality, but always gave his all. We all have a certain valuation of a player and probably differ when it comes to "good", but I'm still going with the above and add that he played 125 games for us (as an attacking midfielder, usually subbed on or off), scored 32 goals and assisted 23 more.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dean-shiels/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/21421/verein/124

He was never a world-beater, but so too weren't the likes of Stuart Munro or even an Ian Ferguson of days gone by. He did his job when asked to, came to and stayed with us in our time of need, was thrown into a side of constant changes and of varying quality, but always gave his all. We all have a certain valuation of a player and probably differ when it comes to "good", but I'm still going with the above and add that he played 125 games for us (as an attacking midfielder, usually subbed on or off), scored 32 goals and assisted 23 more.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dean-shiels/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/21421/verein/124

And was paid hundreds of thousands of pounds per year for the pleasure.

He was not value for money.At the end of the day,he was a poor addition IMO.