'The strength of Scottish football'

I'm the wrong side of 50 now & I'd doubt in my lifetime if I'll ever see Scottish football back where it once was in a respectable place within European football.

That decision to throw Rangers out the then SPL is now coming back to haunt Scottish football with a vengeance. There is no money in Scottish football to make things get better. Why should TV companies and other sponsors put serious money in when its teams can't beat teams from the likes of Malta?

It all goes back to the summer of 2012 when ten clowns masquerading as SPL dealt Scottish football a blow from which it may well never recover.

Whilst many of us may have nothing but contempt for disgraced former Rangers CEO Charles Green he was bang on when stating Rangers needed to get out of Scottish football. It's not short of going into free fall IMO

I remember a time when being in Europe beyond Christmas was taken for granted and a draw with almost anything outside say, England, Italy, Spain or Germany was considered a bye.

I remember a time when being in Europe beyond Christmas was taken for granted and a draw with almost anything outside say, England, Italy, Spain or Germany was considered a bye.

Aye, but in they days you only played two or three rounds pre-Xmas, now you can play three rounds before the end of August! Your point about opponents is spot on, with the odd exception of a right good team from the Iron Curtain or perhaps Holland/Portugal.

I remember twenty-odd years past, Glenn Gibbons' piece in the Hootsmon, taunting Rangers supporters with an article stating out of Europe before the nights got dark.

Well, both Edinburgh teams are out of Europe before the schools go back.

My dream draw for the last 16 of the league cup is hibs at Ibrox. That would rapidly knock the wind out of their sails and incidentally apparently they are proud of their team after Brondy. You know what level you are when you're proud of going out in the first round of a Euro competition.

Well actually maybe they don't know their level but everyone else does. Chances are they're lucky they didn't have to play through the group stage of the betfred cup far less Europe.

Unfortunately we can't get Hibs (or the other European stalwarts) in the last 16 of the LC as we will both be seeded. Some lucky unseeded team will get the good fortune to eliminate Hibs due to a bad decision, unbelievable bit of luck, or downright cheating.

Unfortunately we can't get Hibs (or the other European stalwarts) in the last 16 of the LC as we will both be seeded. Some lucky unseeded team will get the good fortune to eliminate Hibs due to a bad decision, unbelievable bit of luck, or downright cheating.

Be nice to meet them in the final!

I find it hard to contribute anything constructive on threads regarding that lot.

My feelings were well documented before the SC final, and I feel were justified after the behaviour or lack there of, after the final.

It genuinely saddens me that Petrie has been allowed to wiggle out of this. Their followers are beneath contempt.

The way their fans goaded and intimidated disabled and children who had been sitting at the front of the main stand at Hampden tells you everything you need to know about them.

In turn it reveals everything you would wish to know that sits deep in Scottish society that such behaviour is at first described as "over exuberance" and has been cast aside and swept under the carpet as "frolics" by luvvies from Edinburgh.

A few token arrests from plod Scotland who are a national disgrace is hardly an appropriate or socially acceptable response from our law enforcement custodians(chuckle chuckle??)

Edited by cooponthewing

I don't think it's seeded at the last 16 stage, I think it's a traditional straight draw because there is no mention of any seeding beyond the group stages.

The eight group winners and four best runners-up progress to the second round, where they are joined by the four clubs competing in Europe - Celtic, Aberdeen, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian.

The tournament reverts to a traditional knock-out format from the second round onwards.

I have definitely read somewhere that the 4 Euro clubs and 4 with the best record from group winners get seedings in last 16, which has been a seeded round for many years.

You may be right but I can find nothing saying so. Seeding isn't mentioned beyond the group stage.