The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

And two-footed as well! Looks a bargain for the money. We could make a lot here from the sell-on. Think of Wanyama and Van Dyke at Keltic - we could use dough like that. Not that I'd be looking to sell him soon - just thinking further down the line.

He's 28 we'll be lucky if selling him on gets us 3 mil.

Did Tav sign an improved deal with us in the summer?

If not, his original buy-out clause will still be valid which I heard about from a nailed on source when we signed him, and it is quite a low number! It was a bargaining chip due to the fact he could have got a LOT more money elsewhere but came here knowing that if he was sold he would be able to negotiate better with a small buy-out figure.

As for this PNE lad, a striker scoring 6 goals in a season is dreadful, but their fans dont want him to go???

Did Tav sign an improved deal with us in the summer?

If not, his original buy-out clause will still be valid which I heard about from a nailed on source when we signed him, and it is quite a low number! It was a bargaining chip due to the fact he could have got a LOT more money elsewhere but came here knowing that if he was sold he would be able to negotiate better with a small buy-out figure.

As for this PNE lad, a striker scoring 6 goals in a season is dreadful, but their fans dont want him to go???

Tav did extend his deal. As for Garner there a lot of posts on the PNE forum where the story is running saying the negative tactics the PNE manager plays is restricting his goals!,Waghorn wasn't prolific either.

Thanks Ian, we may get a worthwhile bid for Tav at some point then without having to worry about that low buy-out.

Waghorn isn't prolific for us either. Take out the pens and last season was fairly average IMO. He is a good forward player, but not a lethal striker and his career stats for goals have been backed up by what I have seen from him so far. Misses far too many chances and doesnt get into the right positions naturally often enough to be a predator, but his work-rate, desire and commitment make him a decent player and I would certainly have him in my front 3 in this system, although I think he would be better suited in a twin striker partnership with a predator alongside. Waggy doing all the work pulling defenders away and a Boyd/McCoist type in the right spots to finish. Not going to happen under Warbs so pure speculation on my part.

Lifted from FF:

Preston_Ger

Preston_Ger is online now Trialist

05-01-2007

Default Re: Joe Garner

Two things here, he is not good enough for the championship which is a shame ( I follow PNE) but he still gives 100% each and every game and is easily our best forward. His lack of pace lets him down but when he gets chance to shoot he will. We tend to play a lot of high balls from the centre halves to him so when he does win the ball there is no-one feeding off him and the ball comes back at us.

The other thing is he wil get chance to play in front of 50,000 every second week and hopefuly get to play in Europe at Rangers.

In league 1 he had more time and played against lesser defenders so scored a bagful.

He will be a real fans favourite when he moves and will wind up the opposition and fans without doubt, he will hit the deck quite a lot when challenged from behind and wins a lot of free kicks that way. Very good in the air for his size, decent finisher, chases lost causes and a right pain to play against.

Good luck to him and the Gers.

Judging from what I have been reading about their most recent season which was their first in the Championship after promotion from league 1 it sounds like they were playing a style very familiar to us or at least familiar to us in the sense we see it played against us so regularly. The old park the bus and play a lone striker tactic. Their main priority was simply to consolidate in their first Championship season to stay in that league.

Garner was typically stranded up front alone against an entire back four who had little problems closing him down since he had little or no support at all. The fans love him because he's a local boy who grew up supporting the team rather than the typical Blackburn Rovers who are also local and he was THE key factor in their promotion season.

Apparently he's a hard worker who never stops running even when there is little to run for and you have tot think he would do considerably better than 6 goals in a team that wont be parking the bus and in which he will be surrounded by support coming from all angles rather than just waiting for the occasional long ball to chase alone.

Something for Niko and the wingers to aim for knowing he wall always be in there and he can take them high or low.

My understanding is he's 6ft so he'll give us much needed physical presence up front.

Looking at his scoring record it seems reasonable. You could put Vardy up front for the likes of PNE & he'd struggle to score with poor service.

Seems a decent acquisition if we get him.

Now for a CB.......

Judging from what I have been reading about their most recent season which was their first in the Championship after promotion from league 1 it sounds like they were playing a style very familiar to us or at least familiar to us in the sense we see it played against us so regularly. The old park the bus and play a lone striker tactic. Their main priority was simply to consolidate in their first Championship season to stay in that league.

Garner was typically stranded up front alone against an entire back four who had little problems closing him down since he had little or no support at all. The fans love him because he's a local boy who grew up supporting the team rather than the typical Blackburn Rovers who are also local and he was THE key factor in their promotion season.

Apparently he's a hard worker who never stops running even when there is little to run for and you have tot think he would do considerably better than 6 goals in a team that wont be parking the bus and in which he will be surrounded by support coming from all angles rather than just waiting for the occasional long ball to chase alone.

Something for Niko and the wingers to aim for knowing he wall always be in there and he can take them high or low.

Why am I thinking of Nicky Clark reading your post?

Andy Little urges Rangers to sign Preston striker Joe Garner

ANDY LITTLE reckons Rangers will be getting the new Stevie Naismith if they can clinch a deal for Preston striker Joe Garner.

North End boss Simon Grayson confirmed at the weekend the Light Blues have made an inquiry for the 28-year-old, who has a scoring rate of one in three for Preston.

Grayson says the Deepdale club don’t need to sell, but Mark Warburton wants another frontman – especially as Martin Waghorn is sidelined with a hamstring strain – and has confirmed that Garner is on his radar.

Former Rangers star Little played beside Garner at Preston in the Championship and is in no doubt that he would be a great acquisition.

The 27-year-old Northern Ireland attacker said: “I had heard rumours Rangers were interested in Garner and I’m not surprised.

“There was some chat that they were looking at him and I can totally understand that.

“Garner is a great player and he would do very well in Scotland.

“He is a bit of a Stevie Naismith type. There is not much to him but he gets stuck in and he battles for everything and he’s got a bit of magic in him as well.

“He has scored a lot of goals since moving to Preston and I’m sure he would do the same in the Premiership in Scotland.”

Grayson, whose side lost their league opener 2-1 to Fulham on Saturday, confirmed that Warburton is in the market but warned that Preston might not sell the player, who is rated at £1million.

He said: “Rangers are sniffing around. We have had an enquiry but we are not looking to sell Joe.

“Every player has got a price, I suppose – they do at every club in the world – and we have to do what is right as a club.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/699979/Andy-Little-urges-Rangers-to-sign-Preston-striker-Joe-Garner