The Summer Transfer Rumour Round-up Thread

PRESTON NORTH END manager Simon Grayson has confirmed Rangers' interest in striker Joe Garner.

Garner played the full 90 minutes for Preston in their match against Fulham this afternoon however in quotes attributed to the Lancashire Evening Post, Grayson spoke of the rumours on the striker which have been circulating in the past 24 hours.

Grayson said "Rangers are sniffing around, they are wanting to try and take Joe Garner.

"We have had an enquiry but we are not looking to sell Joe.

"If anyone comes in with an offer we will contemplate it and do the right thing for this football club.

"But as a football club we don’t want to sell anyone.

"Every player has got a price I suppose – they do at every club in the world – and we have to do what is right as a club."

PA WireRangers' Kenny Miller scores his sides second goal during

Rangers are believed to have intensified their search for a striker in recent weeks and their need for a goalscorer has been emphasised further after Martyn Waghorn suffered a hamstring injury against Hamilton last weekend.

That leaves Mark Warburton with veteran Kenny Miller and new signing Joe Dodoo to lead the line - the former netted the second goal in Rangers' 2-1 victory at Dundee earlier on Saturday afternoon.

28 year-old Joe Garner has spent the last four seasons at Preston, netting 49 goals in 127 games.

However the forward who has previously played for Blackburn, Carlisle, Nottingham Forest, Scunthorpe and Watford, only found the net on six occasions last term in Preston's first season back in the English Championship, following promotion in 2014/15.

Edited by BEARGER

I saw a figure of 750K up front plus add ons being bandied around someplace. Judging by what Preston fans are saying they don't want him to go but if he does then they already have a surplus of strikers anyway so it makes sense for them to get some money out of him to strengthen elsewhere in the squad.

He's 5ft 10 according to both transfer market and wiki but that doesn't put me off him in any way. Crooks is at least 6ft 3in and allegedly up to 6ft 5in according to Windass but I don't know how we could accommodate all these players in the same team. Not that i'm complaining, better than last year when we struggled to fill a bench at times.

If Garner comes in the midfield and striking areas would have a depth of good cover leaving just the problem CB area to be resolved which hopefully will be. Every time he makes his now customary remarks about new signings he almost invariably mentions two. I think we can be pretty certain a second wouldn't be another midfielder or a striker.

Rangers star set for shock exit: Club president confirms £2.5m deal is close

TRABZONSPOR will step up their bid to land Rangers defender James Tavernier this week after their president claimed they were close to sealing a £2.5million deal.

By Mark Walker

PUBLISHED: 22:30, Sat, Aug 13, 2016

James Tavernier could be set to leave Rangers with Trabzonspor closing in on a £2.5m deal

The Ibrox right-back – who played in the 2-1 win at Dundee – has been a key man for Mark Warburton since he snapped him up last summer from Wigan.

But despite just signing a new contract extension last month, the 24-year-old is very much in the sights of ambitious Turks Trabzonspor.

And their president, Muharrem Usta, has told their fans they expect to complete a deal to sign a new defender soon.

He said: “We are in negotiations to sign a new right-back.

“We expect the deal to be concluded this week.”

Warburton insisted this week that Trabzonspor had not made contact with Rangers, but admitted every player had their price.

He said: “I never want to lose any of our players, but the harsh reality is that if a player leaves a club, he leaves hopefully on your terms and not on someone else’s.”

Reports claim Tavernier is Trabzonspor’s No 1 target to replace Belgian defender Luis-Pedro Cavanda, who moved to Galatasaray this week in a £1.5m deal.

As I said anyone who goes to Turkey in the present climate is off their head. Tav will also not last long if he defends like he did with us. The fanatical supporters there will murder him. Totally wrong move for him.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...+Sport+Feed%29

Edited by pete

I would have reservations about that, we're trying to build a team not sell one and since he is contracted for another 3 years there is no need to rush him out the door to cash in at this time.

As I said anyone who goes to Turkey in the present climate is off their head. Tav will also not last long if he defends like he did with us. The fanatical supporters there will murder him. Totally wrong move for him.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/footb...+Sport+Feed%29

His defending has been much improved this season. Whether that is permanent or temporary remains to be seen.

I don't think he will go - I think we could get more for him if he continues defending well whilst still providing an attacking threat - especially if we make Europe next season.