Warburton urges Rangers fans to smash Ibrox season ticket sales record this summer

MARK Warburton has urged Rangers supporters to break the record for season ticket sales this summer and boost the Ibrox club’s hopes of challenging Celtic for the Ladbrokes Premiership next season.

Nearly 38,000 Rangers fans bought season books during the 2015/16 campaign – a level of backing that helped Warburton’s side to romp to the second tier title and automatic promotion to the top flight.

Now the Englishman is hoping they can go over the 42,500 mark despite prices going up by nearly 20 per cent to the level they were at when Rangers were last in the Premiership in the 2011/12 season.

“I feel the board have shown their total commitment,” said Warburton. “We trust the board. I hope they trust us to make the right decisions. I think we are in a good place right now.

“I think the season ticket response, 37,500 this season, fantastic, incredible numbers. What we have to do now is improve that.

“If we can give the supporters a confidence in terms of our recruitment, our playing style, if we can win the Scottish Cup, then can we try and rival the previous all-time high of season tickets?

“That was 42,500, huge numbers. If we can do that the club is in a great place. That has got to be a target for us.

“It’s a tough ask, but the supporters have backed us all season, now we have to show them that we are in a good place and the club is still moving forward.”

Warburton has presented Dave King, the Rangers chairman and major shareholder, with his signing targets for the summer and is hopeful he will be able to bring in the players he has identified.

The former Brentford manager has stressed that, with the Euro 2016 finals being played in France this summer, he is hoping to strengthen his squad as early as possible.

“Recruitment is everything,” he said. “We have a good strong squad of players, but we need to add quality, experience and depth to the squad which we will do. The work has been going on for several weeks now. Hopefully, you can get as many of your permanent signings in as early as possible. That is the key.

“The EPL loans will come later. Those guys will go on tours with their respective clubs. You are looking to late July to secure any young player. Try and do your work as early as possible. With the Euros, the shelves will be empty much quicker so do your shopping early.

“Right now, we are getting the backing we need. We need to show that we know the market, which is very important.”

Meanwhile, Warburton has revealed that he knows what finishing in second place behind Celtic in the Premiership will be unacceptable to Rangers supporters next season despite the financial problems the Ibrox club continues to wrestle with.

Asked if Rangers would be able to compete for the Premiership in an interview with BT Sport, he said: “We have to. Second is last. From a Rangers perspective, second is last. You have to make sure you understand that. If you do, you are halfway there to recognising what they expect as a group of supporters and as a club.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14470090.Warburton_urges_Rangers_fans_to_smash_Ibrox_season_ticket_sales_record_this_summer/

Second is last. From a Rangers perspective, second is last. You have to make sure you understand that. If you do, you are halfway there to recognising what they expect as a group of supporters and as a club.

I absolutely love that quote, and it shows he is learning that this is no ordinary club.

Edited by Frankie

I will renew next week.

When the renewal notice pops through the letterbox, I am mindful of a discussion piece on BBC Radio Scotland four years past. It was the usual suspects, it was a Saturday evening. Jum Spence was urging the SFA to consider most carefully, Rangers application for a license. Remember, it was only granted on the Saturday evening before our Ramsdens Cup tie against Brechin City at Glebe Park, 12.30hrs kick-off. Cosgrove forwarded the case for other clubs wanting to access senior football, they had been trying harder and waiting longer. Tom English concluded that we would be licensed, because our supporter base warranted it so. Cosgrove and Spence fulminated at this contribution and it ended with Big Stu' proclaiming, "whatever, they're toast. The situation has changed and Rangers supporters have to recognise their future of Ibrox attendances of 8,000".

I urge my fellow Gersnetters to renew.

Have already done so with CCCM and options away games and non-league cup games. Probably won't buy any pre season friendly tickets as I find these games boring.

Cup final then holiday then new season lots to look forward,also going on Founders Trail in July.

Renewed my ST earlier this week. Ticked all the boxes as always. Still wont go to friendlies though unless we have a marquee signing (cant see it) I want to see play or the opponents are interesting as the games are usually absolutely awful.

I hope the Bears get motivated to buy ST this year. I think we will as long as we keep up the marketing right up through the close season. In excess of 40K would be a success.

I think 40k is a reasonable target. I'd expect 99% of those who bought season tickets last year will renew, and given the quality of football this season, and potential european football next season (emphasis on potential), we'll see thousands of new applicants for season tickets. I renewed last week =D

Second is last. From a Rangers perspective, second is last. You have to make sure you understand that. If you do, you are halfway there to recognising what they expect as a group of supporters and as a club.

Agree with Tannochsidebear, this quote is Struth like in its gravitas.

Renewed mine. Did not tick for away games, just cannot see me ever going to SPFL PL away ground again. Prefer my money to go to Rangers

Did u tick every other box?

Wondering what to do with my ST renewal form is why I'm asking